GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Sub & Amp Install

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
sounds great. How to you like the RE audio stuff, they are new to me, but they make a nice 8" sub i might try

FFAC

Ready to race!
after reading through all the sub installs i decided to make my setup cleaner..

i am still waiting on my box from nic at uberstealth, UPS says its in chino now, so about a day away. Nic was great and got my box out in a week, big thanks!!!

here is what i did with my amp!

apologies for the iphone pics, i'll get the nice camera out after i get the box and its all installed.

That is pretty cool, I just couldn't fit my amp there...I have got a pretty big amp so I just bolted it to the top of my box.

Definitely post pics of your set up when it is all finished up.

yada22

Ready to race!
sounds great. How to you like the RE audio stuff, they are new to me, but they make a nice 8" sub i might try

so far i'm really happy with the set up. i'm coming from a JL w6 and a jl 500/1, so its a down grade but at 30 i dont need all that power anymore, lol. this set up is nice and clean sounding and sub has a nice and fast response time, so metal and rock sound real nice!!

i got that sub i sent you a link too and the amp on black friday for about $150, so no complaints here at all!

yada22

Ready to race!
ok guys here's my setup, finally all done!!

i used the SOT976 ISO rather then hacking into my factory wires to fun the LOC.

heres the SOT976 ISO:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

heres the LOC i used:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EIS-LOC-T.html

I used this PAC LC1, rather then a kill switch. this allows me to control the amount current going to my amp through my RCA's, so i can adjust the bass to the music i'm listening too. we all know how it can vary between rock, metal and hip hop.

heres the PAC LC1:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

here is a pic of the location, i'm not totally happy with it here, but i'm yet to identify a better location that is still hidden.

i hid the amp under the rear floor.

I used one of Nic's uber stealth audio sub boxes. I must say that not only is the box top quality, but Nic was extremely helpful and responsive. he also had to make adjustments to his normal box to cater to my particular sub.

i am very pleased with the sound, eventually i'll gut it all and replace the interior speakers, a 4 channel and a JL clean sweep, but this works for now.

i also put these on the other day :)

thekaptn

Ready to race!
Looks great bud, I just got my box done by Nik as well.

I was laughing that you and I almost have the exact same funny button stickers setup except I used the mario kart mushrooms instead of the trunk monkey.

Enjoy your system!

yada22

Ready to race!
all your links are broke.
here you go, the company that had my LOC no longer has it, but the one i got had the remote wire built into it for your amp. so i didnt need to tap into and other 12v.

heres the SOT976 ISO:
http://www.amazon.com/SoundGate-SOT976-Vehicle-Vehicles-2002-2009/dp/B002BA5H0U

heres the PAC LC1:
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Universal-Remote-Control-Interconnect/dp/B003UTKJWM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1295542341&sr=1-4

yada22, that setup looks great! I hope the sound is worth all of the work you put in.

i'm quite happy with the sound and this was a lot less work then it looks. if i had everything all at once it would have taken me a afternoon on the weekend!!

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Is this something that is easy to do? I've never done installs on any of the cars that I've owned and I was thinking of trying this out. I've seen how the wires are run but doing the harness on the deck I'm not too fond of. I had phoned a local audio shop that I've gone to before and they told me it would be $75 an hour at 3-5 hours of labor. I can't say that I was impressed with that. All that they would be doing is running wires and hooking it up to the OEM deck. I had talked to my best friend who has done all his audio stuff and he said it shouldn't be that hard. Well, all that he has owned is domestics.

So I'm wondering? What are the potential problems I could run into? What are some other things that I would need. I have an amp, sub, sub box. I know that I would need an amp kit of course, is there anything else? Rather than patients and a couple of hours of time? My appointment at the audio shop is on Friday and I don't want them to have my car all day, so help me out guys.

yada22

Ready to race!
Is this something that is easy to do? I've never done installs on any of the cars that I've owned and I was thinking of trying this out. I've seen how the wires are run but doing the harness on the deck I'm not too fond of. I had phoned a local audio shop that I've gone to before and they told me it would be $75 an hour at 3-5 hours of labor. I can't say that I was impressed with that. All that they would be doing is running wires and hooking it up to the OEM deck. I had talked to my best friend who has done all his audio stuff and he said it shouldn't be that hard. Well, all that he has owned is domestics.

So I'm wondering? What are the potential problems I could run into? What are some other things that I would need. I have an amp, sub, sub box. I know that I would need an amp kit of course, is there anything else? Rather than patients and a couple of hours of time? My appointment at the audio shop is on Friday and I don't want them to have my car all day, so help me out guys.

please re-read through the thread, the OP does a fantastic job of walking you through his process and what he used. I myself have posted everything that i used and why, outside of the sub and amp.

good luck and feel free to ask any questions that you have.

its time consuming but not hard by any means :)

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Is there much of a difference between the GTI top of the line deck to the Golf basic radio/aux deck? When it comes to hook ups etc?

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
i did an install of a guy last week and did it in 3 hours, and this also included fitting the amp, cutting some wood and carpeting it to mount the amp to, removing head unit, tapping wires, running wires, and mounting the sub and installing the box, and i am not a pro

FFAC

Ready to race!

If this is your first time installing a sub/amp, I think you should set aside more than a couple hours. The best thing I did was to give myself a full weekend...doing this for the first time is pretty difficult. What would be great is if you could get your audio buddy to help you through the install, the install should not take more than 3 hours with a knowledgeable person at hand.

@ $75/hr for 3-5 hours of labor, you're going to have a pretty big bill waiting...I say install it yourself and if you have any problems, come back here and we will try to help...