GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's Golf 6 HID Replica Headlights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Got it working. Redid the jumper wire and seems to have a better connection and now working.
Went back to 15 for byte 18. 22 disables drls.
So byte 18 set to 15 works for cars with led rear lights with rear fog.

Only problem now, the side markers are on with the drls. Is this the same for everyone? Anyway to get them off? (besides color coded replacements and removing the bulbs).

EDIT: don't got it. Damn drl left and right bulb out errors and the xenons are flickering on startup. Maybe need another byte 18 code.
Wish someone could help :-(

EDIT 2: changed byte 18 to 04 this morning and seems to work better. No bulb out error so far. LEDs and sidemarkers are actually now brighter and rear LEDs and rear fog works fine.
Would like the sidemarkers off in drl mode though.
Maybe this helps someone else

So from what I read if I read it right you have the LEDs as DRL's? I also have euro switch with OEM LEDs with rear fog and I would like to be able to not turn my switch to the park position to be able to have the LEDs on. My current set up when I turn it to parking I get LEDs in front, side markers, and tails light up. Ill hook up to VAGCOM tomorrow and get a read on what I have right now. I just want to be able to have the LEDs on for DRL's so I don't have to keep turning my switch on. Help would greatly be appreciated

Atty

Ready to race!
I was running the kit but the driver bulb turned purple/pink after a week. Not saying it will happen to you but I got a refund from ed and just ordered a morimoto kit last week. Waiting for them to come in so I can put the headlights back in.
What kit from morimoto works for these?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
So from what I read if I read it right you have the LEDs as DRL's? I also have euro switch with OEM LEDs with rear fog and I would like to be able to not turn my switch to the park position to be able to have the LEDs on. My current set up when I turn it to parking I get LEDs in front, side markers, and tails light up. Ill hook up to VAGCOM tomorrow and get a read on what I have right now. I just want to be able to have the LEDs on for DRL's so I don't have to keep turning my switch on. Help would greatly be appreciated

Yep. Have LEDs working as drls and they stay on at same brightness in parking lights position and in low beams position.
So check what your code for byte 18 is. I suspect it is 15.
You will need to add the jumper wire between pins 4 and 10. There is no pin 4 "receiver" on the headlight. There is the drl circuit coming in on this pin to the cars plug. The LEDs are wired as parking lights and that's the pin that goes into number 10. The jumper wire takes the drl circuit signal from pin 4 to output to the leds through pin 10. So doing the correct coding and adding the jumper wire gives you the LEDs as drls and still on in all positions.
Make sure the harness connectors are pressed in hard and clicked.
Put one end of the jumper wire between the silver receiver clips in pin 4 on the cars harness plug and loop over the other end and put it down the outside of the silver receiver clips in pin 10 - so they are pushed out to make contact with the jumper wire whilst allowing the headlight pin to fit in ok.

I found changing byte 18 to 04 works best and has the LEDs at a higher brightness than other codes.
Also coded byte 27 - bit 2 on; byte 24 - bit 7 on; byte 15 - bit 6 and 7 on; byte 14 - bit 1 on and bit 3 off.

I have the auto euroswitch and sensor and just left it there all the time.
Give this a go.

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Yep. Have LEDs working as drls and they stay on at same brightness in parking lights position and in low beams position.
You will need to add the jumper wire between pins 4 and 10. There is no pin 4 "receiver" on the headlight. There is the drl circuit coming in on this pin to the cars plug. The LEDs are wired as parking lights and that's the pin that goes into number 10. The jumper wire takes the drl circuit signal from pin 4 to output to the leds through pin 10. So doing the correct coding and adding the jumper wire gives you the LEDs as drls and still on in all positions.
Put one end of the jumper wire between the silver receiver clips in pin 4 on the cars harness plug and loop over the other end and put it down the outside of the silver receiver clips in pin 10 - so they are pushed out to make contact with the jumper wire whilst allowing the headlight pin to fit in ok.

I found changing byte 18 to 04 works best and has the LEDs at a higher brightness than other codes.
Also coded byte 27 - bit 2 on; byte 24 - bit 7 on; byte 15 - bit 6 and 7 on; byte 14 - bit 1 on and bit 3 off.

Give this a go.

Ok I'll give this a try. I just have to come up with some of the copper wire for the jumper and wait for my morimoto kit to come in and put the headlights back in. When I put in the tails and euro switch I have one wire that isn't pugged into my CECM don't remember which one it it. Ill check later and figure out and let you know what codes I have

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Don't know what wire you mean not plugged into the cecm.
All mine are plugged in. I added the two trigger wires and swapped the wires between the black and brown cecm modules to get the rear fog working (second trigger wire for front parking lights). No wires are left unconnected. You have to reconnect the swapped wires - causes problems if you leave one out. Even though the vortex tutorial says to leave one out. I suspect this is what you did. I may be wrong

For rear fog wiring it should be:
- Run the yellow trigger wire from pin #7 on the euro headlight switch to Black CECM pin #17
- Switch the wire in black cecm pin #28 to brown cecm pin #47
- Switch the wire from brown cecm pin #47 to black cecm pin #28

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Don't know what wire you mean not plugged into the cecm.
All mine are plugged in. I added the two trigger wires and swapped the wires between the black and brown cecm modules to get the rear fog working (second trigger wire for front parking lights). No wires are left unconnected. You have to reconnect the swapped wires - causes problems if you leave one out. Even though the vortex tutorial says to leave one out. I suspect this is what you did. I may be wrong

For rear fog wiring it should be:
- Run the yellow trigger wire from pin #7 on the euro headlight switch to Black CECM pin #17
- Switch the wire in black cecm pin #28 to brown cecm pin #47
- Switch the wire from brown cecm pin #47 to black cecm pin #28

Ok I checked it out and I don't know what I was thinking but my wires are fine. I also realized I forgot to code for my headlights and when I went into VAGCOM I had 11 faults. So once I get my morimoto kit ill be sure to code everything.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Ok I checked it out and I don't know what I was thinking but my wires are fine. I also realized I forgot to code for my headlights and when I went into VAGCOM I had 11 faults. So once I get my morimoto kit ill be sure to code everything.

Damn. just saw your message on the computer (not phone) and see you are in germany. Is it a US imported car?
Wouldnt think there is any wiring mode needs on German cars for the rear fog.
The 04 coding and other stuff on the headlights may also work.

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion

Give this a go.

I finally got my kit in and just finished putting my headlights back in. I tried the codes from the first page. I have my fogs set as corner lights so only checked bit 3 on byte 14. Everything seems to be in order but if I change byte 18 to 1F I get check left reverse light error. So I changed it back to 22. I tried to change 18 to 04 but for some reason it dimmed my LEDs super low so changed it back.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
They get brighter for me with 04. Weird.
Assume you have a rear fog - required in Germany. Which i guess you also have as the code 1F is for without rear fog.
Try byte 18 set at 15.

You should turn off byte 14 bit 3.

You don't mention anything about doing the wiring mod or any other things so not sure how that went or if you got the leds as drls working

gbones92

I've searched the forum high and low for the answer to this question and I can't find it. So either I'm incompetent (probably) or it's hidden.

Anyways,

Where have you guys been locating the ballasts after installing the headlights?

Thanks a bunch.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I put my passenger side one fixed to the bottom screw for the headlight.
Drivers side I used 3m double side tape and stuck to the side of the airbox next to the headlight.

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
They get brighter for me with 04. Weird.
Assume you have a rear fog - required in Germany. Which i guess you also have as the code 1F is for without rear fog.
Try byte 18 set at 15.

You should turn off byte 14 bit 3.

You don't mention anything about doing the wiring mod or any other things so not sure how that went or if you got the leds as drls working

Yes I have OEM tails with rear fog also have euro switch. I have it coded for 22 since that is halogens with rear fog. It isn't required since I am a American stationed here and my car is US spec. Byte 14 bit 3 is now off. I changed 18 to 15 and now I have a 00061 footwell lights open or shot to plus. Car accepted 15 with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.