Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake1090

Go Kart Champion

This shows the peeling

This shows the how it gets foggy in the light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lmari

Hi, I am new to the forum. I've read probably over a hundred pages of entries relating to a HID retrofit and some details I am still not clear on. I am hoping the collective brains on this forum can help me :)

My current setup: Canadian 2011 Golf TDI with halogens.

Ordered:
- Set of Ed's replicas, chrome, 15 LED's

- 1x D2S: Morimoto Elite HID System
Wire Harness: Canbus: H7
Kelvin: 5000K
Bulb Spec: 50w: Morimoto 5Five
Ballasts: 50w: Morimoto 5Five

The questions I have are:

1. Should I return and get D2H?
2. Is it ok to run 55w? Should I get a 20amp fuse or a relay harness? Or return for 35w? Their site says its not recommended to run CANBUS with 50w...not sure why.
3. The question I can't seem to find an answer to is... I want to run LED's as DRL and then when I turn the low beams on, I want the LED's AND HID's to be running, is that possible?

Thank you in advance for any help that you guys can provide!

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
You should use 35W. Return them and get the D2H anyway for the new ones.

You can get LEDs as drl using the right coding and the jumper wire in the connector harness. Look through the thread and the posts that are not too far back from this, and mine in it.

Lmari

Thanks for the reply.

I know this may seem like a lot to ask but I am very limited in knowledge here. Your posts are a running dialogue of how you were experimenting and I don't have the knowledge to keep up. Is it possible for you to post your final coding for LED's to be on as DRL and stay on with Low beam?

Also, I do not have LED rear lights or a euro switch, will that matter?

Thank you!!

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Yeah they are rambly.

Since you don't have rear led tail lights then you probably don't need to mess with byte 18. But may have to.

The LEDs are wired as the parking lights. There is no drl bulbs in the headlight and therefore no connection pin on the end of the cars drl circuit. Therefore we need to add the jumper wire between pins 4 and 10 in the cars harness to take the cars signal on the drl circuit through the jumper wire and onto the parking lights pin (the LEDs). That should get you the LEDs coming on when the switch is off.
But the LEDs are a lower resistance of a normal bulb so you need to code the car to accept that the lights in the drl circuit are LEDs so it won't put a bulb out error.
Your byte 18 is probably coded to 03 - which will have LEDs as parking lights.
Try installing the jumper wire first and see if all works ok. It may well do.

If not then try coding.
I think you code (in 09 - cent cont) as follows:
- byte 15: check bit 6 (drl via separate lights active)
- byte 15: check bit 7 (give you control of drls via mfi)
- byte 24: check bit 7 (drl as position lights active)
- byte 27: check bit 2 (led drl installed - parking lights and drl)

Try that and see how it works. If not all ok then change byte 18 to 20.

punchagoat

Banned
I just installed Ed's non led Xenons. All is well, however I was surprised to see that I no longer have Daytime running lights. I also have a warning that pops up to check my DRL's along with a bulb out error when I start my car.

I am using Morimoto HID kit with standalone canbus harnesses installed. Do I have to code my car to get DRL's working again and to clear the bulb errors? I thought the can bus harnesses would take care of the bulb out errors.
I guess these lights aren't as "plug and play" as I thought they were.

spiker369

on air, don't care
I just installed Ed's non led Xenons. All is well, however I was surprised to see that I no longer have Daytime running lights. I also have a warning that pops up to check my DRL's along with a bulb out error when I start my car.

I am using Morimoto HID kit with standalone canbus harnesses installed. Do I have to code my car to get DRL's working again and to clear the bulb errors? I thought the can bus harnesses would take care of the bulb out errors.

You'll have to code them regardless since you're using xenons. Even in the op Ed says you need to code to get rid of errors.

looks like your UV coat is coming off from the inside.

PM Ed for a faster response.

I don't think Ed will do anything in this situation since it's a climate factor. I read about this issue AFTER I bought the lights, now they're sitting back in the boxes waiting for me to sell them. :)

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion

You have the error because there is no bulb on the drl circuit. These headlights don't have drl wiring - the connector has no pin for connection #4.
You can code to set the parking light as your drl if you wish them to be your drls. You can also code to have your low beam as your drl, but that's silly (however it's how the mark 5 was). See my post above.

punchagoat

Banned
You have the error because there is no bulb on the drl circuit. These headlights don't have drl wiring - the connector has no pin for connection #4.
You can code to set the parking light as your drl if you wish them to be your drls. You can also code to have your low beam as your drl, but that's silly (however it's how the mark 5 was). See my post above.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the information. Do you happen to have a link to the coding to set the parking lights as DRL? I may go that route if I can locate someone with a VAG COM cable. In addition to the DRL warnings when I turn on the low beams I am now getting "check front side light" warnings for left and right. I know the side lights are connected, will coding the DRL to parking lights take care of this issue as well?

Lmari

Yeah they are rambly.

Since you don't have rear led tail lights then you probably don't need to mess with byte 18. But may have to.

The LEDs are wired as the parking lights. There is no drl bulbs in the headlight and therefore no connection pin on the end of the cars drl circuit. Therefore we need to add the jumper wire between pins 4 and 10 in the cars harness to take the cars signal on the drl circuit through the jumper wire and onto the parking lights pin (the LEDs). That should get you the LEDs coming on when the switch is off.
But the LEDs are a lower resistance of a normal bulb so you need to code the car to accept that the lights in the drl circuit are LEDs so it won't put a bulb out error.
Your byte 18 is probably coded to 03 - which will have LEDs as parking lights.
Try installing the jumper wire first and see if all works ok. It may well do.

If not then try coding.
I think you code (in 09 - cent cont) as follows:
- byte 15: check bit 6 (drl via separate lights active)
- byte 15: check bit 7 (give you control of drls via mfi)
- byte 24: check bit 7 (drl as position lights active)
- byte 27: check bit 2 (led drl installed - parking lights and drl)

Try that and see how it works. If not all ok then change byte 18 to 20.

Thank you very much for your help! Can you advise on whether or not I need a CANBUS or a Euroswitch?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Thank you very much for your help! Can you advise on whether or not I need a CANBUS or a Euroswitch?

You need the canbus thing with your hid kit.
You don't have to have a euroswitch at all. If you want to have LEDs only and tailights on at same time then you will need it (plus trigger wire installed).

Mortal Wombat

Passed Driver's Ed
Copied from my other post, this may help you guys with your bulb out errors and coding. Here's the changes that I made with VCDS (VAG-COM)

Car: 2010 Golf TDI, OEM everything with foglights, previously had halogen headlights.

All in 09-Central Electronic:
Byte 27, Bit 2: Check the box to get rid of bulb out error caused by LED city lights.
Byte 19, Bit 0-3: Disabled bulb life time extensionr from the dropdown
Byte 15, Bit 7: "DRL via separate Lights active" unchecked to disable OEM DRL
Byte 14, Bit 1: Checked the box to enable DRL with fog lights
Byte 24: Dimmed the DRL to 80% (personal preference)

Result: Bulb out error eliminated, fog lights act as DRL, LED city lights remain off when DRL are on.

Skitals

Ready to race!
I have Ed's Option 2, and they are peeling really bad. It looks bad enough I want to put my stock lights back on :confused: I am in the DC area, definitely not an extreme climate so that's not it. What are my options? I have a headlight restoration kit... is this worth a try? What are the effects if I polish, and essentially remove what's left of the clear coat... will that have a negative impact on the lights? I imagine I might get into a scenario where they fog up and I need to repolish every month w/o the clear coat.

Shutaro

Ready to race!
I have Ed's Option 2, and they are peeling really bad. It looks bad enough I want to put my stock lights back on :confused: I am in the DC area, definitely not an extreme climate so that's not it. What are my options? I have a headlight restoration kit... is this worth a try? What are the effects if I polish, and essentially remove what's left of the clear coat... will that have a negative impact on the lights? I imagine I might get into a scenario where they fog up and I need to repolish every month w/o the clear coat.

Compounding and polishing did nothing for mine but mitigate it somewhat. I used Meg's ultimate for both, so not super aggressive. I plan on a 3M kit come spring plus Lamin-X covers, seems to be the best solution short of replacing the lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.