GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EONON GA5153F Review

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Im sorry if you read my post as a comment on your review. I see now that it could be read that way. It was not my intention. Glad to hear that you like your unit.

But I have a lot of problems. Top of mind issues are - Bad/No GPS reception, the worst Bluetooth quality thinkable with distorted sound and echo, no plug & play rear view camera support even it was communicated that it should be, constantly crashing browser, sound quality of music/radio
beyond bad.

So my review of this unit, is pretty much the opposite of yours when it comes to output of the functions. Unit has the quality look as you say, and feels really premium. But it delivers nothing near that.

And what I find strange is that even though they are very nice in their support they really are depending on users to try everything out. Hence the missing installation instructions I guess. Everything is referred to other users installations and tries. Got a recommendation of solving my rear camera issue with the same answer as in this thread with extra hardware (on my expense) to support. An un-tested solution... I still have gotten NO working instructions on installing my rear view camera. Its not really support in my book. But yes, always polite.

I might be on a limb here, and this is the way is supposed to be. But I was expecting more. So Im trying to reverse the transaction and getting my money back.

I totally agree if I was getting all those issues/errors I would want to get a refund immediately so I completely understand.

The GPS did you place the antenna properly on top of the center console air vents? Making sure it's connected to the proper one in the rear of the unit. The bluetooth I can't comment on because mine with the external mic was horrible but without it, it works great. The rearview camera function I can't comment on because I don't have an oem one but I will be ordering the Eonon one and I'll give my input on it. Other than that sorry to hear your troubles man thats crappy. Good luck.

Niklas2000

I totally agree if I was getting all those issues/errors I would want to get a refund immediately so I completely understand.

The GPS did you place the antenna properly on top of the center console air vents? Making sure it's connected to the proper one in the rear of the unit. The bluetooth I can't comment on because mine with the external mic was horrible but without it, it works great. The rearview camera function I can't comment on because I don't have an oem one but I will be ordering the Eonon one and I'll give my input on it. Other than that sorry to hear your troubles man thats crappy. Good luck.

Yes I tried the GPS-antenna on a numerous positions. No real difference.
They are offering a refund, but with the shipping costs on my expense. Shipping Sweden to Hong Kong is not cheap. My point is that they sold it with the communication that the rear camera should work with no hassle. And it doesn't. All other issues/errors are just icing on the cake so to say.

Bluetooth is actually close to unusable. Kind of a shame since that is the most important for me.

Are there other options out there? Other brands to look up?

zrickety

The Fixer
That is my fear with these kind of units, inconsistencies.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
That is my fear with these kind of units, inconsistencies.

Yep. That's why I got rid of my Eonon headunit. Like I mentioned in another thread, why put it out to the consumer when they were fully aware it's not 100% properly working/functional.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
They are offering a refund, but with the shipping costs on my expense. Shipping Sweden to Hong Kong is not cheap. My point is that they sold it with the communication that the rear camera should work with no hassle. And it doesn't. All other issues/errors are just icing on the cake so to say.

Bluetooth is actually close to unusable. Kind of a shame since that is the most important for me.

Are there other options out there? Other brands to look up?

Try Joying or Pumpkin those are two other brands that I know of.

Stinger

Ready to race!
I don't recommend you to go with another off market product. All these units come from the same factory and sold to various resellers, such as Eonon, Pumpkin, etc. if you want out of the box quality you will have to go with recognized brands and pay the $800-$900 price tag.

I originally had a GA5153V. Had radio problems (consistent loss of signal after 4 minutes, easily fixed by off/on unit but wadda pain..), the Bluetooth connection did not work and finally the frame of the unit was bent in a way that once inserted, the DVDs couldn't come out.... Eonon agreed to take the unit back and replaced it with a GA5153F.
This unit's radio works without problem, the Bluetooth module also work (although poorly) as well as the DVDs, but I cannot hotspot my Samsung S6 to the unit (wife's iPhone works no problem) which means no connection to pandora, etc. until I or Eonon figures out what the problem is. Of course, no detailed manual doesn't help..
So yes, my unit is nice with its bigger color screen and everything android but it's been tough love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dahui91

MeanGreenGTI that would be great if you could do a short clip, it may be the one bug I have. I've been reviewing a ton of information on xda-developers for these units, see below.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, had a moment to play around with my unit, finally got it rooted, and running Nova launcher for that more stock android feel, still trying to figure some things out but as this thread has the most feedback on the product, I'll keep updates in here as well as when I do my complete review.

I do not take responsibility for you breaking your system, and if you do Eonon will not send you a new one, do this at your own risk. This should work on 99.9% of your android units out there running "pure android".

Doing this my system seems to run better a little more smoothly.

To Temporary Root: Settings > Factory Settings > Pasword prompt > *#hct#root#

To Permanent Root: Now install superuser go through prompts, when asked rooting method choose normal, congratulations your rooted.

This allows you to do things like install custom recoveries (research how to do this) that allow you to back up your system should you brick it. This is highly recommended as support for these units are very limited.

Change your Launcher: Don't like their launcher? Install Nova or one of the several other launchers on the google play store, my unit now looks like a true android unit.

Change your DPI: the screen comes stock with 220 or 240 I cannot remember. Either way I set my down to 180 (smaller number higher looking resolution) this makes the buttons and toolbars smaller, effectively making it look like a higher resolution. There are apps on the app store for this. I have not been able to get this to stick after key pull though but haven't messed with the build prop information manually (that's for advanced users).

This unit once I changed those 3 things root, launcher, and DPI has been perfect and gives me the experience I was looking for. It will probably be this weekend before I can post a video.

PS MeanGreenGTI if you want me to remove this post send me a PM.

6MTCSG

Banned
MeanGreenGTI that would be great if you could do a short clip, it may be the one bug I have. I've been reviewing a ton of information on xda-developers for these units, see below.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, had a moment to play around with my unit, finally got it rooted, and running Nova launcher for that more stock android feel, still trying to figure some things out but as this thread has the most feedback on the product, I'll keep updates in here as well as when I do my complete review.

I do not take responsibility for you breaking your system, and if you do Eonon will not send you a new one, do this at your own risk. This should work on 99.9% of your android units out there running "pure android".

Doing this my system seems to run better a little more smoothly.

To Temporary Root: Settings > Factory Settings > Pasword prompt > *#hct#root#

To Permanent Root: Now install superuser go through prompts, when asked rooting method choose normal, congratulations your rooted.

This allows you to do things like install custom recoveries (research how to do this) that allow you to back up your system should you brick it. This is highly recommended as support for these units are very limited.

Change your Launcher: Don't like their launcher? Install Nova or one of the several other launchers on the google play store, my unit now looks like a true android unit.

Change your DPI: the screen comes stock with 220 or 240 I cannot remember. Either way I set my down to 180 (smaller number higher looking resolution) this makes the buttons and toolbars smaller, effectively making it look like a higher resolution. There are apps on the app store for this. I have not been able to get this to stick after key pull though but haven't messed with the build prop information manually (that's for advanced users).

This unit once I changed those 3 things root, launcher, and DPI has been perfect and gives me the experience I was looking for. It will probably be this weekend before I can post a video.

PS MeanGreenGTI if you want me to remove this post send me a PM.

Cant wait for Video!

typeronin

Ready to race!
So for the GPS, does it have to be connected to the Internet to work? I assume there are offline maps to use but if I want to use something like Waze, then I have to tether to my phone.

And regarding the root, dahui9, is there no factory reset method to reset this thing if you brick it? You have to root it to get that ability?

typeronin

Ready to race!
So for the GPS, does it have to be connected to the Internet to work? I assume there are offline maps to use but if I want to use something like Waze, then I have to tether to my phone.

And regarding the root, dahui9, is there no factory reset method to reset this thing if you brick it? You have to root it to get that ability?

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!

GPS has to have internet connection if ur using like Google maps there are plenty of offline apps or even like tomtom you can download to an SD card and plug up and go.

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
I would like to add a word of caution when purchasing off name units. You are paying 50% less than comparable branded units. While that's great, you will also likely deal with various issues, some of which are being brought up here or other threads. Luckily the people at Eonon are very helpful but don't expect perfection. For example, there are no specific manuals to install or adjust your unit. Whatever Eonon makes available is woefully inadequate. The units have inconsistent issues: some have Bluetooth issues, others have radio issues or dvd issues and some have a combination of these and others. It's part of "what you pay for" and I say that liking my unit a 5153F.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi Stinger, thanks for your compliment to our customer service. Yes no worry we will take good care of you under warranty. Sorry to hear your Eonon unit has such issues, but we have 60-days money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with it. It's better if you could PM me your order details such as order No. and your contact Email, so that we can serve you better. Thanks!

And glad to tell you that we will have specific installation manuals to for our products in the future, now we’re working on it. We will keep on improving according to you guys’ suggestions. Thanks!

Im sorry if you read my post as a comment on your review. I see now that it could be read that way. It was not my intention. Glad to hear that you like your unit.

But I have a lot of problems. Top of mind issues are - Bad/No GPS reception, the worst Bluetooth quality thinkable with distorted sound and echo, no plug & play rear view camera support even it was communicated that it should be, constantly crashing browser, sound quality of music/radio
beyond bad.

So my review of this unit, is pretty much the opposite of yours when it comes to output of the functions. Unit has the quality look as you say, and feels really premium. But it delivers nothing near that.

And what I find strange is that even though they are very nice in their support they really are depending on users to try everything out. Hence the missing installation instructions I guess. Everything is referred to other users installations and tries. Got a recommendation of solving my rear camera issue with the same answer as in this thread with extra hardware (on my expense) to support. An un-tested solution... I still have gotten NO working instructions on installing my rear view camera. Its not really support in my book. But yes, always polite.

I might be on a limb here, and this is the way is supposed to be. But I was expecting more. So Im trying to reverse the transaction and getting my money back.

Hi Niklas, sorry for the inconvenience caused. For all your issues mentioned, we have received your Email, and keep on helping you out under warranty there. And sometimes we ask our customers to try themselves since it’s better they can resolve themselves and avoid wasting time and paying return postage. If you’re really not satisfied with our unit, we have 60-days money back guarantee . And no worry we can help you pick up the unit in Sweden, which only costs 45EUR. We will reply to your Email and tell you more details then. Please wait for a while. Thanks.

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
Wow good find I wish I new this 7 month ago.

Hi Gti For Me, it's never too late. :D Now we're running a group buy for the new GA5153F, you can grab it now to enjoy the saving, cheers! GB thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95501

how does the mirrorlink function work?? does it use wifi or bluetooth or some other way??

Hi Jmen, do you have an Android phone, if so, you can just use the USB cable to connect your phone to our unit, you need to open the USB debug of your smart phone. Then please open the built-in EasyConnected APP of the unit, then there will be instruction prompts out. Just follow the instruction step by step. You can have a try.

If you have an iOS phone, then the MirrorLink won't work. Since this function is only applicable for the Android phones. Hope it helps. ;)