GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Final decision on brakes for Track Day

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The rear stoptech streets along will make a huge difference.

enkay

Passed Driver's Ed
i did my track event with ss lines, ate blue fliud and stoptech street performance pads front and rear.

these pads do not hold up very well on track. i would recommend going proper track pads.

BIG FAT UNCLE PAULY

Ready to race!

legandrex

Ready to race!
i did my track event with ss lines, ate blue fliud and stoptech street performance pads front and rear.

these pads do not hold up very well on track. i would recommend going proper track pads.

So if I go that route which ones do you suggest? Any out there other than $350 Endless pads that can be used on street without excessive noise or dust? If I go with a more dedicated track pad and use them for the few weeks while I attend my one or two events, can the stock pads I have about 7,000 miles on be put back on or will rotor not work properly with them anymore? This is all new to me so I appreciate the advice.

enkay

Passed Driver's Ed
So if I go that route which ones do you suggest? Any out there other than $350 Endless pads that can be used on street without excessive noise or dust? If I go with a more dedicated track pad and use them for the few weeks while I attend my one or two events, can the stock pads I have about 7,000 miles on be put back on or will rotor not work properly with them anymore? This is all new to me so I appreciate the advice.

i havent had a chance to test other pads yet.

i plan on going a set of new oem rotors + xp10 fronts and xp8 rears just for track.

If you do go dedicated track pads, when you put your old pads on they will work, but you have to re bed them in everything you swap pads.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I've tried several flavors of Carbotech XP series on a few different cars and have never been happy with them. I would not recommend them.

Hawk pads are great. Try HT-10s or DTC-60s. Much much better.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
i havent had a chance to test other pads yet.

i plan on going a set of new oem rotors + xp10 fronts and xp8 rears just for track.

If you do go dedicated track pads, when you put your old pads on they will work, but you have to re bed them in everything you swap pads.

No issues with my carbotech setup which is exactly what you plan on doing :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Are you thinking about going to any of these fall events John?

Grattan on 9/9, maybe Road America in October with MVP, if time/money permits, lol. You?

soldier0829

Ready to race!

legandrex

Ready to race!
Grattan on 9/9, maybe Road America in October with MVP, if time/money permits, lol. You?

MVP or March of Dimes event on 10/19. March of Dimes event is same format as MVP I believe. $250 includes lunch and a dinner event with guest speaker Derek Bell. Might be fun to attend the dinner. Also a friend is a corner sponsor(he drives a 911-4S) for that event.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
As expected there are sure a lot of different opinions on which pads are up to the task...Wish it was a little easier to determine.

John(Gunkata) tracked his GTI with Stoptech Street Performance I believe, and he wasn't exactly hanging around on track. He did think that it is probably on the limit(also note though he had Stoptech BBK with 2 piece rotor on his car, which will help with cooling. But he was also running RE-11 on his track wheel/tire setup. Your ultimate limit is going to be the tire you run, on the stock all season you won't be able to brake as hard and the stress in the brake IMO will be less. The same event I had front track pad and basically the Carbotech equivalent of the street performance pad in the back(probably worse actually) and my setup held on through the day. IMO you need to kinda have an idea what your limit is and drive accordingly. Be it as the limit of the equipment(brake, tire..etc) or limit of the driver. You don't win anything at track day so no need to be all gun-ho all the time. Its going to be way above what you can do on the road and even at 6-7/10th on track its going to be massive fun. Get that first one out of the way and kinda decide where to go from there...

I can't wait for the Grattan day in 2 weeks....

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
So if I go that route which ones do you suggest? Any out there other than $350 Endless pads that can be used on street without excessive noise or dust?

There are chances to get them at a reasonable price:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3438673#post3438670

If I go with a more dedicated track pad and use them for the few weeks while I attend my one or two events, can the stock pads I have about 7,000 miles on be put back on or will rotor not work properly with them anymore? This is all new to me so I appreciate the advice.

In most cases yes.

In general it's a good idea to use the correct pads for each purpose. Most track pads will squeal
at low speeds, most street pads will wear quickly on track (and fade). Pads are swapped easily.

On the other hand there are lots of Porsche (and Renault Megane RS) owners running Endless MX72
for both track and DD without any issues and they praise the longevity of these.