GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flying to LA on Monday to pick up my first GTI

suomynona

Other than a Passport 9500ix, drivers license and proof of insurance, what do you recommend I bring in my carry-on for my drive back up to Seattle from L.A.?

This will be my first car since 1994 (a 1972 Bug). I'm pretty excited. I've been wanting a GTI since seeing the best commercial of all time.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Is it really cheaper to spend $250 on flight and $300 in gas and 2 days of your life getting it down south?
I don't think you need anything else..

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
Yeah you must be getting a hell of a deal to make that much effort and time to go pick it up.

Should be fine with what you've already listed

suomynona

Yeah, it's a certified pre-owned. A new one would have cost at least $1200 more, without the additional warranty. Flight was only $190, dealership agreed to also pay the gas for the drive up. Can't think of a better way to spend 24 hours. Well, I can think of a better way, but let's be realistic.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Is it really cheaper to spend $250 on flight and $300 in gas and 2 days of your life getting it down south?
I don't think you need anything else..

Some people also enjoy the trip. If you take the coastal highway the drive from San Fran to Seattle is one of the best. It's beautiful and has some fun twisties. Unfortunately, when I did it, I was in a PT Cruiser :mad0259:

suomynona

pch ftw

Some people also enjoy the trip. If you take the coastal highway the drive from San Fran to Seattle is one of the best. It's beautiful and has some fun twisties. Unfortunately, when I did it, I was in a PT Cruiser :mad0259:

I was hoping to have the time to do that. I'm assuming the navigation system will give me multiple options for driving back up, and that will be one of them. If not I'll figure it out. I took Tuesday off, so I could have that extra time to enjoy that part. Six days is too far away.

suomynona

That reminds me. The dealership is trying to get me to get the clearcoat + interior + tire protection ($1200), upgrade from the 4.5 years left of warranty to the 7-year/70,000 platinum protection ($1900), wheel/tire repair protection ($1800)...

Do I need any of that stuff? This car will be mostly driven on days off (I work from home). Just seems like a waste of money, unless someone here can talk me into it.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
It's absolutely worth it. It'll take longer than the interstate but it's amazing scenery if you haven't seen it and it will really give you a taste of what the GTI is built for in all those turns.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Can you please post the deal details...

iantheklutz

Sounds like a ton of fun - especially if you got a good deal. Be sure to post some pics of the car and any sights along the way!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Good for you, fellow Seattleite. I've made the drive a few times. It can be long and boring or longer and fun based on the routes you take.

Congrats on the new car and safe travels.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
It's absolutely worth it. It'll take longer than the interstate but it's amazing scenery if you haven't seen it and it will really give you a taste of what the GTI is built for in all those turns.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I flew from Florida to Indiana to buy my car. Road tripped it back with my dad, now I've got a story to tell my kids one day.

baldbuhda

That reminds me. The dealership is trying to get me to get the clearcoat + interior + tire protection ($1200), upgrade from the 4.5 years left of warranty to the 7-year/70,000 platinum protection ($1900), wheel/tire repair protection ($1800)...

Do I need any of that stuff? This car will be mostly driven on days off (I work from home). Just seems like a waste of money, unless someone here can talk me into it.

No!!! You don't need that stuff. For $1800, you can buy tires 3 times over. I expect the GTI to be trouble free for 70k miles so the warranty upgrade is stupid. As for the clearcoat + interior + tire protection, invest $500 into a Griot's, Flex or Porter Cable polisher, some pads and some Menzerna or Chemical Guys products and you'll have a the tools to do it yourself. It's a crazy fun hobby. They also realize, you are in Seattle and any issue you have will not really be their's to deal with.

Congrats on the car. If it looks less than new car pristine when you pick it up, drop me a line and I can detail your car nicer than anything you will ever see at the dealership. And I won't even charge you $1200. :D

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Still waiting on the details as to what is making this buy so amazing...