GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has your car been reliable? (2013 Edition)

Has your mk6 Golf experienced a major failure throughout its lifetime?

• No Issues. I am not modded.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • No Issues. I am modded.

Votes: 64 41.8%
  • I've had one or more major repairs. I am not modded.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • I've had one or more major repairs. I am modded, but on a system unrelated to the failure.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I've had one or more major repairs. I am modded in a fashion that had an influence on the failure.

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 w/ 39k. No issues. The dealer replaced my intake manifold because they said it was cracked, but never saw a cel and ran great. Other than that just oil changes and tires. Not even brakes yet.
Only mod I have is an intake.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
2010, 6MT, 2 door GTI
No, my car is not reliable.

Non-"issues"
-Leaky rear washer nozzle
-Rattles, rattles, rattles
-Door seals failed requiring replacement
-Toe jam air conditioning smell

Issues
-Water pump replacement
-Dual mass flywheel broke, requiring DMF and clutch replacement
-Sunroof jammed itself open, fully broke its tracks, $1800 warranty repair

Unresolved
-Terrible hot weather performance, dealer suggests valve cleaning may be necessary
-Severe understeer and front end wandering. Likely due to subframe bolts loosening and needing replacement, bad alignment, or combination of both.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
The one good thing I am seeing out of this thread is that the majority of major fixes are all stuff that wasn't affected by a flash. I have been on the fence about doing a flash, but I definitely think I'm going to commit if I continue to not see any major flash related issues in this thread.

Obviously clutch, but I knew that going in. I'll probably buy the flash when it goes on sale and "try" to continue running it in stock mode while I save up for a stage II clutch kit w/flywheel...other than that I think I'm golden.

No major issues with mine, 2013, but I've only got 2k on it. Only thing that went wrong was an EPC that was likely my fault (didn't tighten blow off adapter bolts tight enough because I'm a dummy and I need to learn to torque...:()

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
must buy honda.

Um yeah my wife had a bad experience there. Bought a civic new and the engine went after 10 years and 145k. This was a well maintained car. Plus it broke down on her a few times, the a.c. Sucked, mpg was worse than my GTI, body and interior parts were falling off the car and clear coat was pealing off the hood and moldings. It really felt like I was driving a tin can on wheels. I just don't get how all of this is better than VWs.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Um yeah my wife had a bad experience there. Bought a civic new and the engine went after 10 years and 145k. This was a well maintained car. Plus it broke down on her a few times, the a.c. Sucked, mpg was worse than my GTI, body and interior parts were falling off the car and clear coat was pealing off the hood and moldings. It really felt like I was driving a tin can on wheels. I just don't get how all of this is better than VWs.

Same here. I've had a Civic Si and v6 Accord and I think Hondas are overrated. Nothing but problems and bad driving experience for me, but that's just me. Others think they're the sh!t.

Ready to race!
2011 base model 6MT. Nearly 20K miles. I bought it used with 8K miles on it, already tuned. So I really don't know how hard it was hooned in it's 1st owner's hands.

I use the car as a daily driver, along with spirited weekend drives on twisty back roads and the occasional trip to the strip.

Stage 2 tuning, stage 1 and 2 intake, intercooler, RSB, and springs.

No major issues. My clutch is in need of replacement. Started slipping at around 16.5K. I blame it on the extra power my car has. I have 100% faith that if it were stock the clutch would be rock solid.

I have the same occasional rattles and creeks from various interior parts or maybe the doors. Not really sure. And it doesn't bother me. So far not bad IMHO.

I heard my throwout bearing squeal once. It was a really cold morning. Never happened again.

My rear washer used to leak, then I learned to just not use it. So I assume it lost it's prime, and hasn't leaked since last year.

I really don't think the car is bad, or is as bad as some people make theirs out to be. But then again their car might be junk, I don't know for sure. I wish I had more miles on my car, so I feel a little silly posting in this. I say ask me again when she hits 65K.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

What happened with the engine?

How did the car break down? Details are key here.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I guess I have had major issues according to this definition:
"This includes non-essential systems such as window motors or even headlight bulbs."

2010 34,000 miles
Rear hatch electrics went out
Power mirror adjustment went out
Driver's side in-mirror turn signal went out
Weather stripping of passenger rear window had to be replaced

I wouldn't call those major though as they didn't interfere with drivability and could wait for the next maintenance visit.

Last edited:

ImAuthenticFTW

Go Kart Champion
water pump failed. other than that its been good. Almost too good, which is why im going back to stock and getting another car to play with that if something breaks i have a way to and from work.

JayFine

Ready to race!
Thus far my 2012 GTI has had zero issues until today.

I'll wait to give the final verdict once I take it in for service but all signs point to the water pump at 14K. No mods, no evidence of the failure caused on my part and under warranty.

I'll revisit this later once I have a definite answer.

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
2012 MT. had a water pump go and some electrical issues. I'll vote yes on issues, considering I've only had the car 11 months.

Boomers

Ready to race!
Tires and alignment but I think it was caused by dealer so not vw's fault. So far from what i've read, water pump and coil packs are common issue, no big deal imo. I'd rather drive my gti with some problems than a civic or a camry with no problems any day of the week.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I'd consider those serious problems(water pump and coil packs) if I had them since they affect drivability.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So let me take a moment to express what I'm looking for in this data. For one, I want to determine if the results of the comments section align with those of the poll. If so, I can merge the data and draw more significant conclusions. Second, I'm trying to answer the question: "If I ask for reliability information, am I going to attract those with issues or those without?" Being a volunteer poll, I have to concede that those who take the poll will take it with intentions. I'm curious if this will make an impact statistically or whether a non-voluntary poll would be necessary to be representative of the population of mk6 owners.

butchered by autocorrect