GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Highest mileage GTI on here?

cobie56

Ready to race!
lol, I hate VW slogan of, something like, More Cars on the Road with over 100,000 miles than any other brand.

Really? 100k miles? Are they trying to state it's an achievement to get over 100k miles these days? In fact, if you don't hit 100k miles, you might as well quit the industry.

I understand they are probably the largest automaker in the world where they can claim that on pure quantity but it's not all that impressive of a mileage point. Perhaps if it said 200k it might have more meaning to it.

actually, in europe where vw is a big, if not the biggest, seller, i know of many folks w/ VWs with way over 100K miles (or the km equivalent) i do find it odd that VW n. america has such a poor rep when in europe VW has great resale values and a good rep for reliability

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Just keep up with the maintenance. If they say change the DSG oil after 40000Mi then do it.. lol

zrickety

The Fixer
It's the lawsuit mentality and whiny owners.

legitmk6

Ready to race!
2012 with 112k... Couple of injectors and a couple coil packs have gone... Waiting on fuel pump.

Also had a synchro and been APR k04 since 55k maybe?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
lol, I hate VW slogan of, something like, More Cars on the Road with over 100,000 miles than any other brand.

Really? 100k miles? Are they trying to state it's an achievement to get over 100k miles these days? In fact, if you don't hit 100k miles, you might as well quit the industry.

I understand they are probably the largest automaker in the world where they can claim that on pure quantity but it's not all that impressive of a mileage point. Perhaps if it said 200k it might have more meaning to it.

right. I mean how often 20 year old corolla's, camry's, accord's etc. you see on road. and how often do you see 20 year old vw's on the road. I laughed at that commercial.

actually, in europe where vw is a big, if not the biggest, seller, i know of many folks w/ VWs with way over 100K miles (or the km equivalent) i do find it odd that VW n. america has such a poor rep when in europe VW has great resale values and a good rep for reliability

they are, but Europeans generally don't drive much as we do, smaller area, much better public transportation, etc. = less wear and tear. one of the reasons why vw has a bad reliability stigma is cost cutting for us spec cars, hence the water pump etc. and not many people change oil/or do maintenance intervals, Japanese cars can go without oil change. my cousin haven't changed oil on her 2000 accord for 30k miles, and it still goes. :eek:

How much was it for the clutch? Parts+install

it depends on which clutch, if you want it to only hold stage 1, get clutchmasters fx250 for $800, you get the whole thing but flywheel as its used for the oem dual mass. I had my mk6's clutch replaced, labor was around 570$ for 5 hours.

Last edited:

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Tkulhanc134: I mean how often 20 year old corolla's, camry's, accord's etc. you see on road. and how often do you see 20 year old vw's on the road. I laughed at that commercial.

Visualization exercise:

Different performance capacity from a corolla.

Compare a fairly reliable Malibu to a super unreliable Corvette. You can't tell me that the Malibu is better designed or has better parts. The corvette hits it's tranny and drive shift with 600 hp every time the driver smashes the gas petal.

Now go back to that corolla and smash the gas. Do you feel that... ohhhhh ya, that's pure 90 hp at the front wheel! How you doing transmission?? Everything OK?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Tkulhanc134: I mean how often 20 year old corolla's, camry's, accord's etc. you see on road. and how often do you see 20 year old vw's on the road. I laughed at that commercial.

Visualization exercise:

Different performance capacity from a corolla.

Compare a fairly reliable Malibu to a super unreliable Corvette. You can't tell me that the Malibu is better designed or has better parts. The corvette hits it's tranny and drive shift with 600 hp every time the driver smashes the gas petal.

Now go back to that corolla and smash the gas. Do you feel that... ohhhhh ya, that's pure 90 hp at the front wheel! How you doing transmission?? Everything OK?

Corvettes are pretty damn reliable man, ask me how I know :thumbsup:

Thumper

Autocross Champion

OMG I almost died laughing at this. :bellyroll::bellyroll:

Mechanic at our shop has a Passat, think it's an 05 or around there, 300k miles.

Here's a good idea to try to put perspective on the ever so scientific "I never see X on the road". My area BTW is crawling with 6+ year old VWs and Audi's, all rolling along.

Let's think about this. How many Corolla's did Toyota sell in 2003. How many Jetta's did VW sell in that same year? Are you STARTING to see why basing the numbers of cars you see in your neighborhood is not really an accurate measure of anything at all? ;)

So much of a car's life cycle is ultimately more in the hands of the owner than the builder. You see a car broken down on the side of the road........but what you don't know is that it has had a CEL on and been malfunctioning for months due to a lack of regular maintenance. But out of context, you just see it as a busted car.

I've personally had better luck with all my German cars than the Chevy's I used to drive.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I have no doubt a modern VW taken proper care of will go 100,000+ with no issues. Other than a water pump or two.;) If a car is taken care of it will last. Many folks drive their cars into the ground, by ignoring maintenance. I'm not one of them. The MINI I just sold had 126,000 on it & should do 200,000 if the new owner takes care of it.