GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
Because of my shop move, I couldnt spend the kind of time I needed on the motor as I had one week to move a 4500sq ft shop 40 miles east to a 5300sq ft shop. The prior build wasnt washed out properly by the machine shop which had a little debris floating in the oil. OCD kicks in and the engine was torn apart again and redone with a block we had in our engine pile (cleaning and replugging a block with debris is a monumental task). After a quick hone and reassembly it was back up and running but the rings werent changed as we had no time waiting on new ones. After reassembling and bedding in, we performed a leakdown and it was a touch high on cyl 2 (around 12%). We gave the car back to Hyde to drive around til we were back up and running. Perhaps the hone would tighten this up but I'm suspecting that the quick hone and plasma coated cylinders are preventing the rings from bedding in completely. The car drives and runs great, just a touch of smoke out of the tailpipe after a hard run and a little in the catch can. This doesnt sit well with me at all. Every build needs to be 100% and it will be redone with new cylinder walls and fresh rings.

BTW, the car pulls like a freight train :)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Because of my shop move, I couldnt spend the kind of time I needed on the motor as I had one week to move a 4500sq ft shop 40 miles east to a 5300sq ft shop. The prior build wasnt washed out properly by the machine shop which had a little debris floating in the oil. OCD kicks in and the engine was torn apart again and redone with a block we had in our engine pile (cleaning and replugging a block with debris is a monumental task). After a quick hone and reassembly it was back up and running but the rings werent changed as we had no time waiting on new ones. After reassembling and bedding in, we performed a leakdown and it was a touch high on cyl 2 (around 12%). We gave the car back to Hyde to drive around til we were back up and running. Perhaps the hone would tighten this up but I'm suspecting that the quick hone and plasma coated cylinders are preventing the rings from bedding in completely. The car drives and runs great, just a touch of smoke out of the tailpipe after a hard run and a little in the catch can. This doesnt sit well with me at all. Every build needs to be 100% and it will be redone with new cylinder walls and fresh rings.

BTW, the car pulls like a freight train :)

This is why I'm happy I chose Arnold and Pag Parts. OCD like me. Car has not had a single issue since getting it back, drives like a champ as a daily driver, scans were 100% clear, and Arnold kept reaching out to me to check how the car was driving each week. After he moved into his new shop, he worked with me to return the car, I couldn't wait to drop it back off knowing it was just being worked on there.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Here is the BASELINE Pag Parts EFR 7163 Dyno before the stage 2 engine/fuel build. This will give those an idea of the power band on a completely stock fuel system with an off the shelf Eurodyne 3071 file (and low timing up top), literally bolting the PPT EFR7163 turbo kit on and flashed with a base tune before any modification, fuel, etc. Much more will be had with changes to the Eurodyne timing map on 93 pump gas after fuel is added, boost is turned up, the rev limiter removed or set higher than 6,800 rpm and dyno tune. Keep in mind also, the entire dyno pull was at 45% duty cycle during WOT 2,000 rpm - 6,800 rpm. For the final tune, we will set the Greddy Profec to controlled setting or 100% duty cycle during WOT 2,000 rpm - 7,500rpm but dropping the final boost target up top 2 psi below targeted peak boost to avoid a spike.

Software = Eurodyne base 3071 file (low timing between 10-12 degrees)
Rev Limiter = 6,800 (7,500 after head is built)
Greddy Profec EBC = 22psi @ 45% duty cycle
Fueling = stock with 80/20 direct port meth
Other = cat installed
Dyno = DynoJet
Smoothing = 5
CF = current J1349 JUN93

Jared32

Ready to race!
Looks great I can't wait to see the after dyno!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Here is the BASELINE Pag Parts EFR 7163 Dyno before the stage 2 engine/fuel build. This will give those an idea of the power band on a completely stock fuel system with an off the shelf Eurodyne 3071 file (and low timing up top), literally bolting the PPT EFR7163 turbo kit on and flashed with a base tune before any modification, fuel, etc. Much more will be had with changes to the Eurodyne timing map on 93 pump gas after fuel is added, boost is turned up, the rev limiter removed or set higher than 6,800 rpm and dyno tune. Keep in mind also, the entire dyno pull was at 45% duty cycle during WOT 2,000 rpm - 6,800 rpm. For the final tune, we will set the Greddy Profec to controlled setting or 100% duty cycle during WOT 2,000 rpm - 7,500rpm but dropping the final boost target up top 2 psi below targeted peak boost to avoid a spike.

Software = Eurodyne base 3071 file (low timing between 10-12 degrees)
Rev Limiter = 6,800 (7,500 after head is built)
Greddy Profec EBC = 22psi @ 45% duty cycle
Fueling = stock with 80/20 direct port meth
Other = cat installed
Dyno = DynoJet
Smoothing = 5
CF = current J1349 JUN93

Ryan, looking good, can you set bottom to rpm instead of mph if you have the file, hard for me to "feel" the curve without seeing rpms. Watching you closely, your project is definately paving the way for me. I am about to build motor and go EFR 7163 here shortly.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Ryan, looking good, can you set bottom to rpm instead of mph if you have the file, hard for me to "feel" the curve without seeing rpms. Watching you closely, your project is definately paving the way for me. I am about to build motor and go EFR 7163 here shortly.

It has been one of the greatest adventures to date, the learning curve and involvement is exciting. This project has taught me a lot about these engines and Arnold's amazing bolt on EFR kit. We literally went for the lowest power possible on this kit for anyone looking to stay stock fuel/internals and it can still be turned up from here. We are going to turn it all up for a built engine, way more boost and harder EBC control and direct port meth/E85 down the line.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Quick update, turns out the quick baseline dyno above were with several issues on the car. After examining the data from the run, the Eurodyne base file used had extremely low timing in the single digits along with two boost leaks and a broken DV found. The boost leaks were found at the TOP connection and at a crack in the APR intercooler. We will be replacing the intercooler with a custom true FMIC and will replace the TOP connection during the FMIC fabrication. As for the DV, it was no longer sealing and the basket/shroud fell apart, we have since added the DV+ to the solenoid. Once the hardware work is done, we will finally tune the Eurodyne base file for correct timing for another dyno to see what the stock fueling will provide before we go with port injection and aux controller.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
This Pag Parts EFR kit is out and already gone to several customers from what I'm told.

I read your post that explains the issues that you had when you dynoed your EFR kit and that would surely effect the results,but did any of the other EFR customers post dynos?

At sometime in the future your car will need to pass smog will you be able to pass smog with this EFR kit or will it have to be removed to pass smog?