GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there another Sirius Trial?

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I got the GTI brand new May of 2011. When the three months was up I was heading back to school and didn't need to have the subscription renewed so we just never touched it. They never called us, we never got any letters about it, etc.

For shits and gigs, I just poked around Sirius last night and to my surprise I have access to quite a number of channels though I suspect it's not the full blown thing.

Is there another freebie trial that I'm not aware of?

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the song stations aren't compressed crap quality and seem like regular FM radio quality to me. Seems far better than I last remember it (2011 I guess). That said, the talk shows and comedies sound horrible.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I got the GTI brand new May of 2011. When the three months was up I was heading back to school and didn't need to have the subscription renewed so we just never touched it. They never called us, we never got any letters about it, etc.

For shits and gigs, I just poked around Sirius last night and to my surprise I have access to quite a number of channels though I suspect it's not the full blown thing.

Is there another freebie trial that I'm not aware of?

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the song stations aren't compressed crap quality and seem like regular FM radio quality to me. Seems far better than I last remember it (2011 I guess). That said, the talk shows and comedies sound horrible.

I've noticed this too...we have several government vehicles, a couple of which are Ford Focus with Sirius. GSA doesn't have a subscription, but the satellite radio seems to work now and then. I think it's a teaser thing..."if you like this please subscribe" type thing.

As far as audio quality, it's because of a low bitrate, somewhere around 64kbps I think. That's why I use Slacker on my smartphone via Bluetooth...sound quality is magnitudes better.

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
I get a letter about every 6 months stating that I have a free 2 week trial.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
One thing to keep in mind is that the default for Sirius' actions is to automatically charge you for the next interval of service when you're previous interval is up. If, though, you are coming off of a free subscription deal in where you never gave a credit card number to start said service Sirius doesn't have the info necessary to auto-charge you after the trail is up. What this means is that unless someone catches it, and they often do not, you keep getting free Sirius.

Whatever you do do NOT phone them about it. As soon as you make them aware of the accidental free service they will cut it off. They're going to cut it off sooner or later anyway, but you may as well take advantage of their goof while you can (it's what I did).

Even when you do start paying for service you can flat out tell them that you don't want to pay more the X. I told them I didn't want to pay more then $5 a month and so that's all they charge me (plus taxes).

EDIT: I should clarify that my above post is for anyone coming off of their three month free trail. The OP's situation is different since he's been off of the free trail for a long time now.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
As far as audio quality, it's because of a low bitrate, somewhere around 64kbps I think. That's why I use Slacker on my smartphone via Bluetooth...sound quality is magnitudes better.

Satellite radio actually uses some kinda' wacky variable bitrate system. The reason you'll read things claiming that the bit-rate is only 64kpbs is because of some sorta' averaging or something. It's not too hard to find articles on it.

With that said for me the music stations sound like sh*te. Talk stations sound fine but that's likely because everything being played is in the vocal range. Compression mostly affects the end ranges, especially the highest frequencies.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Yah my old car (08 Maxima) had a 3 year subscription and we ended it right as the merger happened and all my old favourite stations were changed around/fucked up and we were selling the car. That didn't stop them from charging my parents automatically for another subscription and I went to great lengths to explain that we didn't have the car anymore. After like 4 calls they finally refunded my parents the $450 or so that they charged to their credit card. Their customer service is a mess...

I didn't know they were that malleable with the pricing though. Like you say you wanna pay X and you'll be paying X.

The only reason why I even started to turn on my SAT radio was because I've a new commute now that gives me plenty of time behind the wheel and I've already exhausted my iPod. Plus I like having full integration so I don't have to fumble with my iPhone as I'm driving and shifting. Still I'm glad the music sounds *decent* for what it is. I guess I'll ride on the free train for as long as I can before they cut me off for good.

Edit: I should add that we didn't know they were going to auto-charge you until it appeared on the credit card bill. yikes

Last edited:

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
it was for the labor day weekend. i think it is supposed to end this coming weekend

jnj2455

Ready to race!
it was for the labor day weekend. i think it is supposed to end this coming weekend

nooooooooooooooo.

Actually, I jinxed myself. The subscription ended mid commute this morning. I was less than pleased.

Maybe I'll just stream free spotify through bluetooth and call it a day? I'm tempted to call Sirius up for a subscription but no way in hell am I paying that much a month.

t0eknee

Passed Driver's Ed
OH is that why my H/U flashed "Subscription Updated" this morning? I'm a subscriber and I didn't notice anything new channels added or anything.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
nooooooooooooooo.

Actually, I jinxed myself. The subscription ended mid commute this morning. I was less than pleased.

Maybe I'll just stream free spotify through bluetooth and call it a day? I'm tempted to call Sirius up for a subscription but no way in hell am I paying that much a month.

You can call for "special offers" for returning users.

After the special offer ends, you can just call and tell them you want to cancel and they will almost agree to any amount you want to pay them.

I pay 5 bucks a month.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
One thing to keep in mind is that the default for Sirius' actions is to automatically charge you for the next interval of service when you're previous interval is up. If, though, you are coming off of a free subscription deal in where you never gave a credit card number to start said service Sirius doesn't have the info necessary to auto-charge you after the trail is up. What this means is that unless someone catches it, and they often do not, you keep getting free Sirius.

Whatever you do do NOT phone them about it. As soon as you make them aware of the accidental free service they will cut it off. They're going to cut it off sooner or later anyway, but you may as well take advantage of their goof while you can (it's what I did).

Even when you do start paying for service you can flat out tell them that you don't want to pay more the X. I told them I didn't want to pay more then $5 a month and so that's all they charge me (plus taxes).

EDIT: I should clarify that my above post is for anyone coming off of their three month free trail. The OP's situation is different since he's been off of the free trail for a long time now.

so basically what u saying is for those who have 3 months trial, dont pick up their phone calls or subscript just ignore them and we will still get the XM for free?... lol My 3 months trial just end few weeks ago... but I still can listen to XM...they send me a letter and called me but I didnt pick up their phone calls....so I guess I'm good lol :clap:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Something to consider about the subscription system: Satellite radio functions similar to GPS - it's one-way, receive-only. Channel 184, their product information channel, is unencrypted, while all their subscription channels are. When you buy a subscription, they send out an activation key with your radio ID that contains the decryption key for the proper channels. They have no way of knowing whether or not your radio has service, or whether it has a working key or not. They rotate the keys every so often, every 3 months I think. You'll notice on any satellite radio that you'll see Subscription Updated messages pop up every so often.

The way this works is, they send authorization messages on the sideband in a loop. Each message is time bombed, so the receiver will eventually stop working. I imagine that either they use the same code now and then in the rotation, or they (randomly?) enable receivers to try to encourage the users to buy a subscription.

Last edited:

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
If you have a sub can u listen to it on ur iPhone with an APP