GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It finally happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
My stock clutch finally blew up yesterday. I was driving home with my friend when the shifts started getting heavier and offered some resistance. I pull up to a stop light, and none of the gears will engage, no matter how many times I punch the clutch in. I'm finally able to jam it into third (and I mean JAM) and barely get the car home (luckily we were only half a mile from my place.) Called up VW roadside and they towed her to the dealership where I was given a Passat as a loaner.

I've had my car in the shop twice to diagnose it for issues with the clutch. Most recently, it was in the shop last Tuesday and a tech went for a ride along with me and said it was operating perfectly. The car is at 6000 miles, I've only owned it for about 4 months and this is the third time it's in the shop for the freaking clutch.

I went stage I at about 1000 miles and I really don't beat on this car, as my normal average mileage of over 32 mpg shows. I went stage II at about 4000 miles, but went back to the stock DP about a week later because the clutch couldn't handle stage II power immediately, it would just slip. So I've been using stock mode or stage 1 for most of the life of the car. I'm a very experienced manual driver and never had clutch issues on any of my other manual cars.

Currently waiting to hear back from the dealer when they have it pulled apart. I know the WA lemon law says that if you have your new car at the dealer 4 times for the same problem without resolution, it's considered a lemon. I guess all I can hope for at this point is a fourth clutch issue when I bring it home. :mad0259:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
will they try and screw you with stage 1 tune since you put too much power to to clutch? (even tho we all know the clutch is too weak)

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
They're very mod friendly over there, they specifically told me to go get the car tuned ASAP when I bought it and even told me where to go. I asked them how that would affect the warranty, and they explicitly told me it wouldn't affect the warranty in any way. I didn't get that in writing, but I would be surprised if they said anything.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Unless your dealer is mod friendly you might be buying your next clutch. Wish you the best.
The clutch isnt weak at all. It was designed for the car from the factory not the one you created.

Stage 1 is a big jump in torque to begin with. The more anyone beat's on the clutch before tuning the worse it will be. No shock here to be honest.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Unless your dealer is mod friendly you might be buying your next clutch. Wish you the best.
The clutch isnt weak at all. It was designed for the car from the factory not the one you created.

Stage 1 is a big jump in torque to begin with. The more anyone beat's on the clutch before tuning the worse it will be. No shock here to be honest.

You have no idea what you're talking about, plenty of people have been stage II for 20,000 miles of hard use without a clutch failure, so do a little research before you post. I got a weak clutch from the factory, it's as simple as that. It probably would have prematurely worn out on stock power levels.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
I was having issues long before I went stage II, and honestly, I may just stay at stage I. I'm happy with that amount of power, and no low end loss.

So you're not going to go stage 2 regardless? Maybe buy a new clutch and ask them to do the install for free?

JhnR

Banned
lemon it, get your money back if you can, repeat with new car. profit

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
You have no idea what you're talking about, plenty of people have been stage II for 20,000 miles of hard use without a clutch failure, so do a little research before you post. I got a weak clutch from the factory, it's as simple as that. It probably would have prematurely worn out on stock power levels.

My stock clutch started to slip at around 6k miles.. I replaced the item with an aftermarket item designed for more power.

This isn't a fluke, faulty part, lemon law, etc.. Its as simple as 250+ torque on a clutch designed for 200 torque. Welcome to the world of a modified vehicle!

:thumbsup:

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
So you're not going to go stage 2 regardless? Maybe buy a new clutch and ask them to do the install for free?

VW gave me a crap clutch on a brand new car, why would I buy anything? You guys are assuming the tune is responsible for the failure, when there are plenty example of GTIs with the same mods that DON'T have the issue I did. The QC on these clutches are crap, there's a wealth of information verifying that all over the internet.

barische

Go Kart Champion
VW gave me a crap clutch on a brand new car, why would I buy anything? You guys are assuming the tune is responsible for the failure, when there are plenty example of GTIs with the same mods that DON'T have the issue I did. The QC on these clutches are crap, there's a wealth of information verifying that all over the internet.

VW do not care whats on the internet.. they will continue to sell TDIs and jetta to rest of the ppl out there. We are the mere 0.1% of their customer that VW could give .02$ shits about..

ur are right the clutch is crap but it holds the stock 200 hp/tq just fine.
when you throw stage 1 at it, just a matter of time before it starts to slip.

My stock clutch started to slip at around 6k miles.. I replaced the item with an aftermarket item designed for more power.

This isn't a fluke, faulty part, lemon law, etc.. Its as simple as 250+ torque on a clutch designed for 200 torque. Welcome to the world of a modified vehicle!

:thumbsup:

this x2

btw im at 42k miles, most of with stage 1 and yes it slips at cold days and with APR stage 1 makes it even worse.. cannot go stage 2 and in winter time i have to switch to stock mode sometimes.. Not ready to drop ~1-1.5k on this WWD car (Wrong wheel drive)

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
VW do not care whats on the internet.. they will continue to sell TDIs and jetta to rest of the ppl out there. We are the mere 0.1% of their customer that VW could give .02$ shits about..

ur are right the clutch is crap but it holds the stock 200 hp/tq just fine.
when you throw stage 1 at it, just a matter of time before it starts to slip.

this x2

btw im at 42k miles, most of with stage 1 and yes it slips at cold days and with APR stage 1 makes it even worse.. cannot go stage 2 and in winter time i have to switch to stock mode sometimes.. Not ready to drop ~1-1.5k on this WWD car (Wrong wheel drive)

You just said your car has been handling stage 1 for over 40,000 miles, yet mine can't even make it to 6000 miles of stage 1. You got a better quality clutch than I did. We bought the same car, this is BS.

For those of you who are claiming it's 100% the tune and there isn't an issue, read Bender's clutch thread: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30954

61% occurred at stock

Status
Not open for further replies.