GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It finally happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Save your money and just buy the drop in disk from southbend. Go back to stage 2, and stop complaining about something that everyone is telling you is inevitable. You cannot have stage 1 or 2 and have the stock clutch. It will slip eventually if you have another stock clutch installed. Why go through all of this again??

You paid the money for the tune and DP. So see if your mod friendly dealer will install the drop in disk instead of another factory clutch, which we all know is crap.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Save your money and just buy the drop in disk from southbend. Go back to stage 2, and stop complaining about something that everyone is telling you is inevitable. You cannot have stage 1 or 2 and have the stock clutch. It will slip eventually if you have another stock clutch installed. Why go through all of this again??

You paid the money for the tune and DP. So see if your mod friendly dealer will install the drop in disk instead of another factory clutch, which we all know is crap.

It's not about the $ at all, it's the principle. The quality is completely hit and miss, and you guys are assuming my clutch would be fine right now if it wasn't tuned. I'm not so sure of that.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i agree with that.. some people just got the extra shitty stock clutch.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
It's not about the $ at all, it's the principle. The quality is completely hit and miss, and you guys are assuming my clutch would be fine right now if it wasn't tuned. I'm not so sure of that.

I agree with you on that. The quality is hit and miss. Stock clutch sucks. Most everything on the car is over engineered and can handle a lot more power than it was built for. Except the clutch and stock IC. Lol So I disagree with the statement above that stock clutch is perfect for stock and isn't weak. It barely makes the cut at 200 lb/ft. That's weak.

So forget about the IF's. If you were stock...blah blah. Just get a new clutch of your choice, and don't let this one thing hold you back from enjoying a perfectly good new car. If you think stage 1 is great, stage 2 with a good clutch will make you fall in love.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
You have no idea what you're talking about, plenty of people have been stage II for 20,000 miles of hard use without a clutch failure, so do a little research before you post. I got a weak clutch from the factory, it's as simple as that. It probably would have prematurely worn out on stock power levels.

I do have quite an idea. Clutches in this car are fine for stock and some for tuning have had zero issues. When you add significant torque things change.
Driver technique has a significant effect on durability. I also posted the wear before tuning matters.

I have a new motor due to an ignition mis-fire so I have some idea about major failures yet I still like the car. For you facts hurt. Face it you need the education not me LOL! Every maker of production vehicles suffers failures. Welcome to the real world.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I agree with you on that. The quality is hit and miss. Stock clutch sucks. Most everything on the car is over engineered and can handle a lot more power than it was built for. Except the clutch and stock IC. Lol So I disagree with the statement above that stock clutch is perfect for stock and isn't weak. It barely makes the cut at 200 lb/ft. That's weak.

So forget about the IF's. If you were stock...blah blah. Just get a new clutch of your choice, and don't let this one thing hold you back from enjoying a perfectly good new car. If you think stage 1 is great, stage 2 with a good clutch will make you fall in love.

I have plans to go K04, so an aftermarket clutch is definitely on the list of to do. I want VW to lose money on this. They released a cheap product that's completely under-engineered, and they should have to pay the price for it. But the funny thing is, some don't appear to be under-engineered. Where is all this variance in quality coming from? They've wasted a lot of my time at this point (I've been to the shop three times already!) and they're not reimbursing me for that. I wonder how many people got a GTI as their first manual car and just assumed they burned out the clutch because they suck...

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I do have quite an idea. Clutches in this car are fine for stock and some for tuning have had zero issues. When you add significant torque things change.
Driver technique has a significant effect on durability. I also posted the wear before tuning matters.

Obviously you don't have any idea what you're talking about, 61% of the the failures on this forum were at stock. Do some research before you post. GTFO of here is you have nothing productive to add.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Obviously you don't have any idea what you're talking about, 61% of the the failures on this forum were at stock. Do some research before you post. GTFO of here is you have nothing productive to add.

Honestly, the clutch won't let you handle the power for stage 2. If I were you and they did say there were a tune friendly dealer, request for an upgraded clutch or buy the clutch and tell them to do the install for free. That way you can install your downpipe, go stage 2 again, and enjoy the car.

I've had some instances with my dealer as well, but I realized instead of being stubborn and making them pay for everything, I just reasoned with them and decided to enjoy my car. It's not always smart to be stubborn, because in the end you're not going to enjoy your 30k+ car.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
I see. Revenge is what you're after. Haha

A slipping clutch is like erectile dysfunction. Not everyone has it, some get it sooner than others... Either way You've got the hot girl, but you can't do anything with her. Tragic..

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, the clutch won't let you handle the power for stage 2. If I were you and they did say there were a tune friendly dealer, request for an upgraded clutch or buy the clutch and tell them to do the install for free. That way you can install your downpipe, go stage 2 again, and enjoy the car.

I've had some instances with my dealer as well, but I realized instead of being stubborn and making them pay for everything, I just reasoned with them and decided to enjoy my car. It's not always smart to be stubborn, because in the end you're not going to enjoy your 30k+ car.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but I'm definitely going to try to get another stocker. Worse comes to worst, I go get an aftermarket clutch like I was planning, but I should at least give VW a chance to fix their mistake first.

Last edited:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
You have nothing to lose to press VW for a new clutch. Since you have a maintenance record of problems that hopefully goes back to before you were tuned you have a chance for support. However if they don't want to support you then you most likely will not be successful escalating this issue.

VW reps told you to tune etc., means nothing, but if you don't get support and escalate it you can add that and claim ignorance on any possible issues with the clutch because of the tune.

Now in order to enjoy your engine mods you will need a heavy duty clutch. If all fails with VW, get a clutch that will have the capability to handle the torque etc. or else even of they replace it you will end up stranded on the highway and maybe even damage your transmission.

Stage II, only a matter of time before the clutch fails, torque + driver technique + how often it is hammered on, been discussed here numerous times.

Good luck

jmdeis11

Ready to race!

x2

barische

Go Kart Champion

Well any chance of ur clutch being warrantied went out the window the moment u tuned that car.. Just like ppl before suggested tunes r thirdparty. u would still be SOL even if president of VWOA told u to tune it cuz its not their supported product. Btw very few ppl were able to warranty their clutches stock n that number is even less for tuned ppl.. Nevertheless good luck

idriveastick

Ready to race!
I was having issues long before I went stage II, and honestly, I may just stay at stage I. I'm happy with that amount of power, and no low end loss.

Maybe you're just a shitty manual driver? No offense intended, of course. Perhaps your driving style (read: clutching style) is just not proper and YOU have caused premature clutch wear? We all have our quirks and weaknesses, maybe yours is driving a manual. My buddy had the same issue and went back to an auto because he just couldn't "get it."

And by your above statement, you're assuming that the clutch WOULDN'T be fine without a tune. Maybe it would have been. You tuned at 1000 miles, the car was brand new. You have no clue if the stock clutch would have lasted if you didn't tune your car. Don't act like you know something you don't. While you say there is plenty of evidence of stock clutches lasting with stage I and II, there is also plenty of evidence of them NOT being able to handle stage I and II power. You're fighting an uphill battle. No one person clutches and applies the throttle like any other one person. Maybe the people who have stage I and II with stock clutches baby their cars. Now, the definition of "baby" is subjective. Maybe to you, you baby your car. To others, you may drive like a racecar driver.

I want VW to lose money on this. They released a cheap product that's completely under-engineered, and they should have to pay the price for it. But the funny thing is, some don't appear to be under-engineered. Where is all this variance in quality coming from? They've wasted a lot of my time at this point (I've been to the shop three times already!) and they're not reimbursing me for that.

What?!?! How does VW know if you have abused the clutch or not? There are plenty of people who burn out their clutch within a few thousand miles because they simply don't know how to operate a manual car correctly. Stop whining. You're tuned, there is PLENTY of evidence to support the fact that the stock clutch cannot handle stage I, let alone stage II. Quit blaming VW for an "under-engineered" product. Maybe the clutch was a dud, I'll give you that, but you can't change history. You tuned at 1000 miles and therefore had minimal experience with this clutch at stock power. You have zero room to accuse VW of shoddy QC or a bad product. Now, if you weren't tuned or didn't tune at 1000 miles, I may feel otherwise.

So now you tell the guy to GTFO because you don't like what he said? See my comment below...

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, but I'm definitely going to try to get another stocker. Worse comes to worst, I go get an aftermarket clutch like I was planning, but I should at least give VW a chance to fix their mistake first.
Arrogance at its finest.

ETA: I am not the typical VW/GTI fanboy either. There are plenty of posts on this forum backing up the fact that I don't think these cars are the end-all-be-all. I just honestly think that you aren't owning up to something that you could have caused. Instead of being open-minded, you immediately blame shoddy QC and/or a shoddy product. You have no clue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.