GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

riceburner

Autocross Champion
you're both free for a detail anytime as you've been much help through my mk6 journey. and jay you're gonna do free vag-com stuff for me so yeah

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
you're both free for a detail anytime as you've been much help through my mk6 journey. and jay you're gonna do free vag-com stuff for me so yeah

Lol nah i dont want a free detail, just joking. Id rather learn/watch how a good detail is done... what wax do you recommend?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Lol nah i dont want a free detail, just joking. Id rather learn/watch how a good detail is done... what wax do you recommend?

shiit bring your whip by some day i'll show how its done man. Keep it cheap or work out a deal i don't care i just love detailing.

Not to clutter Jay's thread - waxes and sealants are to protect a good finish. Few ground rules/basics to understand:

Your cars finish is comprised of the following layers:
Metal/plastic (protected by paint)
Primer (protected by paint or scratched through)
Base coat/color (protected by clearcoat or scratched through)
Gloss (thickest layer) (protected by sealant or swirled/scratched)
Wax/sealant: Protects gloss coat, sacrificial layer. Destroyed by time, washing, dish soap.

Think of your gloss layer supposed to have a perfect finish like _________________________

But instead it's been swirled/scratched by improper washing techniques and being touched, scratched, rock chips so now its like ----\/-------^------^----v-------v-----------------

The little v's represent microswirls that interfere with the refraction of light against the gloss. You can attempt to 'fill them in' with wax but that really doesn't fix it, visually or literally. Polishing works the gloss coat down a few micrometers to reveal a new finish, then you protect it with sealant, which now becomes a 'sacrificial layer'. The sealant acts as a barrier to the gloss coat, offering protection that better withstands the grunt of washing marks, sunlight, time, and more. They also help your paint act hydrophobic which helps water and dust not stick to the paint, making them easier to clean and dry overall. Good sealants chemically bond to clearcoat surfaces, but all applications really only last up to a few months. There are a million brands and many are good; they almost all use the same main active ingredients, the rest is marketing application which glorifies the same stuff.

The big V's represent deep scratches which go through the gloss coat and beyond. These need to be filled in with paint.

The '^'s represent contaminants such as road tar, sap, brake dust and such that have bonded to the paint surface, and can be removed by clay bar and polishing, again increasing the light's ability to properly refragment off the paint giving it the shiny appearance we love.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Ugh. One of the lines for my meth tank in the rear popped off. Now I have about a gallon of mixture in the spare tire area. Car smells like shit

Cleaned the meth up that spilled. The line just came disconnected from the pump, I have to reinforce the bracket to stop any subtle movement that could be causing the line to flex. I had some spare line so I replaced a small section of it and will monitor for leaks.should be good except for the smell. Nothing a little chemical guys new car smell can't fix hopefully

So now the car smells very bad. sigh.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
that shit is super dangerous not just for the fumes but of course fire hazard! beware jay i would certainly ventilate the car for a while once its all cleaned up!

jay745

that shit is super dangerous not just for the fumes but of course fire hazard! beware jay i would certainly ventilate the car for a while once its all cleaned up!

It's not flammable, it's a 50/50 mix with water. I "tested" to see if it would ignite and even with 75% meth 25% water it would not.

The fumes though are indeed terrible. Drove with the windows all down.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
That's odd, I was able to ignite on a 50/50 mix before lol. You're gettin some low-dose ice homie ;)

jay745

Forgot to update, I installed the dieselgeek super slider bushing as well. Greased it with some PTE first, feels much smoother than the oem slider which had some play in it. I really like my shifter setup now.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Forgot to update, I installed the dieselgeek super slider bushing as well. Greased it with some PTE first, feels much smoother than the oem slider which had some play in it. I really like my shifter setup now.

Dafuq does that go?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up a screw in the tire. Meh these tires needed to be replaced before next track season anyways. I put a plug in it for now

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Looks like they still have a little life yet. Trying to get rid of them? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

Looks like they still have a little life yet. Trying to get rid of them? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rs3 are super durable. They heat cycle out before the tread is used up. These have 16 track days on them lol. Amazing if you ask me. Rival-s corded on me after 4 track days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk