GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metal Shavings In Oil Pan

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Driving along ~30 km/h, get a warning on the MFD, "low oil pressure, engine off!" I immediately turn the engine off, and tow it home.

Check the oil, full. Look for leaks, none. Did an oil pressure test, reads about 40 psi at idle. Drove it about 100 metres, let it warm up fully, and all normal. No knocking or rattling noise whatsoever.

Pulled the oil pan, and we have this nice surprise:

The car has seen moderate doses of track days. Always VW 502 approved oil with OEM filter. It also had a timing chain tensioner failure last year, and the head was rebuilt (the bottom end wasn't touched). This may or may not be related to the problems I am having now. It has a unitronic stage 1+ tune on it. Granted such things are expected so I'm not really bitter about it, but this engine has been fairly unreliable given the circumstances.

My question is what is the best plan of action If I want to move on, with the smallest financial hit? Find a new engine, sell as is... etc? What is this thing even worth without an engine (125,000 kms, 2 door manual, fairly good shape otherwise). I'll keep this thread updated with whatever I end up doing.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Im guessing balance shaft failure. Have seen a lot of people on the FB groups and forums with this lately. It's another fatal TSI flaw.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Also check the screen in the cam bridge, likes to pop out and fuck stuff up. I'd you find the root cause you can determine if you need a whole engine or just the head

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info guys.

Worst case, anybody have any experience selling a mk6 with a bad engine? What would be a fair price? I'm leaning towards this option because I want to save my energy for other projects.

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I decided to dig in.

Well I got this far, not sure what to look for. I pulled the shafts and there doesn't seem to be play...

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Were the screens still in the shafts. If you look at my thread u will notice the screen is trasher

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
How were the screens on the balance shafts themselves? Did you pull the cam bridge as well?

Which screens do you mean? I haven't pulled anything else apart besides the lower timing cover. I'll most likely go poking around tomorrow and check the top end. Did you mean the camshaft bridge screen?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
There are suppose to be screens in the balance shafts also..the screen was blown out on mine. Looks like something passed through it.

Last edited:

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I've removed the cam sprocket cover, it appears as if I need a special tool to remove the cam bridge to inspect the screen in there, unless somebody knows an alternative.

I loosened the balance shaft chain and it appears that I can pull each shaft out one by one. Problem is getting the shaft out.. Looks like I need a special tool again.

I also filmed this below, there is some axial play, but I'm not sure if this is normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6NqxS6EtI

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Have you done any recent track days? TSI's can suffer from oil starvation from lack of baffles in the oil pan when the car gets tossed around a lot. Lack of oil pressure even for a moment could cause some metal shavings.

Aside from what's already been mentioned that's the only other thing I can think of.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I've removed the cam sprocket cover, it appears as if I need a special tool to remove the cam bridge to inspect the screen in there, unless somebody knows an alternative.

I loosened the balance shaft chain and it appears that I can pull each shaft out one by one. Problem is getting the shaft out.. Looks like I need a special tool again.

I also filmed this below, there is some axial play, but I'm not sure if this is normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6NqxS6EtI

Yes theres a special socket to remove n205. Its reverse threaded as well. Keep us updated if you can get the balance shafts out. Im betting its a shaft