GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf R updated on US website

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Waaaay easier to load stuff with 4 doors. Even cargo vans have a side door.

I rolled with the rear bench removed in my GTI and the seat backs folded down 99% of the time and still was glad to have 4 doors.

And dat insurance savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
$39K for a Golf R? $39? Thirty nine thousand?

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
$39K for a Golf R? $39? Thirty nine thousand?

Can you find another German car with similar performance and options for the same amount of money? I think not....

That is a loaded one.. the base will be closer to 35K, just like last time.

Having traded a fully loaded GTI Autobahn for a "premium plus" A3 with nothing in it, you get more for your money with the "lower" brand version of a car.. the same goes for Toyota vs Lexus, Nissan vs Infiniti, and so on..

A fully loaded R at $39K would most likely include:

Full Leather interior
Nav
Premium Sound/Dynaudio
KESSY keyless entry
Sunroof
DSG
Bi-Xenons with AFS

Performance should be around 4.5 seconds, 0-60, based on the S3 tests so far...

Not too many "refined" german cars will have that performance and those options for $39K.

Is it still "a lot"? sure.. but you are getting a lot for your money. This R will finally have some real performance to back up the superior interior, and may finally sway some of the Evo/STI type buyer to the VAG side - finally.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
^ All of this, very good points. :D

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
If I could get a base R with a manual for under 36k I would be so happy. 39k has to be for the loaded one. The mk7 is supposed to have more standard equipment than the 6 while keeping a similar base price.

I'm also starting to rethink the mpi thing. Would they really put it on the VW but not the S3?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ All of this, very good points. :D

balls, inc. thanks you.

If I could get a base R with a manual for under 36k I would be so happy. 39k has to be for the loaded one. The mk7 is supposed to have more standard equipment than the 6 while keeping a similar base price.

I'm also starting to rethink the mpi thing. Would they really put it on the VW but not the S3?

I think you will see that price range for sure. Personally, I want MT too, but would probably go premium, and most likely wait a while or wait for a CPO car down the line.

The engine should be the same as the S3, but who knows. Could also just be marketing BS too.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
I don't think I'd be able to wait for a cpo. I remember with the 6 the cpo prices weren't much different from new. Not sure how much you could get the dealer down though.

The 19th can't come soon enough!

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Can you find another German car with similar performance and options for the same amount of money? I think not....

That is a loaded one.. the base will be closer to 35K, just like last time.

Having traded a fully loaded GTI Autobahn for a "premium plus" A3 with nothing in it, you get more for your money with the "lower" brand version of a car.. the same goes for Toyota vs Lexus, Nissan vs Infiniti, and so on..

A fully loaded R at $39K would most likely include:

Full Leather interior
Nav
Premium Sound/Dynaudio
KESSY keyless entry
Sunroof
DSG
Bi-Xenons with AFS

Performance should be around 4.5 seconds, 0-60, based on the S3 tests so far...

Not too many "refined" german cars will have that performance and those options for $39K.

Is it still "a lot"? sure.. but you are getting a lot for your money. This R will finally have some real performance to back up the superior interior, and may finally sway some of the Evo/STI type buyer to the VAG side - finally.

The key assumption is that $39K is for the fully loaded one. In that case, with tax and license - you are looking at $43k give or take. I admit, it's NOT that bad of a pill to swallow but... if you look hard enough you can find a CPO S4 for that price and I guarantee you that the Golf R cannot hold a handle to the S4 as a whole package.

If the Golf R is starting at $39k (which, I admit, is not likely) then a fully loaded one will be ~$42-43k and that would end up being about $48k ish OTD; now that's just...