GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Golf R journey begins

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
As soon as I get a few miles on the car and new suspension has settled I will go down for an alignment. I will go for stock specs for now as the car came with All Season tires. When I move over to something more track worthy I will add the adjustable pieces in the rear and get a new more aggressive alignment for cornering. I will also have to holesaw the top mount area to allow access to my front camber plates, like I did on my MKV.

torga

Autocross Champion
Still have no idea why there are domes there from factory. Even without getting to access top plates, having such a tiny hole really limits tool options for fully torquing the top nut on struts.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Still have no idea why there are domes there from factory. Even without getting to access top plates, having such a tiny hole really limits tool options for fully torquing the top nut on struts.
I am guessing it is to keep water out. I live in a super dry climate so not too worried about it.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So, as mentioned my next project is the install of the RCD330+ and the rear view camera. As it turns out I may be purchasing some additional audio equipment (used) to further enhance and complicate this install.

So the install now would look like.....

JL amp XD600, sub box w/Alpine spkr in rear
Rockford Fosgate amp T400x4
(4) 6.5in Alpine spkrs SPC-60
(2) upgraded front tweeters.

A bit more than I had targeted and clearly based on model of equipment it is all previous version stuff but all very nice stuff. If it is all in reasonable condition it should really transform the sound system.

I am just waiting to hear from seller soon to make sale final and go pick up the equipment. He is in driving distance which makes it easy.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Disabling my Soundaktor...... this is what I am going to try.

• From the VCDS main screen click the button “Select”
  • Click the button “A9 Structure Borne Sound”
  • Click the button “Adaption 10”
  • Use the Channel drop down and select “Volume of structure borne noise actuator” For me it was the only one.
  • Enter a value. Default value is 100, setting 50 would reduce the sound by 50%. 0 would turn it off completely.
  • Click “do it”
I will confirm if this works in a few minutes.
RESPONSE: Well that is not it, the above only for MK7 I think, no A9 module shows up.

Looks like unplugging it is the way to go.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Driving Impression after everything dialed in almost
So suspension is settled in, I have rebound set where I like it after trying a bunch of settings. Took the car out for a drive that included twisties, rougher roads and some freeway driving, Only other mod is the rear sway and end links. Car handles nicely considering it has all season tires and I have yet to align it. So next will be the proper extreme summer tires and aligning it with some modest amount of extra camber..... looking forward to the final setup. I will drive it that way until I am comfortable throwing it around and then I will add the Haldex race controller in.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have decided not to do the RCD330+ and rear view camera myself. Going to go ahead and have it done professionally. If all works out I will be going to Sorena Audio in Orange County. Another forum member had his done there and gave it a big thumbs up.

I will be nice to modernize the tech capability of the car with CarPlay capabilities and rear view camera (missed that).

Project #8 - Maybe
While I am down there. I am going to talk with Sam to see if there is a high quality, full time digital rear view mirror solution like you would find in newest luxury cars. So nice with a much better view without obstructions. Much safer. Just has to be bright enough to be seen easily in bright daylight.
I am going to see if I can get this scheduled for mid Feb (install of headunit, camera and Rennlist magnetic iphone holder.

There is a forum member that has for sale some equipment that was way cool but more than I wanted to do but wow it would have been an upgrade. Those of you looking to do a major upgrade and save over buying new should consider it.

JL Stealthox, Alpine 10in, JL Sub amp, JL subwoof controller
4 - Alpine 6.5in speakers and tweeters
Rockford Fosgate 4x100 amp and Alpine level adapter

He is asking 50% of retail.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So, I have an assortment of fiberglass fender flares leftover from my MKV (never used them). Since I am likely going to take my hood in for paint, why not consider installing and painting some fender flares.

What do folks think about the look. I would go with 9 or 9.5 in wheels and 255 width tires as seen in this pic of car with Enkei wheels. I would put something on that gave me a 1in lip or so. If, I do it.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I think the flares/stance looks better from the rear than from the front.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well vote is no on the flares. The car is looking pretty good now with refinished brakes, refinished wheels, refinished headlights and a new windshield and nice clean smooth paint and the fact that the body has not been bumped or dented. Couple pics from today.

Does not look like a car with 109K miles. Interior is near pristine, Only one wear spot in center panel of drivers seat bottom. No wear spots on sides of driver seat at all.

Suspension is now dialed in to my preference, which is on the stiff side. It could be softened with a change in springs.

Car runs very strong, after having driven a well setup K04 car for years I have some reference. It is only Stg 1 APR but it does ok. and it is Calif legal no emissions hassles.

Last edited:

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
I’m voting “NO” on the flares as well. Just in case you’re having second thoughts 🤣

Your rig is really nice 👍🏼

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Are Diesel Geek Shifters a thumbs up ?

Been reading about Diesel Geek short shifter and Super Pin. If the reviews are good I will add it to the list. My shifter is.... ok.... but for spirited driving it would be nice to have a shifter that helps you hit the right gear and minimizes movement to do so.
I haven‘t read your whole thread so maybe you got to this so I thought I’d offer some thoughts here…

I did the DG shifter, but there are a lot of other parts to look at. Consider getting a metal cable bracket and metal cable bracket bushings, fresh OEM transmission fluid, and a weighted shift knob.

I find that the key is the OEM fluid. I had Redline for a while and it just didn’t feel right, and I believe the reason is that Redline is a very high viscosity fluid while the OEM fluid pours almost like motor oil. The Raceseng Slammer in my car then smoothed out the extra notchiness added from removing the fore/aft counterweight on the stock shifter arm.

After all of his I think the shifter in my car is excellent, probably even nipping on the heels of a stock Honda shifter.

No problems with it on track. In fact, the last instructor I had in the car told me that because I was shifting so fast and so smoothly he had to actually look down at my hands to see when I was shifting because he couldn’t feel it through the car.