GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Golf R journey begins

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
How much is this repaint, btw?
Really the only problem area is the hood but they will blend across both fenders and bumper. 1100.00, This shop does really nice work and make things look new. I have had them paint a couple of cars in the past and they were beautiful.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
IIRC, the 2008 has the Tremec 3650 trans and 2009 has a higher capacity dry sump. Other things like the steering wheel and fobs are also updated
Yes, my only problem is people are asking a lot for them. I am more concerned about the valve issue that 2006 - 2011 LS7s suffered from (fatal). So I am looking for one that has something like American Heritage heads and possibly a cam but still has stock manifolds. And one with a fresh clutch and tires all with reasonable mileage (lower mileage examples are fairly common). I think I can find what I want for under 40K. It is a lot of car with plenty of power as is, sophisticated suspension and with just a set of good tires and coilovers it is ready for the track or a trip to the grocery store. Having said all that I favor getting a Mk7 Golf R as it is more comfortable, practical and I can get it wtih a DSG. What would really cinch the deal for me would be if APR can get CARB approval for their new turbo kit which they indicate they will. Running that with E85 would be perfect (450-500whp) for me. If not, always wanted a Boxster and if I could find a low mileage one to just have fun with on weekends I might go that way. It is pretty easy to find an unmolested low mileage one but it needs to have had the LMS done. I have had a couple of Porsches and they are a lot of fun to drive and so well put together. Again you can find really nice ones of well under 40K. Mostly dreaming and window shopping at this point but if I run across the right deal I will jump.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yes, my only problem is people are asking a lot for them. I am more concerned about the valve issue that 2006 - 2011 LS7s suffered from (fatal). So I am looking for one that has something like American Heritage heads and possibly a cam but still has stock manifolds. And one with a fresh clutch and tires all with reasonable mileage (lower mileage examples are fairly common). I think I can find what I want for under 40K. It is a lot of car with plenty of power as is, sophisticated suspension and with just a set of good tires and coilovers it is ready for the track or a trip to the grocery store. Having said all that I favor getting a Mk7 Golf R as it is more comfortable, practical and I can get it wtih a DSG. What would really cinch the deal for me would be if APR can get CARB approval for their new turbo kit which they indicate they will. Running that with E85 would be perfect (450-500whp) for me. If not, always wanted a Boxster and if I could find a low mileage one to just have fun with on weekends I might go that way. It is pretty easy to find an unmolested low mileage one but it needs to have had the LMS done. I have had a couple of Porsches and they are a lot of fun to drive and so well put together. Again you can find really nice ones of well under 40K. Mostly dreaming and window shopping at this point but if I run across the right deal I will jump.
I would consider a Grand Sport over a Z. You get all the good stuff and a more reliable engine. The 7R is a completely different experience.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well all my stocks are so low can't sell now so stuck with the R until things turn around. So before painting, guess I will do a couple more little upgrades.

1. HPFP upgrade kit
2. Go from APR1 to APR+
3. Get the Diesel Geek Sigma and a weighted shifter

Hopefully I won't think of anything else. The APR+ should provide that little bit of extra at the top end that Stage 1 is missing. Everybody knows that these shifters need help if you want to do any spirited driving. Can't decide which to start with. I know, both because they are so easy.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I pulled my coilovers, I loved them but my wife found the ride too stiff. So I am putting on a set of VWR racingline shocks and springs. Almost finished. Unfortunately I am just waiting for a ball joint replacement so I can button it up. I damaged ball joints accidentally during the process. I will post more on process and outcome. I am also putting in new stainless brake lines all around.

Got the new ball joint in. Checked all the suspension bolts and torqued to spec. Just need to put the liners back in and the wheels on tomorrow and it will be finished. Should be close to stock feel with only a slight drop.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Finished up the install of the suspension VWR Sport kit. Car now rides very comfortably compared to the custom valved coilovers I had on there but then they should. The set of coilovers I removed and sold also included adjustable front sway bar endlinks. So buying the kit which just includes the dampers and springs, I still had to buy....

F/R dust boots
F/R bump stops
New front top mounts and bearings
New front sway bar endlinks
New rear top and bottom spring pads
Ended up buying a new strut spreader
Also ended up buying a new front end socket to properly put new tops on, these use a 22mm.

I already had a new set of rear top mounts

I took the car out for first time this afternoon, for about 10 miles of driving. Suspension was perfectly quiet (as it should be) and a super nice setup for a daily driver, Car is still respnsive but the ride is also very comfortable. Car sits at what looks like about stock height and of course will settle a bit in the next 1000 miles of so. Very compliant ride. Pics will follow after I get the car cleaned up.

zrickety

The Fixer
Finished up the install of the suspension VWR Sport kit. Car now rides very comfortably compared to the custom valved coilovers I had on there but then they should. The set of coilovers I removed and sold also included adjustable front sway bar endlinks. So buying the kit which just includes the dampers and springs, I still had to buy....

F/R dust boots
F/R bump stops
New front top mounts and bearings
New front sway bar endlinks
New rear top and bottom spring pads
Ended up buying a new strut spreader
Also ended up buying a new front end socket to properly put new tops on, these use a 22mm.

I already had a new set of rear top mounts

I took the car out for first time this afternoon, for about 10 miles of driving. Suspension was perfectly quiet (as it should be) and a super nice setup for a daily driver, Car is still respnsive but the ride is also very comfortable. Car sits at what looks like about stock height and of course will settle a bit in the next 1000 miles of so. Very compliant ride. Pics will follow after I get the car cleaned up.
Sounds good. I have the VWR springs waiting on the shelf, like the old Driver Gear. I preferred them on my previous GTI, linear springs FTW.
DSG is faster, but you have a real beauty there. Best color, best number of doors. This R is very collectible.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Sounds good. I have the VWR springs waiting on the shelf, like the old Driver Gear. I preferred them on my previous GTI, linear springs FTW.
DSG is faster, but you have a real beauty there. Best color, best number of doors. This R is very collectible.
Thanks, I wish it had a DSG, I miss it but it is also fun to row the gears a bit.

Derlicious

Car looks great, I'm very strongly considering the VWR cup kit for my GTI. I want factory-like (or as close to it as it can be) with slightly (10-25%) increased damping force to account for aggressive driving. Drop doesn't seem too extreme, almost looks like my factory worn out ride height, but I'm sure it rides 1000x better...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car looks great, I'm very strongly considering the VWR cup kit for my GTI. I want factory-like (or as close to it as it can be) with slightly (10-25%) increased damping force to account for aggressive driving. Drop doesn't seem too extreme, almost looks like my factory worn out ride height, but I'm sure it rides 1000x better...
Drop is very mild and very city friendly, not going to scrape anything and clears parking stops. Ride is quite comfortable and it has been a year since I had stock suspension but I think it might ride a bit nicer. Handling is excellent and an improvement over stock in a noticeable way but still a nice ride. I have tried a number of suspensions over the years from KW, Koni FSD, custom coilovers (track), Bilstein B8 with Eibach Sportline springs and this VWR kit is the best for a daily. The FSD was just like stock, I drove my FSD, back to back with another stock vehicle and you could not tell the difference. Comfortable but not with the enhanced handling you get with the VWR. For the money is a great kit.

How it sits today with VWR kit

Pic of it the day I bought it on stock suspension

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I put another 100 miles on the new suspension. I really like it. To replace everything on a DIY basis, set aside 1000 dollars. If you have OEM suspension and want to reuse tops f/r. bolts, bump stops and have the tools you can get by pretty cheap. I would recommend this as a great mild upgrade for daily driving and weekend canyon fun.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So, no boost is my latest issue. Got one code that does not come back after being cleared. P00299,
Looked at hoses to see if I have a boost pipe leaking. Too lazy to do much more. Can't find anything obvious all vac lines are in place and in excellent condition. So many possibilities like N80, N75, DV ( I did take it apart seemed ok) and of course the turbo could be gone. Just going to drop it off at AU and let the pros handle it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well the good news is the turbo is fine. The bad news is the Cat all came apart. The really bad news is its 1200 for a new one. Only want new for best flow.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I will see how my car runs when I get it back. I expect it will run quite well as it has been. However I am nearing 112K miles. I am thinking that I may take it in for a light overhaul. New bearings, wrist pins, rings, pushrods, valve springs, seals, gaskets and have them pin the main. Probably won't do for another year unless the car develops issues but it runs so nicely.