GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New pics of my United Grey Golf mkVI 118TSI DSG

Oskar

Ready to race!
Well after sleepless nights ;) and endless looking through thread after thread, I have managed to effortlessly install a WD6050 unit into my Golf mk6.

So look no further - here it is!

"Pop" the pressure clips of the radio surround. You need to apply a bit of force so make sure you are wearing the brown undies.

Remove 4 mounting screws - with a star key (borrow from a neighbour)

Bye bye to boring standard stereo!

Handy tip! Remove shipping screws from top of unit. This will save you confusion about why the DVD won't fully load your DVDs :)

Simply unplug the old unit and plug in the new unit. The supplied adaptor and plugs can only fit ONE way so it is simple.

View attachment 316

Screw in mounting screws, "pop" surround back in and Hello Sexy! :w00t:

GREAT JOB ! Nice car and Nice Install, I sent you the Update file to change that Boring WELCOME Screen to VW Logos.
Sorry that you received that !

Oskar

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Looks a helluva lot easier to fit into the MK6 than is the case for the MK5. What about the MFD display? Any interaction there?

PB23

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it was a painless exercise. After reading threads on golfmkv.com and looking at install pics (for mkV) on the internet, I thought it was going to be a challenge for the mk6. Only need to pop the pressure clips for the radio surround and then 4 mounting screws on the stereo and plug-in!

There was even a pocket in the dash above the head unit for the GPS antenna to rest! Brilliant.

Haven't played around with the steering config alot yet, but as far as I can see there is no interaction with the MDI display. As mentioned before, controls on left steering wheel all work, including telephone in bluetooth source and mute button - didn't mention that in above thread.

saveferris

One more question, i was also reading on the Mk 5 forum that there was issues with the radio antenna/reception....Are you having any issues with the reception on your new unit?

PB23

Passed Driver's Ed
One more question, i was also reading on the Mk 5 forum that there was issues with the radio antenna/reception....Are you having any issues with the reception on your new unit?

No problems with reception - clear - no hissing as reported by other forums.

It may have something to do with the antenna on the mk6. It is incorporated in the rear window (looks like defrost strips) rather than the traditional rod antenna on the mk5.

Golf Mark 6

Hi there!

Ordered my Golf, should be recieving it before September (in the same colour). Dumb Forum newbie question time:

How much did the unit cost you and which site did you order it from?

Did you have Bluetooth before? Or does the unit allow you to use Bluetooth itself?

PB23

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi there!

Ordered my Golf, should be recieving it before September (in the same colour). Dumb Forum newbie question time:

How much did the unit cost you and which site did you order it from?

Did you have Bluetooth before? Or does the unit allow you to use Bluetooth itself?

Congratulations in advance! The car is awesome.
Did you always want the United Grey?

I ordered mine from Oskar. There is a 100-page thread about the unit at www.golfmkv.com and Oskar has been instrumental in problem solving any issues. He can be emailed directly on oskaramerica@hotmail.com or send him a private message from the message he posted above. He will quote you for the unit including shipping to your front door.

Last edited:

Golf Mark 6

I was in love with the Mk5 GT, so yeah, I really wanted that colour. Does it look ok against the tarmac? Everytime I see a grey car I start thinking silver would have been better, but then I visit the VW dealership and reinforce how much nicer our grey is...

PB23

Passed Driver's Ed
I was in love with the Mk5 GT, so yeah, I really wanted that colour. Does it look ok against the tarmac? Everytime I see a grey car I start thinking silver would have been better, but then I visit the VW dealership and reinforce how much nicer our grey is...

I did the same thing :) I went to the dealership a dozen times whilst deciding between the reflex silver and the united grey! I am happy with the colour choice and have had many (positive) comments about it. I got the windows tinted which makes it look mint.

I looks great during the day and brilliant at night (if I do say so myself) :D

PB23

Passed Driver's Ed
Also the slimline white on black custom plates for $200 in W.A. are a finishing touch!

InvinDT531

Ready to race!
As mentioned before, controls on left steering wheel all work, including telephone in bluetooth source and mute button - didn't mention that in above thread.

That's awesome. Such an easy install if you didn't want to get the nav option.