GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

lostru

Ready to race!
Ok. So I have tried to decipher 84 pages of info and S--t show. What head unit is the most current and where to purchase, RCD plus or elsewhere?

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
So. Many. Pages.

12' Autobahn GTI

Will I maintain MFSW controls.
Info in MDI including answer/end call.
Turn by turn directions in MDI.
Does OEM RVC plug into this.
Will the RVC parking lines be dynamic since I'm assuming I have a highline CECM.
Dynaudio compatible.

What are the downside - give us a quick recap please!

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
"Will I maintain MFSW controls."
Yes

"Info in MDI including answer/end call."
I don't remember at the moment, but I'm leaning towards no.

"Turn by turn directions in MDI."
No, you'll lose factory navigation. That page will simply disappear from the MDI.

"Does OEM RVC plug into this."
I think so. How do you have an "OEM RVC" though? AFAIK that wasn't available in the Mk6, or at least not in '12.

"Will the RVC parking lines be dynamic since I'm assuming I have a highline CECM."
Don't know, see above ;)

"Dynaudio compatible."
I've read people say it's not, but it works OK with my Dynaudio. I think some VAGCOM coding could probably improve things, but I'd say I get pretty good sound quality.

Gain:
-Bigger, better screen
-Apple CarPlay, and also Android Auto on certain versions
-Can be turned on even when the ignition is off, and will stay on after you shut the car off (personally I like that, like when I park and I want to finish listening to something)
-Little nifty things here and there, like being able to display text messages in the "Phone" screen
-Interface is cleaner and more modern (I'm not a fan of that whole "circles" thing the RNS315 does)

Lose:
-Factory navigation
-CD audio
-SiriusXM

I've had my 330 for about half a year now, and for the most part it's working out ok...BUT, it took a couple of tweaks and tricks to get it that way, and it has so many bugs and quirks, it's kinda hard for me to recommend it. Keep in mind that most ones out there for sale are loaded with custom, third party firmware. That has introduced new capabilities and improved things over stock, but is also more buggy. You just have to look at the pros and cons and decide what your priorities are.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
RVC did not come in US market MK6 Golf vehicles but came in nearly ever other market and is easily installed to replaced the hatch handle.

Thanks for all the info.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Why is there such a wide variance in prices on AliExpress? I see some 187B's for $180 and they go up to $280... I also noticed they have WILD firmware versions (e.g. 5711, 5814). Guessing these are experimental. Would I be able to backtrack to a previous version? Is this free to download them?

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Yah does anyone know what the latest firmware iteration is? It is updated via an SD card?

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Yah does anyone know what the latest firmware iteration is? It is updated via an SD card?

IIRC, it can only be updated from a USB drive, and I think it's picky with the format, too. I wanna say it has to be FAT or FAT32 as opposed to NTFS or anything else. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

_bootleg.cuh

Passed Driver's Ed
Why is there such a wide variance in prices on AliExpress? I see some 187B's for $180 and they go up to $280... I also noticed they have WILD firmware versions (e.g. 5711, 5814). Guessing these are experimental. Would I be able to backtrack to a previous version? Is this free to download them?

The ones that are around $180 are usually CarPlay only and is a Desay model. The ones that are around $280 are usually CarPlay and Android Auto and is a NoName model.

hid3

Hello everyone,

I think I must share my experience in order to inform others not to make my mistakes.

I will tell a story about two my recent purchases and how I got screwed up. One purchase was from AliExpress seller 'LEXUCAR', another was from eBay seller 'lvcz42057055' (Also known as Ddren on some forums).

My first purchase was what was advertised as RCD330+ 187B Noname on Aliexpress from LEXUCAR seller and strongly suspect that I got not OEM unit but some chinese knock-off / clone.

Inspecting lots of photos on the net and comparing them to my unit I realised that mine is most likely purely made in China by some company not associated with VW at all, rather than removal of OEM unit from newish car.

Here're some very small details revealing the truth:
1) the blue fuse on OEM unit has "15" rating marked with white paint. Mine is incorporated into the fuse itself.
2) the OEM unit has got side "rails" to guide the radio into the dashboard. Mine doesn't have those, they're missing
3) in case of OEM unit, there is either OEM label with VW logo or it is peeled off by china guys. Meanwhile mine doesn't have any signs of peeling, it has just a fresh nice label printed in China without any logos and with information which is definitely not according to VW factory standards
4) OEM units have separate labels with serial number either on case on on top of black blastic (or both), while mine doesn't have any of those
5) OEM radio removal has markings from screws. Mine came fresh...
6) and finally, seller confirmed it was some kind of "refurbished" unit!
7) and to add on top of all of that... My radio's serial number (seen in VCDS autoscan) is VWZZZ4H6290655 . Surprise surprise, if you google that number, multiple results will show up with autoscans dating no older than 2020 year. All of those units have firmware "5814" (which means it's RCD360, see first post of this thread!). And... why the hell all the radios are having same identical serial in the first place?! I doubt VW ran out of serial numbers and started making all them same

Please see attached pictures.

UNFORTUNATELY the unit stopped working after less than 10 days being installed in car
One morning I came and it was simply dead with no signs of life.

PLEASE AVOID LEXUCAR seller on Aliexpress, they sell junk!

The items I mentioned above may be good indicators you've received a fake, not OEM part!
In addition to that, Aliexpress DOES NOT allow me to leave negative feedback!

Second story, about my purchase via eBay from eBay seller 'lvcz42057055'. What I received is a partially dismantled unit, with missing Volume and Tuning knobs, a lot of missing screws and furthermore, what seems to me is a fake LCD panel!!!

Furthermore, I tried to install the radio into the car.
About 3 seconds after I connected the factory harness (Golf Mk6), I heard a "click" sound from inside the radio and very fine but stinky smoke started rising. It looks very similar like a transistor blows up - the ones who know this will understand what I mean.

Useless to say that the radio doesn't work. I replaced the fuse at the back of the radio (it was blown), checked the fuse in main fuse panel (was good), but still no go.....

Seller has sold counterfeight item, he admitted this himself in the eBay messaging system. He admitted that the unit is not VW original but made in some factory in China and he kept blaming the factory for shipping "incompletely assembled unit". In addition to that, he refused to either refund, or send a new working unit or accept old one for return (he didn t provide return address although the case for return has been opened).

I'd strongly suggest to AVOID buying from those two if you don't want want to lose your money and time....

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Seller confirmation.png
    Seller confirmation.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20210510_170918.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20210510_171730.jpg
    IMG_20210510_171730.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20210510_171744.jpg
    IMG_20210510_171744.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG-20210510-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20210510-WA0013.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 212

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Thank you for the heads up on this. Good to know who the dishonest sellers are. I hope you can manage to get a refund on these units.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Wow those are terrible experiences , it's crazy to think that people are selling fake rcd330s. I bought one 2/3 years ago , its been pretty good. I did change to a mib2pq recently because, I wanted that headunit originally . Price was decent and got a camera paired with it. I did make the dumb mistake of buying a rcd330 reverse camera around the same time I got the new headunit . So I did lose some money . Camera was actually purchase from DDrens eBay store , same as your second headunit. Transaction went pretty smooth , no issues . But guess he's doing some sketchy stuff now. Hopefully with a eBay dispute you can get some money back.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Wow those are terrible experiences , it's crazy to think that people are selling fake rcd330s. I bought one 2/3 years ago , its been pretty good. I did change to a mib2pq recently because, I wanted that headunit originally . Price was decent and got a camera paired with it. I did make the dumb mistake of buying a rcd330 reverse camera around the same time I got the new headunit . So I did lose some money . Camera was actually purchase from DDrens eBay store , same as your second headunit. Transaction went pretty smooth , no issues . But guess he's doing some sketchy stuff now. Hopefully with a eBay dispute you can get some money back.
i picked up a MIB2pq also, much better than rcd330 and cleaner look when rerouting the USB connection and the sound quality is better than RCD330

hid3

From what I understand, in earlier years (probably up until 2019 or early 2020), the RCD330s being sold at that time were actually pulled from brand new cars, as people wanted an upgrade to something better.

Chinese people noticed the success in big sales of this item. They simply ran out of units (because of high demand and not very high supply), and as we all know, they are very good at copying things. So in a country with lots of factories and very cheap electronics components, they reverse engineered RCD330 and started brewing it locally... The results of this are visible to naked eye.

Also, those who have bought it earlier - compare the price you paid at that time to prices now. I think they've almost doubled.

Just my $0.02. I don't have any evidence to back this up; but this is purely based on my experience and observations.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Let me ask you guys this. Where would one buy an RCD330 today? I'm thinking of adding one to my GTI. I know the sound quality isn't the best, but being hard of hearing I really don't think that would make a difference. I really want it for the carplay.

Reactions: kfg