GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise Pipe Delete/Plug Mod DIY

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
THANK YOU!!!! :thumbsup:

I talked you down from the ledge & saved you a few bucks too, lol
Like I said....if you REALLY want peace of mind (and you're tuned)...get the "D" diverter valve from ECS Tuning for $80 SHIPPED.

Are you chipped yet?
APR is having a sale...that should be your first mod (for power)

Do the Tiguan pipe. S3 intercooler is a great mod too, btw. Add that & a turbo discharge pipe....you just free'd up the air flow after the turbo!

Another nice addition is an intake too & then that's the perfect "Stage 1" car.

Add a downpipe & bam, then you're Stage 2!

No, thank YOU! :D
I realized that would've been a real stupid move to overspend on that product.

I need to find that DV!

Not quite yet; I'm waiting for my financial aid to get the downpipe+tune. ;)
I've heard that's the best bang for your buck, but since the shop is so far away, I want to kill two birds with one stone and go Stage 2 right away on one visit.

Yep, OEM S3 FMIC, AWE FMIC Hoses, and an AWE Turbo Discharge Pipe come with that package :thumbup:

The intake is already in there ;) My BSH Race Intake.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Is that just for the pipe or the pipe and the block off plate? I can't even find the Tiguan pipe on the USP Motorsports page.

The best price I can find on all 3 pieces is from Keffer VW Parts with the 27% discount code "vortex" as listed on the VWVortex forums.

1K0-145-770-N – Pipe
1K0-971-865-A - Conduit
1K0-971-866-A - Conduit

Total price 147.80 - 27% discount = $107.89 + Shipping ($16 ground for me).

I just wish somebody would find a part number for the stock double hose clip so I could get that as well.

Did you check 1stvsparts.com?
My order came out to about $110.
:eek:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Is that just for the pipe or the pipe and the block off plate? I can't even find the Tiguan pipe on the USP Motorsports page.

The best price I can find on all 3 pieces is from Keffer VW Parts with the 27% discount code "vortex" as listed on the VWVortex forums.

1K0-145-770-N – Pipe
1K0-971-865-A - Conduit
1K0-971-866-A - Conduit

Total price 147.80 - 27% discount = $107.89 + Shipping ($16 ground for me).

I just wish somebody would find a part number for the stock double hose clip so I could get that as well.

Thru www.discountvwparts.com

I came up with $104.04 + $10.40 for shipping :iono:

If you used the websites I listed before....it'll probably be cheaper ;)

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
The only difference with the TSI motor, is there will be a metal slip or sleeve inside the pipe where the plug goes, this needs to be slipped out before the plug can fit.

This sir, deserves its own DIY! I tried a little bit and I can already see it's going to be hard as hell, I'll go to autozone tomorrow and get an expanding plug to see if I can pull it out with that.

Last edited:

sukanas1

Ready to race!
Would me plugging it give me the same benefit of improved throttle response? and what EXACTLy does the tiguan pipe connect together?

NavinRJohnson1

Passed Driver's Ed
TIP: How I got the metal sleeve out

I just plugged mine w/Raven's plug and wanted to share a couple tips about how I got the pesky metal sleeve out. I read quite a bit about the difficulty people were having getting the sleeve out. While I found a few tips here and there, I didn't find anything that put it all together, so I wanted to share what worked for me. In all, I spent a couple hours, start-to-finish and in the end, I felt lucky that I was able to get that sleeve out. Before getting to that, I will say that this was an extremely worthwhile mod. The interior is significantly quieter -- and the noise you do hear is probably what most people would probably prefer to hear (the engine and turbo) -- not a fake hollow sound from the noise pipe. The throttle response is also definitely improved. In fact, it actually seems like the car doesn't stall/hesitate as much from a stop when you first give it the gas.

Ok, so here's how I got the metal sleeve out...

Once I unscrewed the hose clamp and removed the pipe from where it connects below the airbox, I could see the metal sleeve. But it seemed like the sleeve continued far down into the pipe. I started to wonder if my car had something different than the simple metal sleeve everyone else was talking about. Alas, I took a flashlight and could see that the sleeve was less than a couple inches long. I sprayed a little WD40 at the tip of the sleeve, but wondered how it could ever saturate behind the sleeve -- it just seemed to be in there so tight. I let the car warm up (as suggested by others) for 10-15 minutes before trying to pull it out. The only tool I could find that would have a remote chance of getting this out was a copper pin extractor tool I picked up at Home Depot. It has a sharp tip and I hoped it could grab onto the base of the sleeve, allowing me to pull it out. I had low expectations for my ability to get this thing out without some professional tools. There just wasn't much to grab onto -- the bottom of the sleeve met flush with plastic of the pipe! I wondered, what could possibly grip this sleeve, especially now that I've got WD40 on it? I placed the copper pin extractor at the bottom of the sleeve and tried to get a grip. I couldn't really get it to grip, so I pressed it against the base harder and pulled. It just didn't budge. Feeling pathetic, I put everything back together and drove down the street to an Exxon service center and had them look at it. (Someone had mentioned in this thread or another thread that their service center quickly pulled it out with a "reverse pliers" tool.) I have no idea what that is, and it's certainly not something you can go to Depot or a hardware store to buy so I explained all of this to the Exxon shop. They shook their heads and said they didn't have anything that could get it out. They suggested I try a transmission shop -- that they would probably have a "snap ring pliers" that could pull it out. Being a Saturday, I couldn't find any other shops that were open near me. Deflated, I drove home and planned to put this away for another day. Before doing that, I decided to give it another try with the cotter pin extractor. Again, pressing the tip of the tool firmly at the base of the sleeve, there was just enough grip (maybe a micron!) to give it a final try -- I pulled very firmly and strongly and the sleeve slid right out.

So, I think the trick is to really let the car warm up -- drive it for a couple miles -- don't just let it sit idle for 10-15 minutes. Also, don't forget the WD40. Honestly, I don't know if that helped, but it certainly didn't hurt. And last, just get one of these copper pin extractor tools (or similar) to grab ahold of the sleeve. They're $5 at Home Depot. You won't think you're getting a good enough grip, but as long as the tool has a strong sharp tip, you should be able to pull the sleeve out.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
i actually liked the way my car sounded without the plug. now it just sounds weak from inside... hell id hardly hear anything if i didnt have the carbonio and dv spacer lol

ray ebz

Ready to race!
I'm sorry if this a stupid question, im kind of a noob at the moment :p but what exactly does this do for the car. Does this help anything performance wise?

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
the difference is negligible, only makes the cabin super quiet. cant really hear much unless ur windows are down

whokiid

Ready to race!
2010 TSI Gti.

i decided to remove the Noise Maker Pipe without replacing the GTI/Tiguan pipe.

i removed the pipe and plumbing without any struggles.

i plugged up the GTI pipe (the one from the intercooler to the engine intake) with a rubber/plastic test pipe plug from home depot.

i inserted the test plug into the rubber hose and used the metal clamp included to secure the plug.

drove around for a half hour and everything was fine.

next startup, the car couldnt hold idle and died out. i checked under the hood and the plug had shot out and bounced around the engine bay, resting on the tray at the bottom.

so.

no ghetto-rigging.

yeah.

VAGlover1

Ready to race!
So, the better place to purchase a metal non-ghetto test plug is Autozone or Ace Hardware?