GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yeah I used a Chinese kit with no issues, definitely OEM for the chains/guides/tensioner though. Also you'll need some short triple squares to get the engine mount bracket off, I used these because you can also put a wrench on them to turn which I ended up needing to do

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JF5FAHO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yep! I have these. I also have this bit kit which will work too. You can stick the short triple square bit in and turn it with a wrench. It has both long and short versions.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Combinat...r=1-53-spons&keywords=triple+square+kit&psc=1

Jamister989

Have you found the DIY? There are some nice ones and after reading them you can determine if its something you can handle. If you can have the car down for a few days that would be best to incase something goes worng or you need another tool/part.

Gonna go looking for the guides today, I think these replies have helped encourage me to try to tackle it myself. I have several days off in a row and my dad has offered to help me.

I did my tensioner myself and it really wasn't bad. There are 3 videos I used that showed every single step. I did it in my mom's tiny garage with 2 jackstands and a jack. Just gotta make sure you have all the parts and specialty tools and you should be all set. Even if you dont have a tensioner failure, the chains WILL stretch, so you'll have to get in there eventually anyways.

Def anticipate having to replace Chain and guides as well with OEM parts, for something this important, OEM only imo. So you didn't need an Engine Support Bar at all?

I highly recommend doing the chain all at once though which is a bit more in depth. I had to go back redo the chain due to stretch. Theres a good several part video of a chain job on an Audi Q5 on youtube. Its the longitudinal enigne but once the covers are off the process is mostly the same. DAP recently posted a DIY on the tensioner on youtube. Heres a good PDF on the tensioner DIY thats pretty in depth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4oXXxLJzvEEVTNZRjhjVEJ5VGM/view

I recommend ordering one of the cheap chinese timing tool kits. They are only like $60 andive you everything plus a shortened version of the crank pulley tool that fits a 1/2 drive so you don't have to deal with the huge bar if you're on jack stands only.

Thanks! I'll def check this out, probably go ahead and order this kit as well.

Its just the tool kit. Not the actual parts, use OEM for those of course. Others have used this fine with no issues. You need a crank pulley hold tool, cam locks, a crank bolt spacer, socket for N205 valve.

Only $35. Beats paying $150+ for the others and this one comes with even more stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/i/262801600348?chn=ps

Kit looks like a great money saver, thanks for the link!

Yep! I have these. I also have this bit kit which will work too. You can stick the short triple square bit in and turn it with a wrench. It has both long and short versions.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Combinat...r=1-53-spons&keywords=triple+square+kit&psc=1

Put this on my list of things to get as well, Thanks BudgetPhoenix

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Gonna go looking for the guides today, I think these replies have helped encourage me to try to tackle it myself. I have several days off in a row and my dad has offered to help me.

Def anticipate having to replace Chain and guides as well with OEM parts, for something this important, OEM only imo. So you didn't need an Engine Support Bar at all?

Thanks! I'll def check this out, probably go ahead and order this kit as well.

Kit looks like a great money saver, thanks for the link!

Put this on my list of things to get as well, Thanks BudgetPhoenix
Hey Jamister989, sounds like you've got the knowledge and research skills to tackle the timing chain job. It was also my first big job on the car and I'm glad I tackled it. Made everything else I've done feel much easier. I have a bunch of notes and pictures in a post in my build thread. Link to the post is in my signature. I've tried to keep it updated as new information becomes available. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions as you research the job.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
This has been well covered. No, VW will not replace anything unless the tensioner actually lets go. No preemptive replacement.

And even if it did let go, the extended warranty only applies up to 100k miles, and phases out at lower and lower % of incurred costs between 60k and 100k miles. Pretty limited.

Jamister989

Its just the tool kit. Not the actual parts, use OEM for those of course. Others have used this fine with no issues. You need a crank pulley hold tool, cam locks, a crank bolt spacer, socket for N205 valve.

Only $35. Beats paying $150+ for the others and this one comes with even more stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/i/262801600348?chn=ps

What Crank Counter Hold tool did you use? Doesn't look like any of these chinese tool kits include this (T10355A)

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
What Crank Counter Hold tool did you use? Doesn't look like any of these chinese tool kits include this (T10355A)

Sorry I totally had a brainfart and linked the wrong one, this is the same one I have and I think I paid the same price for it.

You can prob find it on ebay if you keep looking through TSI timing kits. I was actually able to get it in like <7 days shipped from china though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/19p...lgo_pvid=d8dc8a49-46ce-4f19-9a1d-ec2870b7ea38

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
This has been well covered. No, VW will not replace anything unless the tensioner actually lets go. No preemptive replacement.

VWGoA’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty will be extended to cover repair or replacement, by an authorized Volkswagen or Audi dealer, of failed timing chains and/or timing chain tensioners of Settlement Class Vehicles during a period of ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles from the “In-Service Date,” whichever comes first.

So failed would only apply once it actually dies. ....Ah life...

smanierre

Autocross Champion

AM407

Autocross Champion
Don't cheap out on timing components

I wouldn’t call that cheaping out.

It’s the difference between OE and OEM, which is basically nothing. I’d take advantage of that sale price & buy that kit without hesitation.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I would avoid. Bremmen is a 3rd party manufacturer who is not an OEM supplier. At the very least go for the OEM Chain, tensioner and guides.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Bremmen isn't a VW OEM? Okay then, I might stay away as well.

Maybe look into that "build your own" kit on ECS instead. It's on sale as well, and you can mix and match the OE VW/Audi stuff with Febi parts to save a few bucks. (Febi is an OEM supplier, correct? Could be wrong about that too I suppose.)

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Febi is an OEM supplier for others manufacturers but I dont think for VW. At least not for the MK5/MK6 cars or any of the engine components that I could find. I researched this a lot when I was doing my timing. I pieced together my own kit. I basically just searched the part numbers and got them from a variety of sources. I got a legit OEM timing chain off ebay like $30 cheaper than anywhere else.