GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Just replaced mine at 115k miles.

unknown maintenance schedule but interior of engine was very clean. no Gunk or buildup.

Chain had not failed but tensioner was missing 1 tooth on the ram. It was only a matter of time. Replaced everything except the oil pump chain. Should be good for the life of my ownership.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone seen a 2013 gti have timing chain problems? Stretched chain or even a bad tensioner?

I preemptively had my tensioner changed due to excess rattling noise upon start up after the car had been fully warmed up and sat for 30 or more minutes. What made me jump on it was one time the whole engine literally shook and started very rough. After the car spent about a week or so at the dealer they wouldn’t do anything since they couldn’t “replicate” the “noise” and everything checked out to them. They were more worried about if I was tuned even though many have proven has nothing to do with it. They were playing dumb unfortunately. Build date was March of 2013. The guys who helped me out and changed it noticed wear and would be on its way out eventually. I change my oil every 5k with Motul, LM, and at the time oem when I was under warranty. The car just hit 40k last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flakomk6

Ready to race!
I preemptively had my tensioner changed due to excess rattling noise upon start up after the car had been fully warmed up and sat for 30 or more minutes. What made me jump on it was one time the whole engine literally shook and started very rough. After the car spent about a week or so at the dealer they wouldn’t do anything since they couldn’t “replicate” the “noise” and everything checked out to them. They were more worried about if I was tuned even though many have proven has nothing to do with it. They were playing dumb unfortunately. Build date was March of 2013. The guys who helped me out and changed it noticed wear and would be on its way out eventually. I change my oil every 5k with Motul, LM, and at the time oem when I was under warranty. The car just hit 40k last month.

The reason why i ask is because for a week my car make this rattle noise when i drive and the rattle is coming from the timing chain side.

I have no check engine light and the car has been driving fine.

Car is at the shop right now , Monday I’ll find out exactly what it is but my gti is a March build as well. And i am at 49k

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
The reason why i ask is because for a week my car make this rattle noise when i drive and the rattle is coming from the timing chain side.

I have no check engine light and the car has been driving fine.

Car is at the shop right now , Monday I’ll find out exactly what it is but my gti is a March build as well.

Never fully checked but I think it was the updated tensioner at the time. Hopefully the shop you have it at will figure it out. I know there is a ton of information from everyone on this forum so have plenty of advice on the matter. I’m just glad I did it. If they say not to replace it right now I would still do it just to have that peace of mind. Was worth the $1k to have a couple guys do it in their personal shop and got to see how it’s all done. Im sure the car could have lasted but $1k is cheaper than $5k-8k it would be for a new engine. I knew I was on my own once VW wouldn’t do anything about it.

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Never fully checked but I think it was the updated tensioner at the time. Hopefully the shop you have it at will figure it out. I know there is a ton of information from everyone on this forum so have plenty of advice on the matter. I’m just glad I did it. If they say not to replace it right now I would still do it just to have that peace of mind. Was worth the $1k to have a couple guys do it in their personal shop and got to see how it’s all done. Im sure the car could have lasted but $1k is cheaper than $5k-8k it would be for a new engine. I knew I was on my own once VW wouldn’t do anything about it.

Yes i know the tensioner was updated but you know we do own a gti with a tsi. Anything can go wrong lol from what i have seen/read there’s a revised chain now as well?

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Yes i know the tensioner was updated but you know we do own a gti with a tsi. Anything can go wrong lol from what i have seen/read there’s a revised chain now as well?

Yeah they suggested just doing the tensioner and not the chain from their experience on the matter. Car is too low of miles. Maybe at 100k it’ll need a new chain but it didn’t seem like an issue to them. Car runs strong after the tensioner replacement. It’s all up to you. My pockets weren’t as deep at the time to do it all.

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Yeah they suggested just doing the tensioner and not the chain from their experience on the matter. Car is too low of miles. Maybe at 100k it’ll need a new chain but it didn’t seem like an issue to them. Car runs strong after the tensioner replacement. It’s all up to you. My pockets weren’t as deep at the time to do it all.

Right same here pockets are that deep but just thinking of the worst , not sure why but hopefully nothing major when the shop figures out what’s wrong.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Right same here pockets are that deep but just thinking of the worst , not sure why but hopefully nothing major when the shop figures out what’s wrong.

Yeah I don’t blame you for not wanting it to be anything major. Like I said I just preemptively did mine to be safe. I definitely didn’t want to spend that money at the time that’s for sure but was too nervous not getting it done. All up to you with what you find out from the shop. Good luck!

Gino

Ready to race!
Dove into this yesterday after finding out it is up and running. 23 pictures and one long word document containing my service history mapped out have been submitted. Maybe now I will be one of the first few to get compensated :) I did self oil changes and just provided proof of oil and filter purchases. I had to only be missing like one oil filter I couldn't find to be linked to an oil change.

I called the timing chain litigation earlier today to get an update on the fairness hearing. Literally no update. Be careful guys, they didn't have my name in the database despite me submitting a claim with my name ALL OVER IT. When I emailed them I got a generic response asking for information about me instead of just letting me know how the case is going. Who ever these guys are I am starting to think they don't know what they are doing...

GTI_Karl

I just dropped off my 2010 GTI...76K miles. 1,000 miles over the carmax warranty I bought with the car :(. Apparently my cylinder head is all jacked up and it needs to be replaced as well which VW only covers 40% of. Looking like a $3500 job or so. Bummer, as I still owe like 8k on the car too. Has anyone had any luck yet getting any compensation back? I am planning to file a claim, I don't see how we are reliable at all for something that is clearly a fault in their design.

Joekerbs

I’m confused, can anyone confirm if VW is proactively replacing the timing chain and timing chain tensioner BEFORE the engine craps out, or are they waiting till the engine falls apart and THEN they fix it? 2011 67k miles and I get nervous driving this thing now..

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I’m confused, can anyone confirm if VW is proactively replacing the timing chain and timing chain tensioner BEFORE the engine craps out, or are they waiting till the engine falls apart and THEN they fix it? 2011 67k miles and I get nervous driving this thing now..

They won't proactively do it.

SHOMI

Ready to race!
My engine went today. Started the car and it had a rough idle and a CEL. I shut it off, scanned the car to find a P052a code. Got it towed to a shop who opened it up and gave the bad news. It's a 2010 with 204000 km. F sakes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ksa1

My engine went today. Started the car and it had a rough idle and a CEL. I shut it off, scanned the car to find a P052a code. Got it towed to a shop who opened it up and gave the bad news. It's a 2010 with 204000 km. F sakes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is there any recourse for you or are you screwed? I heard the class action deadline has also passed now.