GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Cooler Kit for the TSI engines

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Hi Guys,

Searched a lot but couldn't find a proper answer so here:

I've a K04 on my TSI motor and I regularly track the car (once a month atleast). The oil temps as usual are playing foul thanks to the terrible heat. I get max about 4 laps before it heats up and never comes down to a point when I can do another hot lap.

I've read the threads on the INA Oil Cooler Kit works great but it requires a hacked filter from an FSI engine.

Looked a bit more and came across these two kits that seem to be able to retain the OE Filter. Is this really the case?

HEL http://www.brake-lines.co.uk/hel-vw-golf-mk5-mk6-gti-oil-cooler-kit.html

DarkSide http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-front-mounted-engine-dsg-oil-cooler-kit.html

Now the DarkSide kit is for a TDI but it fits our cars just great as per them.

Confused as hell as to what to go with and will either of them really work with the OE Filter and nor require me to go filter hacking.

Advice, guidance and suggestions are appreciated.

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
I have the INA kit and still using the OEM filter just fine, you just have to twist off the bottom part, which is essentially an adapter. You'd have to do this for both of the kit you listed as they all use the same mocal thermostats

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Great. Thanks.

Any other suggestions for cooling for track days. Meth isn't an option here. I've already got a IE FDS intercooler and have relocated the DV using the Unitronics DV Relocation kit. Damn the K04 runs hot! Don't think a turbo blanket would help much?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Great. Thanks.

Any other suggestions for cooling for track days. Meth isn't an option here. I've already got a IE FDS intercooler and have relocated the DV using the Unitronics DV Relocation kit. Damn the K04 runs hot! Don't think a turbo blanket would help much?

INA's updated oil cooler kit doesn't use the sandwich adapter on the filter. It now replaces the factory oil heat exchanger behind the alternator. Below is the kit for the MK7, but the MK6 kit is very similar.

As far as the K04 running hot. Yes, it runs hot. If you think about it it's designed to make ~270hp and all the tunes are for like 100 more than that. The turbo is operating on the extreme upper limits of its efficiency range, so it's going to generate a ton more heat. A turbo blanket might decrease under hood temps a little but it's not going to anything to bring down internal engine oil and coolant temps.

Have you done any logging? Check your timing and correction factor. You might be detonating. What gas are you using? What tune do you have?

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
a turbo blanket would definitely helps a bit to contain the K04 heat. You are actually reaching your cooling limit with all that stuff lol. A bigger radiator would just be the last thing you need. Or if you can, just cut out some holes on your hood

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
INA's updated oil cooler kit doesn't use the sandwich adapter on the filter. It now replaces the factory oil heat exchanger behind the alternator. Below is the kit for the MK7, but the MK6 kit is very similar.

As far as the K04 running hot. Yes, it runs hot. If you think about it it's designed to make ~270hp and all the tunes are for like 100 more than that. The turbo is operating on the extreme upper limits of its efficiency range, so it's going to generate a ton more heat. A turbo blanket might decrease under hood temps a little but it's not going to anything to bring down internal engine oil and coolant temps.

Have you done any logging? Check your timing and correction factor. You might be detonating. What gas are you using? What tune do you have?

Yes, done lots of logging. Running 95RON map with 97RON fuel, no timing pull, no detonation. Running heat range 8 plugs with reduced gap.

I've noticed sometimes the car gets hot under hard braking or hard right hand turns on track. I track at Buddh International Circuit and its got more right turn than lefts.

Any links where I can purchase the new INA kit?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion

Any idea how much this is? I've been looking for an oil cooler, but can't stomach the $500+ most people are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Any idea how much this is? I've been looking for an oil cooler, but can't stomach the $500+ most people are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's over $500. The core is ~$200. Each one of those fittings is like ~$30 (8). The thermostat is ~$150. Plus the hose, then the machined piece $? Plus profit margin.

You could swap the inline thermostat and the machined piece and use a filter sandwich thermostat and cheaper fittings and it would bring the cost down. I figured if I'm going to do it I'm going to use the best stuff available.

I already have an oil accumulator (OPS) using the sandwich plate filter adapter, so I needed this oem oil cooler replacement alternative to feed the external oil cooler.

pamatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Tyrolsport radiator, red line water wetter, 2two cool oil additive and a good front splitter to force more air into the radiator.

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
don't use water wetter ever, it's going to fuck up your coolant as it was designed to work with PURE water not G12.

i don't see how a front splitter can force more air into the radiator, please enlighten me. It's also pointless to force more air into the radiator without an escape path.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
don't use water wetter ever, it's going to fuck up your coolant as it was designed to work with PURE water not G12.

i don't see how a front splitter can force more air into the radiator, please enlighten me. It's also pointless to force more air into the radiator without an escape path.

I agree. I don't think those additives are a good idea. In regards to the splitter I think he's talking about this.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2192014&postcount=29