GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replaced PCV now engine has gone bonkers

funkymcbain

Ready to race!
So I replaced my PCV with a new one. I didn't have any codes but I've been dealing with oil leaks, the main one remaining now is the rear main. Swapped the PCV and now the engine acts weird when coming off the throttle. I have a manual so imagine driving along, coming to a stop pop it to neutral and then at that point the revs drop to where they should be, around 800 and start to climb. Sometimes they will start to climb to 1600 or so and as soon as I come to a full stop they drop to like 1200, hang there for a sec and drop to 800. The car thrown a CEL so I will scan it but anyone have any ideas just based on that?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Did the new PCV come with a new gasket? If not, you'll want to put that on from your old one or order a new gasket.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Air leak or faulty PCV. If you bought a ebay or amazon PCV good chance its faulty, only use OEM PCV.

funkymcbain

Ready to race!
Hey, awesome thanks for the responses. It does come with a seal and it is an aftermarket unit but from a decent brand and supplier (basically a site in Canada that sells pretty much what ECS does). I'll go through my vac lines and everything, thank you!

zrickety

The Fixer
When you do the rear main, spend a few extra bucks for the billet piece from iAbed...the stock seal is a joke.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
When you do the rear main, spend a few extra bucks for the billet piece from iAbed...the stock seal is a joke.

This times 100x... I'll chip in $5 toward the difference.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I'm guessing something is not installed properly like the breather hoses, bad seal on the PCV or just a bad PCV out of the box which is causing a vacuum leak and misfire. I learned the hard way ONLY GET OEM PCVs the aftermarket ones will go bad eventually one way or the other.

I also did my rear main a year ago but opted to just use the new updated OEM rear main. The updated seal a couple years ago now sits inward vs outward so crankcase pressure seals it harder vs blowing it out. I read of too many people having issues with the iABED one and getting installed properly and DAP doesnt even sell it anymore for this reason. Although theres been plenty of happy customers with it too...

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
What do you guys know about this thing
https://germanoem.ca/parts/air-intake/engine-ventilation/breather-hose-oem-06h133583f.htmlWhat's with the weird white inside of that? Mine is all broken inside, but I think it's been that way for a while. Is it supposed to be plugged? Why does it have that weird pattern in there?

This is a fresh air line for the updated flapper solenoid that comes with all the new updated intake manifolds past like 2017, it gets installed if you ever had your intake mani replaced at the dealer under warranty whenever they released the new manifold. The white foam part is like an air filter that prevents debris getting pulled into the intake manifold but I don't think this would cause your issues you are experiencing.

zrickety

The Fixer
Does the iABED one still require special tools?
Actually it does NOT require any special tools. I put a little wheel bearing grease on the inside of the seal, it's a solid piece. Goes right over the crank. It's not a flimsy little flap like the oem part.

torga

Autocross Champion
I also did my rear main a year ago but opted to just use the new updated OEM rear main. The updated seal a couple years ago now sits inward vs outward so crankcase pressure seals it harder vs blowing it out. I read of too many people having issues with the iABED one and getting installed properly and DAP doesnt even sell it anymore for this reason. Although theres been plenty of happy customers with it too...
I haven't read any links/threads of people having issues with the iAbed RMS - from what I've read it sounded like one of the only fool-proof mods you could do to this car. Do you happen to have any saved, or remember where to find them? I'd love to read the other side of the story. I've got one in my garage waiting to be installed once I buy a clutch.