GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road trip or cruise over summer

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Not necessarily. I love traveling. I just returned from 2 weeks in Thailand and Singapore. However, sometimes it's nice to have a mindless vacation where you don't have to worry about taxis, subways, finding restaurants so on and so fourth. I cruise out of LA to Mexico every year. I never leave the ship. Port days are the best. The ship is half empty so you can just relax by the pool.

There are joys in the exploration of a land trip but they are not as relaxing as a cruise. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Be a shame if we were all the same. Half the fun of travelling for me is airports, taxis finding restaurants.

Thailand? Adult Disney World!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Be a shame if we were all the same. Half the fun of travelling for me is airports, taxis finding restaurants.

Thailand? Adult Disney World!

Fair disclosure. I travel for work overseas often and get 6 weeks vacation. As fun as it seems, it does become tiresome the more you do it. If I didn't get to travel as much it would be a different story.

Yes, Thailand is awesome. Pattaya is New Orleans Bourbon Street on crack.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Fair disclosure. I travel for work overseas often and get 6 weeks vacation. As fun as it seems, it does become tiresome the more you do it. If I didn't get to travel as much it would be a different story.

Yes, Thailand is awesome. Pattaya is New Orleans Bourbon Street on crack.

I also travel for work though not extensively and only get 3 weeks vacation.

I dig people watching. I always volunteer to get bumped.

Vietnam and Cambodia are on my SE Asia list.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Cruise gets my vote

Roadtrips are fun on the first day but, after that it gets boring as heck. I've never taken the GTI on a roadtrip but, I would imagine its even more tiring.

I have to disagree. I've taken my GTI on 2 long road trips the past 2 years totaling almost 7000 miles and I have to say it is an excellent long distance cruiser, especially after disconnecting the Soundaktor to eliminate highway drone. The car is quick, nimble, quiet, very comfortable (multiple 8+ hour days behind the wheel with NO back issues whatsoever), roomy enough, and very economical. The wife and I will be taking it on many more road trips in the future.

We also like to cruise (been on 6 so far), and we go to Europe every year as well.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Question is, what are you looking for? Party (cruise) or adventure (road trip)? At the end of a road trip, you should have a list of thing's you've seen and done, adventures, surprises and funny stories....unexpected twists and turns and challenges to overcome.

OK, so I'm a road trip kind of guy. We drove from NC to Colorado last summer to the FJ Summit and added a bunch of other stuff to the trip - 16 days, 5200 miles, 16 states, 4 national parks, several peaks over 12k ft. From the peaks of Colorado to the desert offroad of Moab to the Grand Canyon. Man, the stories we have to tell. Getting pounded in a hail storm on top of a 12k ft mountain in the middle of July until the entire mountain was white with hail; going off the wrong side of a rock ledge in Moab, scaring the fool out of everyone in the group as I slid right off; hanging my feet off a 1700ft drop off into the Grand Canyon, throwing rocks over and watching the wind carry them underneath the ledge you're sitting on until they disappear; having to shell out $600 to get your 4WD fixed in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere Colorado; etc and etc and etc. Something to remember a lifetime man.

But you definitely have to enjoy driving to make it happen.

Last edited:
dude.. those new cruises..

Cruise man. Get annihilated, party, bang some chicks, get a penicillin shot when you get back and you're good to go.

This man knows. Although he sold the gti to get a stang.. :paddle:

i think your mind should be made up now..

dude.. I want to go on that soo bad. 2 weeks wouldn't be enough to cover the whole boat...

btw, if you want to see more pics, its called "Allure of the Seas"

its like a resort on water..

and has specialty restaurants..

pretty sure you gain like 15 lbs when you get on these.

CANT.STOP.EATING. FOOD. :bellyroll:

and that one is ^ "Oasis of the Seas"

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Looking at doing a cruise this summer and Alaska seems pretty good. Was looking at princess and celebrity X though.

I would love to ride on that Oasis of the Sea though. I heard it has two parks inside.

Looking at doing a cruise this summer and Alaska seems pretty good. Was looking at princess and celebrity X though.

I would love to ride on that Oasis of the Sea though. I heard it has two parks inside.

my neighbors did a cruise to Alaska.. wouldn't shut up about it for weeks.. lol

DO EEET!!

i wish someone who has been on these cruises *cough daniel cough* can upload some pics.. :thumbsup:

A Caribbean cruise is what I want to do. Love the clear waters. Hawaii was awesome :happyanim: Bahamas is next on the bucket list.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
my neighbors did a cruise to Alaska.. wouldn't shut up about it for weeks.. lol

DO EEET!!

i wish someone who has been on these cruises *cough daniel cough* can upload some pics.. :thumbsup:

A Caribbean cruise is what I want to do. Love the clear waters. Hawaii was awesome :happyanim: Bahamas is next on the bucket list.

I've done an Alaskan and Mexican cruise before but they were when I was a kid.

The thing I loved the most about the Alaska cruise was how clear the water was. Also seeing the glaciers was very nice.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

THAT is exactly what I have no interest in experiencing. Too many people in too little space.

This is a gay cruise. My parents are on their 30'ish cruise and they don't party shirtless.

I've been on the Allure and it, like most ships, have plenty of quite spaces to get away. People can make it whatever they want - party or relax. But the pic above is not the normal lol.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
aside from the bikini girls, is that supposed to make someone want to go on a cruise or NOT want to go on cruise?

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Haha, right! I do have to say, a buddy went on a cruise to Alaska it it wasn't as much of a party cruise, but WOW did he see some awesome nature stuff! I have to say, it looked promising (since I'm into the outdoorsy stuff). I bet there are different cruises for different types of people, right?