GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

ForzaGTI

Ready to race!
Almost +2K miles on the R8. Currently odo is at 47K. Stocker went bad at 45K.
Had issues last week with misfires but it was the injector on Cyl 3.

Greefus

Gran Turismo Champion
When I went stage 1, I started getting hardcore misfires, but my plugs and coils were already well shot. I just needed 4 new coils and the red kit with plugs was actually cheapest, I didnt really believe they were r8s. I put like 7k more stg 1 and 10k k04 and no misfire problems. It's funny that they are r8s so it sounds cool even if they aren't very different. I really liked the guys using those karlyn STI coilpacks but those red r8 ones became such big volume sellers they don't cost much now and seem to work best

marylandgti

Passed Driver's Ed
About 6k and mine are fine. Changed mine to try different plugs and got packs at the same time. Now I have a spares I carry in the trunk.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Had an r8 coilpack blow out on me last week while I was on the freeway. Had them on maybe 10k or less.

interesting. where did you buy them from?

redmist1

Passed Driver's Ed
At about the 3000k miles I took my baby new GTI in for a Unitronic Stage +1 and DSG 1 flash.
In the first week, when I drove the car hard, the car would kinda stall out and loose power, and threw a CEL. Took the car back to my tuner, he saw the misfires, and cleared the codes. Told me it might be a one off and to bring it back in if it happens again.

I thought I had inferior fuel. Thinking that at stock the ECU was more forgiving of the gas quality, and the Unitronic tune needed the absolute best fuel. I spent the following weeks trying gas station after gas station too see if I could find a good one. No luck. Drive it hard... and a misfire. It was so predictable, I could make the car misfire on purpose. I had a Ross-Tech VDCS (vagcom) cable to read and clear the codes... it always happened around at 3100 RPMs.

I read somewhere on this forum that a set of new coil packs and spark plugs were recommended.
They seemed cheap, the video made it seem easy to install, and worth a shot.

Now just to be clear... there are other guys making red colored coil packs... I can't vouch for their quality or performance. I bought mine from ECS Tuning and they seemed to ship me legitimate original parts, and not knock offs.
NGK BKR7EIX4CLY
OE 06E905115E

Immediately the throttle response was reassuring. (I think it even sounded better.) I babied the car for a few days, and then drove it hard one night. All smiles! Misfire problem gone.
Used 93 octane fuel from any gas station.

+22k miles later no problems.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
interesting. where did you buy them from?

Yeah i was pretty surprised when it happened. I actually got them from a buddy of mine who works at a vw dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Alright possible first issue with red top coil packs.

High RPM misfires I neve had before. Happened in the same three cylinders twice, different occasions. Then I was getting weird starts where the car would drop rpm and almost die for a second.

Swapped out to a fresh set of reds and the start issue is gone. I need to put my tune back I had my eurodybe tune modified to lower top end boost since I was having misfires. Will put the old tune in and see if I get misfires again. But I really think the coil packs were getting "tired."

Most people know that my car is beat the F up with all the tuning, testing and random track days so I still feel this is a great and reliable mod. The coils packs were put on before I went k04 and have been the same all through the f23 testing with over 100 dyno pulls. There are probably only a few other cars who have beat up their could packs as much as I have.

So yes I would still recommend them. They didn't fail but I feel that they were getting tired and probably would. They have been on my car for 70k hard miles.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I installed a set two weeks ago and couldn't be Happier!:thumbsup::word:

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
Stocks blew after a stage 1 APR tune, about a week later, autozone wanted 25 a pop.. ECS wanted 22 a pop with free shipping.. not a single problem since, nor have a felt a difference in performance..

#winning

NBACousinVinnie

Ready to race!
I ordered the red tops from HS Tuning last week - after reading through this thread, I can't wait to install them with the new OEM plugs.

I'm completely stock for now, but it seems to me that they will still be a good preventative measure, and will sharpen the stock performance. I've experienced a bit of misfiring (I think that's what it is at least) between 1500-2500 rpm (mostly when not the engine isnt fully warm yet). I have 25,500 miles, and drive the car pretty hard.. so carbon buildup will likely never be an issue.

I've been searching for a DIY link for the install - can anyone help me out?

Jamester

Just threw on the R8 coils paired up with some iridium plugs. Been driving around all day(town and highway) with no issues. Only thing is when I did the initial startup there was a odd "ticking" sound but after the test drive it went away and hasn't come back. Other than that it seems to feel smoother but most likely because of the old coils had about 60k miles on them haha

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'd do it when you can, preventive is always good, especially with something so simple and easy to do. Cause, it really blows when when a coilpack.. blows.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Id buy them and have them on stand buy at the vary least. But then you might as well put them in then.