GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR clutch kit questions/concerns

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
They engineered a solution. You don't necessarily have to make your own parts to make a solution.
And I see it as a proprietary thing. Else someone else could just piece the kit and sell it as well. They never hid the fact that it was like stock solution. They aren't required to explain the part source.

Exactly. Why would they give away that information for free? So you guys could all go "try" and buy the same parts to get the same kit after all of their hard work?

They did not engineer or produce anything. They explained that through trial and error they found a combination of OEM parts that worked well for the needs of their customers and they buy and resell OEM parts.

They didn't engineer anything? I swung by when they were at there shop multiple late nights R&Ring different clutch disks, pressure plates, other things. They had a STACK of pressure plates and clutch plates that they tested to find the best thing out there. Do you think that's free? Maybe you should spend the money to do all of this and then come back here and tell us what the part numbers we should order are. How would you feel about someone taking all the time and effort you spent for free? Engineering isn't all CAD and shiny suits, it's mostly just trial and error. I know from experienece, and have worked multiple engineering jobs that were all just trial and error and see if it works. And I'll tell you this much, the items they are using are not just stock unmodified parts, and they aren't ones you can just go and order one of.

Companies do this all the time. It is consulting. Engineering is just solving problems man.

You can solve the problem yourself or pay someone to do it. In this case they do it for you and charge.
No one is stopping you from doing the research to determine the parts. All I am saying is they do not have to reveal the parts.
For your example, if I gave you the pencil and scratched out #2, you could buy pencils and figure it out, or just keep getting pencils from me.

This.

I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like the other "clutch" companies actually make anything for our cars either. SB / Clutchmasters just take fidanza / exedy flywheels, clutchnet pressure plates, and Sachs center sections, and slap a different friction disc on it, and then charge us $1300

This as well. Literally every other clutch manufacturer (like the people that only deal with clutches....) are just using a combination of PP's and disks from another car and at most designing a LWFW to bolt the stuff to.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it's called customer service and they have that(I say that as a previous customer), so doing things like removing part #s off OE parts is unnecessary

No way. Removing part#'s is absolutely necessary when you modify an OEM part. You'll see that throughout the aftermarket industry. APR's k04 may have the BW or VAG part# on it, because that part of the turbo assembly hasn't changed. If it were, you wouldn't see the part# on the part.

Let's say an RSR PP is sitting on the table when a TT-RS is rolled in needing a new PP. The tech sees the part#, assuming that this part is the OEM part. In fact, it's not. It was before the part was modified but after modification, it doesn't match Audi's print. Therefore it cannot have the part number stamped on it because that part doesn't match Audi's specification for the TT-RS.

At the end of the day, the tech installed the RSR PP into teh TT-RS. It may be fine with the RSR PP and not have any issues. But it may. How would you know? Or, how would you know that any other product VAG launches with that part# wouldn't have issues with HS's modifications?

It's not like they're trying to deceive anyone. It's just how engineering works logistically. This isn't some conspiracy.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
Are we totally sure that the disk included in the RSR is that much different than our stock clutch disk? Comparing images of the RSR disk and a stock one, they look identical.

RSR Disk

Stock Clutch image from ECS

Even more, on the ECS website you can chose a REMAN clutch kit for the TSI and it shows the exact 'euro' part number '03G141031T'. Is it possible that the disk they are selling is simply a stock one with an upgraded pressure plate (TTRS)?

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
The tech sees the part#, assuming that this part is the OEM part. In fact, it's not. It was before the part was modified but after modification, it doesn't match Audi's print. Therefore it cannot have the part number stamped on it because that part doesn't match Audi's specification for the TT-RS.

Thanks for posting the picture comparison. I think its clear the PP is different but the disks look awfully similar in your picture as well. As to your point earlier, what sort of modifications do you believe they are making to the TTRS PP?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting the picture comparison. I think its clear the PP is different but the disks look awfully similar in your picture as well. As to your point earlier, what sort of modifications do you believe they are making to the TTRS PP?

The disk is a little bit different. IIRC it was actually lighter than the stock disk, even with 45k miles of wear. Chiefly, though, the springs are bigger and the center section looked beefier.

As for the PP differences, I believe they modified it to fit onto the flywheel. I can't be positive as a lot of the machining on these are the same at the factory as they would be at HS. So telling the difference between factory features and HST's features is difficult.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Are we totally sure that the disk included in the RSR is that much different than our stock clutch disk? Comparing images of the RSR disk and a stock one, they look identical.

Even more, on the ECS website you can chose a REMAN clutch kit for the TSI and it shows the exact 'euro' part number '03G141031T'. Is it possible that the disk they are selling is simply a stock one with an upgraded pressure plate (TTRS)?

Both parts are 100% different than stock. But really who cares? The clutch is proven to work, so it doesn't really matter what they are using.

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
Both parts are 100% different than stock. But really who cares? The clutch is proven to work, so it doesn't really matter what they are using.

^this...people, just spend the money and get a GOOD clutch kit...you won't regret it...

unless you want to do the R&D work yourself and try different clutch disks, flywheels and/or pressure plates....but in the end HOW much money and time you've spent?? when one could just buy one of these kits and be done with it..

just get the RSR clutch kit, or SRE clutch kit or whatever you want....these kits have been proven to work, PERIOD!!!! because someone else has already done the R&D work for us

zrickety

The Fixer
I appreciate that they put a kit together. However, it's only a matter of time before the community figures out which parts are involved and piece it together themselves. I think the pressure plate is the magic here. Clutchmasters makes a stronger clutch for the DMF as well, most people don't consider this.

I appreciate that they put a kit together. However, it's only a matter of time before the community figures out which parts are involved and piece it together themselves. I think the pressure plate is the magic here. Clutchmasters makes a stronger clutch for the DMF as well, most people don't consider this.

I agree there. I did quite alot of research and found what appears to work. Just need to purchase the TDI or Golf R disc & throw out bearing.. comes to significantly less

I think for the clutchmaster clutch application that re-uses DMF -- its just most people feel the DMF is horrible and go single mass - but lose the cars refinement.

Hope more tuners release the rev hang delete....

Calkulin

Ready to race!

Already done ;) $410 shipped(I said $398 earlier but I forgot that I got charged tax on the PP) and that price includes everything pictured, the bolts and even the alignment tool also

Last edited:

Calkulin

Ready to race!
No way. Removing part#'s is absolutely necessary when you modify an OEM part. You'll see that throughout the aftermarket industry. APR's k04 may have the BW or VAG part# on it, because that part of the turbo assembly hasn't changed. If it were, you wouldn't see the part# on the part.

Let's say an RSR PP is sitting on the table when a TT-RS is rolled in needing a new PP. The tech sees the part#, assuming that this part is the OEM part. In fact, it's not. It was before the part was modified but after modification, it doesn't match Audi's print. Therefore it cannot have the part number stamped on it because that part doesn't match Audi's specification for the TT-RS.

At the end of the day, the tech installed the RSR PP into teh TT-RS. It may be fine with the RSR PP and not have any issues. But it may. How would you know? Or, how would you know that any other product VAG launches with that part# wouldn't have issues with HS's modifications?

It's not like they're trying to deceive anyone. It's just how engineering works logistically. This isn't some conspiracy.

That would be true if it was modified but then again, evidence says otherwise. And nobody said it was a conspiracy, I simply said that if you're going to sell a straight stock part, removing the part # can be perceived as being deceptive by some

Last edited:

Calkulin

Ready to race!

RSR Disk

Stock Clutch image from ECS

It's not the same as the original stock clutch disk but it is the same clutch disk that is included in the newer clutch replacement that VW sells for the TSI, 06J 141 015 J/X

I agree there. I did quite alot of research and found what appears to work. Just need to purchase the TDI or Golf R disc & throw out bearing.. comes to significantly less

I think for the clutchmaster clutch application that re-uses DMF -- its just most people feel the DMF is horrible and go single mass - but lose the cars refinement.

Hope more tuners release the rev hang delete....

The main issue is trying to find the clutch disk and pressure plate being sold seperately. I had to source the disk from Europe and the pressure plate with the stock disk and just basically either throwing it in the trash or trying to sell it somewhere to make a couple of bucks back somehow