GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR clutch kit questions/concerns

styling

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Just want to say again and remind everyone that higher surface area will decrease holding capacity!

Haven't heard any specific comments to the contrary, but there seems to be a leaning in this thread that the larger contact surface of the TTS PP will be better than the TTRS. For wear, that may be true. I don't know. But as a general rule you can expect holding capacity to decrease proportionally to the contact surfaces in question.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
you have the right idea, but from my understanding they just want to make sure the pressure plate makes full contact with the disk. putting a tiny pressure plate on a larger disk is not the same thing as a smaller assembly. you'll increase wear for no reason. the disk should always match the pp, so in your example you'd want a smaller disk as well.

also you're assuming the tts plate is applying the same pressure over a larger area when it could be beefier to begin with.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
you have the right idea, but from my understanding they just want to make sure the pressure plate makes full contact with the disk. putting a tiny pressure plate on a larger disk is not the same thing as a smaller assembly. you'll increase wear for no reason. the disk should always match the pp, so in your example you'd want a smaller disk as well.

also you're assuming the tts plate is applying the same pressure over a larger area when it could be beefier to begin with.

True, true and true. But the fact that the disk doesn't match the PP won't increase wear in and of itself - it'll increase wear because you have higher pressure on the disk. Those edges will make grooves in the disk, but their presence won't accelerate wear. So I don't buy that you need to have a matched disk. Evidenced by the many here running the RSR without issues.

Calkulin

Ready to race!

Thanks for the measurements, I forgot to measure the TT-RS PP I looked at but so people know the differences, it's about 10mm(.4") difference between the 2

Just want to say again and remind everyone that higher surface area will decrease holding capacity!

Haven't heard any specific comments to the contrary, but there seems to be a leaning in this thread that the larger contact surface of the TTS PP will be better than the TTRS. For wear, that may be true. I don't know. But as a general rule you can expect holding capacity to decrease proportionally to the contact surfaces in question.

Nobody has said the TT PP was better than the TT-RS PP but it's the correct PP for the disk I'm using, plus the fact that I wanted to try something different, was the reasons I chose it(being ~$200 cheaper didn't hurt that decision either ;)). If it holds my Stage 3 setup, I'll be happy, if it doesn't, I can still replace the PP for the TT-RS and pay less than the RSR would of cost me, so there's no losing for me

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
Thanks for the measurements, I forgot to measure the TT-RS PP I looked at but so people know the differences, it's about 10mm(.4") difference between the 2

Nobody has said the TT PP was better than the TT-RS PP but it's the correct PP for the disk I'm using, plus the fact that I wanted to try something different, was the reasons I chose it(being ~$200 cheaper didn't hurt that decision either ;)). If it holds my Stage 3 setup, I'll be happy, if it doesn't, I can still replace the PP for the TT-RS and pay less than the RSR would of cost me, so there's no losing for me

...with the exception that you'd be doing the job twice, when you could have had it done RIGHT the first time by buying the TT-RS pressure plate and use IT as it's known to hold stage 3 easyly

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
...with the exception that you'd be doing the job twice, when you could have had it done RIGHT the first time by buying the TT-RS pressure plate and use IT as it's known to hold stage 3 easyly

What you say maybe true but if Calkulin's TTS presure plate holds and is $200 cheaper and matches the clutch disc diameter (for better wear IMO) how would you know if it works without a try?

May be HS tuning would know as some have reported they went trial and error with many OEM part combos and they may have tried the combo Calkulin is using or maybe not.

IMO Calkulin is doing the same thing that HS tuning did but Calkulin is willing to reporting the results without grinding off OEM part numbers.

Last edited:

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
What you say is true but if Caulkin's TTS presure plate holds and is $200 cheaper and matches the clutch disc diameter (for better wear IMO) how would you know if it works without a try?

May be HS tuning would know as some have reported they went trial and error with many OEM part combos and they may have tried the combo Caulkin is using.

IMO Caulkin is doing the same thing that HS tuning did and is reporting the results without grinding off OEM part numbers.

OK, fair enough....i TRULY hope it works what Caulkin is doing with the TTS pressure plate and euro TDI clutch disk and is good enough for Stage 3; because that would give the rest of us some good news for getting these parts for WAY cheaper then what i paid myself for the RSR clutch from HS tuning....NOT that i'm not happy with it, BECAUSE I AM....

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
So what PP TTS or TTRS is the correct size for the stock gti disk? I may order the Audi PP to install with my DXD drop in disc

Calkulin

Ready to race!

Trying to save $600 is worth 2-3 hrs worth of work to me plus like I've said, I like to try different things, wanna know how many shifters I've gone through :bellyroll:

So what PP TTS or TTRS is the correct size for the stock gti disk? I may order the Audi PP to install with my DXD drop in disc

The one I'm using is the correct width

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I think this thread got a little side tracked with what I'm testing and what the actual parts for the RSR are, so for those that want to build their own RSR clutch, here are the parts necessary

Pressure plate - TT-RS
07K 141 025 B - Part of clutch kit 07K 141 015 B or 07K 141 015 BX(remanufactured)

Clutch disk - A3, Golf R, TT, Euro TDI, etc
03G 141 031 T - Can be sourced individually
Or
1878 005 146 - Sachs part # - Can be sourced individually

Throwout bearing
0A5 141 671 F
Or
LSC320 - LuK part #

Bolts
N 90320701 - Pressure plate - 6x
N 90847002 - Throwout bearing - 3x

EDIT: I forgot to mention the 1 mod that needs to be done to fit the pressure plate on the TSI flywheel

You need to open the 3 guide holes a little, we used a 15/64 drill bit

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Trying to save $600 is worth 2-3 hrs worth of work to me plus like I've said, I like to try different things, wanna know how many shifters I've gone through :bellyroll:

dang you make like $200/hr?...lol j/p....thanks for helping the community out though, if your follow up reviews are good, ill be a follower too. makes me sad that i bought the RSR just a month before, but I am happy with it though.

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
dang you make like $200/hr?...lol j/p....thanks for helping the community out though, if your follow up reviews are good, ill be a follower too. makes me sad that i bought the RSR just a month before, but I am happy with it though.

yeah, me too....i could have saved a few bucks by going Calkulin's route with the TTS pressure plate and euro tdi clutch disk which obviously would have been MUCH, MUCH cheaper

now weather or NOT it's going to hold stage 3 for him that's another story tread...

as for me i won't plan on going past stage 2 APR and i'm pretty sure Calkulin's option would have been JUST FINE FOR ME...

oh, well....still happy with the RSR though, even though i paid TWICE da money....lol

Stinger

Ready to race!
My 2 cents on the controversy...

All clutches are sourced from big manufacturers, so all retailers tinkle with parts or not, repackage and sell for profit. Fair enough. HS Tuning resolved a problem, fills a demand and makes a profit. Nothing wrong with that. How much do they actually modify parts for their solution (other than sanding part#) is in question. But at the end of the day, people are willing to pay a premium for a boxed solution, customer service and (I hope) a warranty should the solution fail.

Calkulin on the other hand is able to cut R&D because he has the RSR clutch as the model. He was able to figure out that clutch can be sourced piecemeal, requires no modification and can be had for half H&S Tuning's clutch. If anything, that's the power of the internet and forums such as this one. There will always be guys like Calkulin out there and I'm thankful for this.

Eventually H&S Tuning will need to lower their price to a competitive point or just drop the business if the effort is more than the return. I hope they've sold enough clutches to justify the time they spent figuring out what works because sanding OEM part# is not value-add. But I'd think there is still a business sourcing/packaging/retailing/warranting RSR clutches to a general public not accustomed to doing what Calkulin does.