GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RSR clutch kit questions/concerns

Calkulin

Ready to race!
My 2 cents on the controversy...

All clutches are sourced from big manufacturers, so all retailers tinkle with parts or not, repackage and sell for profit. Fair enough. HS Tuning resolved a problem, fills a demand and makes a profit. Nothing wrong with that. How much do they actually modify parts for their solution (other than sanding part#) is in question. But at the end of the day, people are willing to pay a premium for a boxed solution, customer service and (I hope) a warranty should the solution fail.

Calkulin on the other hand is able to cut R&D because he has the RSR clutch as the model. He was able to figure out that clutch can be sourced piecemeal, requires a minor modification and can be had for half H&S Tuning's clutch. If anything, that's the power of the internet and forums such as this one. There will always be guys like Calkulin out there and I'm thankful for this.

Eventually H&S Tuning will need to lower their price to a competitive point or just drop the business if the effort is more than the return. I hope they've sold enough clutches to justify the time they spent figuring out what works because sanding OEM part# is not value-add. But I'd think there is still a business sourcing/packaging/retailing/warranting RSR clutches to a general public not accustomed to doing what Calkulin does.

Agreed with you 100% but there 1 correction and I amended my post to add that. And remember, this is not just my modification, HS Tuning has to do the same for the TSI version they sell

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
EDIT: I forgot to mention the 1 mod that needs to be done to fit the pressure plate on the TSI flywheel

You need to open the 3 guide holes a little, we used a 15/64 drill bit

Sounds like the same mod that has to be done to the sachs sre kit with DMFW. Also should be no big deal to anyone tearing into this job.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
You know what would be hilarious. If a company began selling the R8 coilpacks years ago as rebranded coilpacks for twice the price. If folks were paying $200 for a misfire solution and then found out it's an oem part that could be sourced for dirt cheap, what would happen? Probably what has already happened today, everyone sells them for a decent price.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making money but an oem upgrade does not mean 100% price hike imo. They could have spent that time determining a unique solution to one of our many other issues.

For example: HSTuning Aluminum water pump? *hint hint*

SHOMI

Ready to race!
Any recommendations for sourcing all these parts?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I think this thread got a little side tracked with what I'm testing and what the actual parts for the RSR are, so for those that want to build their own RSR clutch, here are the parts necessary

Pressure plate - TT-RS
07K 141 025 B - Part of clutch kit 07K 141 015 B or 07K 141 015 BX(remanufactured)

Clutch disk - A3, Golf R, TT, Euro TDI, etc
03G 141 031 T - Can be sourced individually
Or
1878 005 146 - Sachs part # - Can be sourced individually

Throwout bearing
0A5 141 671 F
Or
LSC320 - LuK part #

Bolts
N 90320701 - Pressure plate - 6x
N 90847002 - Throwout bearing - 3x

EDIT: I forgot to mention the 1 mod that needs to be done to fit the pressure plate on the TSI flywheel

You need to open the 3 guide holes a little, we used a 15/64 drill bit

Gold. Thanks for putting this together. I'm sure I'll need another clutch if I follow through with my plan to ride this car into the ground. Also, I was pretty sure that was the modification that needed to be made to the PP, but wasn't sure without having seen the stock plate.

Agreed with you 100% but there 1 correction and I amended my post to add that. And remember, this is not just my modification, HS Tuning has to do the same for the TSI version they sell

Hence, for all you conspiracy theorists out there, why the part# needed to be ground off. No way that part would work in a TTRS after this modification.

butchered by autocorrecr

Stinger

Ready to race!

SHOMI

Ready to race!
Anyone have torque specs on the TTS PP and TTRS PP?

Looking at engine configurations TT RS makes significantly more power than the TTS:
TTS:
200 kW (272 PS; 268 bhp) @ 6,000
350 N•m (258 lbf•ft) @ 2,500–5,000

TT RS:
250 kW (340 PS; 335 bhp) @ 5,400–6,500
450 N•m (332 lbf•ft) @ 1,600–5,300

Also, how important is it to match the clutch disc diameter? As mentioned by XGC75, the RSR is evidence you don’t need to have a matched disc.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Any recommendations for sourcing all these parts?

I sourced my Sachs version from Spareto for $198 but there are many more venders to get them from, like if you want the VW version, it looks like Partsale.eu has it and ships to the US

For the pressure plate, it can be found from many places in the US, just search the part #(it helps sometimes to remove the spaces)

Hence, for all you conspiracy theorists out there, why the part# needed to be ground off. No way that part would work in a TTRS after this modification.

butchered by autocorrecr

That's only true for the TSI version, the FSIs & TFSIs don't require that mod, so what's the excuse there :iono:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
That's only true for the TSI version, the FSIs & TFSIs don't require that mod, so what's the excuse there :iono:

Ahh I wasn't thinking about those versions. Has anyone seen whether they grind the number off those as well? Or maybe there is something else they need to modify on those?

butchered by autocorrecr

clownish

just clowning around
Ahh I wasn't thinking about those versions. Has anyone seen whether they grind the number off those as well? Or maybe there is something else they need to modify on those?

butchered by autocorrecr

APR grinds the part numbers off the OEM parts they use as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk