GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, I got a GTI...

littleturbodub

Ready to race!
OP relax man, take a chill pill and relax.
Your car is fine, don't sweat the small stuff. Go one by one and relax.
Call up all the big tuners and ask them to check it. The fact they're asking $50 is BS, I would argue that.
The big tuners out there are:
APR
GIAC
REVO
UNITRONIC

You can always PM their representatives on this board and ask them

Step 1) find out if tuned
If not tuned order your R8 coilpacks from hstuning.com

If you're tuned, find out who has done it and go to stage 1

Step 2) install R8 coilpacks
Step 3) drive your car like you stole it
Step 4) order a full intake and install it yourself
Step 5) order the forge diverter kit and install it
Step 6) enjoy your psshh noises and drive it like you stole it

IF any issues with your clutch come up, put it back to stock mode (the tuner will teach you this)
Save up for a clutch or drop in disk

[emoji41]

czirrfb

Banned
Well i'm going over to the shop today after work, i'll check if tuned, then get it done. And then head over to the audi dealership and get the R8 coilpacks and put them in.

Or should I just wait and see if I get any misfires first? Seems pointless to waste $ on new coilpacks if mine are fine.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Well i'm going over to the shop today after work, i'll check if tuned, then get it done. And then head over to the audi dealership and get the R8 coilpacks and put them in.

Or should I just wait and see if I get any misfires first? Seems pointless to waste $ on new coilpacks if mine are fine.

They are $75 and good to keep around. But waiting till you need them is fine too.

littleturbodub

Ready to race!

I wouldn't change them unless they go bad. If you plan on getting tuned in the next day or 2, you might as well get them

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
If you think the car is just about as fast as your 350z, then it's probably tuned. Stock GTI feels like a boat anchored.

I also recommend upgrading your coils while your at it because it's just more of a peace of mind.

I also notice your MT (man points for that), so I recommend the Diesel Geek Short Throw Shifter. A simple mod that will make you love your driving experience even more with the shorter shifts and more of a firm feeling dropping it into gears.

Theres a million more things you can do but it's up to you how much money you want to dump.

czirrfb

Banned
I got a quote.

Before and after dyno test, test for any tunes previously done, install APR stage 1 all for around $800 says they can add a switch later on that will allow me to turn it to stock mode and back to stage 1 again for like $120.

czirrfb

Banned
I dunno why peopel act like the 350z is so fast. I had the DE engine. It weighs more than the GTI and has like 280hp and 270tq so I can see a stock GTI being head to head with a stock (DE) 350z. I'm sure the V6 has more top end though but 0-100mph should be fairly even.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I got a quote.

Before and after dyno test, test for any tunes previously done, install APR stage 1 all for around $800 says they can add a switch later on that will allow me to turn it to stock mode and back to stage 1 again for like $120.

apr uses the cruise control stalk so no switch is needed unless there talking about apr mobile. this will lead into another discussion about warranty and "stock" mode on a tune.

czirrfb

Banned
ALSO he says that with a stage 1 there is no chance of my clutch slipping. Says once I go Stage 2, then I may need to start worrying. He has done HUNDREDS of these and they all go well, says to avoid the forums because the people who have time to post on the forums dont have enough time to know what they are talking about.

His words, not mine.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
if I were you I would wait for the spring/summer sale for apr or revo. apr does there full tune for about $700 bucks which is fully loaded. revo usually does 20-25 percent off the retail price. with revo if you go stage 1 and decided to go stage 2 you just pay the difference.

I would suggest getting a better clutch in the mean time. I would also buy another set of coils, not necessarily R8 but having a set will save you down time in the long run. usually after a tune, ive seen it happen, the stock coil will tend to blow one of them.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
ALSO he says that with a stage 1 there is no chance of my clutch slipping. Says once I go Stage 2, then I may need to start worrying. He has done HUNDREDS of these and they all go well, says to avoid the forums because the people who have time to post on the forums dont have enough time to know what they are talking about.

His words, not mine.

Sweet listening to a salesman is always the best. :laugh:

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion

His words, not mine.

i wouldn't say there Is no chance. yes there is. and as far as forums, we all have our own experiences, but im sure he owns hundreds of gti's that run cherry.

take it from me OP, I had a civic si for almost 6 years going into gti I knew nothing about and the first week I was all tunes this do that. take some time to actually read what comes up in the threads as far as engine issues/warranty threads and even see what parts are for sale. don't burn your bridges here.

Wykdtron

Ready to race!
if I were you I would wait for the spring/summer sale for apr or revo. apr does there full tune for about $700 bucks which is fully loaded. revo usually does 20-25 percent off the retail price. with revo if you go stage 1 and decided to go stage 2 you just pay the difference.

This x1000. Wait until spring sale because you get so much more for your money. The time between now and the spring sale is around a couple months and then you get stock mode plus 3 other modes and its all controlled from your cruise control lever. Plus waiting until the spring sale will give you some time to feel the stock car then the tune will be even more awesome.

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
Sweet listening to a salesman is always the best. :laugh: