GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

ksandman

Ready to race!
I had a spare sitting around I got for next to nothing, rebuild it, coat it, port it... Install it. If I was in the situation where I truly needed a brand new turbo, ko4 would be my choice. Brand new ihi is not worth the insane amount of money they want for them. And you're right that doesn't even include labor and everything else.

Also if I went with a ko4, I'd have to restart my tune.. Again.

When I do "upgrade" it'll be a gtx2867r

Hopefully stratified will soon give out some more info on their aux fuel upgrade for our cars. That’ll make going gtx much more simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksandman

Ready to race!
This, definitely. If/when my K03 goes I don't feel such an attachment to it that I'd buy a brand new one to replace it. If I got a used K03 for super cheap I might be inclined to send it off to someone to be ported and coated, maybe if the person knew what they were doing modify the blades to move the powerband up in the rev range a bit...

But absent that a K04 would be the natural choice as the price isn't that much greater than a new replacement K03. I imagine a K04 capped at 300 crank horsepower would still be a really nice drive.

Another big concern for me with a K04 is heat. When I get to doing track days I'd rather have less power and less heat, as there's plenty of reports of K04 cars running "peak power" tunes that can't go for more than a few laps without overheating. I'd also rather not have to add 20-25 lbs of intercooler to the nose of the car and would prefer to stick to a lighter weight plastic Golf R intercooler. Of course the weight wouldn't be as much of a bother on a track, but for my day to day enjoyment where I spend most of my time chucking the car around tight corners in the 25-50 mph range the extra weight in that position would be intolerable.

I don’t think a front mount like neuspeed or even the knock off “arm motorsports” would weigh that much. Cts one I had though, that bitch was heavy as fuck. I’m sure ATP’s front mount kit is much lighter than any of the aftermarket stock location intercoolers. They use a Garrett core. You could always utilize meth to keep the nose lighter while significantly lowering iat’s

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hopefully stratified will soon give out some more info on their aux fuel upgrade for our cars. That’ll make going gtx much more simple.

There's a good group on Facebook focused around the Torqbyte CM5-LT that has helped me a lot with figuring out what I wanna do for my fueling.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ksandman

Ready to race!
There's a good group on Facebook focused around the Torqbyte CM5-LT that has helped me a lot with figuring out what I wanna do for my fueling.

I am one of the few people without a Facebook. The market place and car forums on Facebook have me wanting to make another account though lol.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I am one of the few people without a Facebook. The market place and car forums on Facebook have me wanting to make another account though lol.

100% only reason I haven't deleted mine. Granted most of the questions are "WiLl ThEsE 17x7et51 wHeElS fIt My GtI???" But there are a few people that have good info that make it worth it. Mainly the big turbo group and the Torqbyte group

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I don’t think a front mount like neuspeed or even the knock off “arm motorsports” would weigh that much. Cts one I had though, that bitch was heavy as fuck. I’m sure ATP’s front mount kit is much lighter than any of the aftermarket stock location intercoolers. They use a Garrett core. You could always utilize meth to keep the nose lighter while significantly lowering iat’s

First I gotta say that if your priority is pure acceleration the weight thing isn't so much an issue here, the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks.

That said, the best I could find was a Vortex thread in the Mk7 forum, and it's second hand information (possibly unreliable). I assume that it's still reasonably close to what we could expect for our cars.

The Golf R intercooler (Mk7) weighs just under 8 lbs. All of the bar and plate intercoolers are listed at weighing in at 25 lbs up to around 30 lbs with the upgraded tube and fin intercoolers splitting the difference at around 15 lbs.

With that..... I suppose it might be worth going with a nicer tube and fin intercooler. Water/meth is also a great option and you get to choose exactly where you want to place the extra weight.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Pretty much what I did. Hardly use it.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

First I gotta say that if your priority is pure acceleration the weight thing isn't so much an issue here, the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks.

That said, the best I could find was a Vortex thread in the Mk7 forum, and it's second hand information (possibly unreliable). I assume that it's still reasonably close to what we could expect for our cars.

The Golf R intercooler (Mk7) weighs just under 8 lbs. All of the bar and plate intercoolers are listed at weighing in at 25 lbs up to around 30 lbs with the upgraded tube and fin intercoolers splitting the difference at around 15 lbs.

With that..... I suppose it might be worth going with a nicer tube and fin intercooler. Water/meth is also a great option and you get to choose exactly where you want to place the extra weight.

Under 8 lbs... that's crazy light.

I run the ARM fmic. It isn't that heavy, probably significantly lighter than any stock location options.

Doesn't cool well enough for me here in TX though.... granted when it's 110-120 outside any intercooler's benefits are diminished.
I recommend stock location to those who don't plan on running meth or some type of additional cooling.

I'm adding direct port water meth soon for this reason. Hope to have everything setup by march. I want to hop on a dyno before it gets too hot outside.

pdan

Ready to race!
Is is really worth going with a “big turbo” upgrade like a gtx2867r rather than an easier OEM solution like a K04?? I mean we are still talking about a front wheel drive hatch. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the GTI, but I still haven’t done enough research to steer me towards all the extra cost that’s associated with a bigger turbo rather than basically a bolt on. I’d rather keep the GTI at K04 with an LSD and save the money for my next project, potentially trying to pick up a wrecked gt86 then build the motor and slap a big turbo on it.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Is is really worth going with a “big turbo” upgrade like a gtx2867r rather than an easier OEM solution like a K04?? I mean we are still talking about a front wheel drive hatch. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the GTI, but I still haven’t done enough research to steer me towards all the extra cost that’s associated with a bigger turbo rather than basically a bolt on. I’d rather keep the GTI at K04 with an LSD and save the money for my next project, potentially trying to pick up a wrecked gt86 then build the motor and slap a big turbo on it.

Depends what you want. The 2867 is definitely the tame end of the BT spectrum. Won't spool as quick as a K04 but will still have a very useable power band and is capable of a lot more than the k04. I think one kid on FB that Alex is tuning is around 450 at the wheels with the 2867. You'll probably have to learn to play with the throttle a good amount to hook but going with a "smaller" big turbo like that would still probably work very well on these cars.

ksandman

Ready to race!

I mean if your goal is to build a gt86 then I would say save yourself the trouble and keep it k04 and focus on the project car. If you wanna make excessive jam on your gti then go BT. Although, I think the 2867 would be perfect for our engines and it’s really not too much more work over a k04 if you do most of the work yourself

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
The biggest shortcoming to making bigger power on a lot of cars is the fuel system. This can be maxed out even on a K04 on some cars - especially in the cold. Working on getting this addressed but to maximize even a K04 and especially a 2867 plan for additional fueling (WMI etc.). I hope to have our fuel kits out early this year.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
The biggest shortcoming to making bigger power on a lot of cars is the fuel system. This can be maxed out even on a K04 on some cars - especially in the cold. Working on getting this addressed but to maximize even a K04 and especially a 2867 plan for additional fueling (WMI etc.). I hope to have our fuel kits out early this year.

Hey alex,

Car has been running great since you tuned it over the summer [emoji1303]

Question about WMI; I am piecing together a kit right now but dont plan on going crazy with it, just having a nozzle in the TB pipe post IC and another nozzle in the TB spacer. Will that be enough to make a difference once you tune for it? Also, what size nozzles do you recommend for my type of basic setup. Thanks.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hey alex,

Car has been running great since you tuned it over the summer [emoji1303]

Question about WMI; I am piecing together a kit right now but dont plan on going crazy with it, just having a nozzle in the TB pipe post IC and another nozzle in the TB spacer. Will that be enough to make a difference once you tune for it? Also, what size nozzles do you recommend for my type of basic setup. Thanks.

Don't want to speak for Alex but I think there are people spraying a whole lotta meth both post ic and pre tb so I think it should be enough to make a difference. Also aquamist has a chart somewhere on their website for determining nozzle size if you wanna try to look for that, I'm on mobile now so I can't.

Edit, found the link http://howertonengineering.com/calculating-jetting/

tofuD01

Ready to race!
December update recognises my car now! But the OTS maps are for ECU 5K0907115 whereas my car is 5K0907115N.

I've droppped stratified VW an email and hoping they can help. Can't pair the AP to the car unless you have a map to flash?