GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Cleanest GTI? A Documentary by AutoLavish of Michigan

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
yeah, about that.... I'll admit it - I love the tunnel wash. I'm just being honest - I love my GTI like it's my baby, and to date I haven't considered tunnel washes to be abuse. There's a few good ones here, they use all microfiber, etc. I may change my ways after this detailing but... I just can't imagine washing my car myself through the 18 degree NJ winter. Maybe you could explain what makes the tunnel wash so bad and scare me away from it. Or tell me it's ok as long as I maintain a good coat of wax?

I can't stress this enough: if you want to go through the tunnel wash, then DO NOT go to Phil, or David from Street Dreams Detail, or any other "high end" detailer as you'll waste your money.
If you want your car to look like the car featured in this thread for longer than a single wash, then you'll need to do some very specific things to maintain it. If you're not willing or able to do that, then I'd encourage you to not waste your time and money.

Please keep in mind, you're car can still look better than most cars you'll see, and can still be in amazing shape without this type of work being performed. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have the convenience of a clean car a tunnel wash away, and as proof, you'll notice that for 99% of owners, that's more than good enough.

No wax will protect your car from the damage they will inflict. Wax is the least of your problems.

There is absolutely no way that a tunnel wash will have clean MF towels, and every one I have ever seen are operated by high school students....who's goal is to get the job done as fast as possible. Find a good touch less wash and go there when you can't wash it yourself.

Very true as to the nature of your car being wiped by dirty clothes which will cause tons of swirls in a single use. Most people just don't notice the damage, because what's 1,000 swirls on a car that already has 100,000 swirls?

The problem with touchless washes is they use harsh chemicals in order to clean your car without having physical agitation. This means that a single use will strip your wax or sealant from your paint.
Of course they get around this issue (as do "soft touch" washes as well) by adding "beading agents" into the rinse water. This gives you the illusion you still have protection, because your car is still beading. If you were to take your car home and give her a proper two-bucket wash with properly diluted car wash soap after going to the touchless, you'd notice water laying extremely flat as bare paint does not create enough surface tension to make water bead AKA you'll see you have no protection on your vehicle.

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
Hey Marc,

You guys do great work...I am a hack detailer by your standards, but my brother and I have been doing the Klasse AIO and sealant every 6 months or so and waxing every month or so. We're still learning and your tips have been very helpful.

I see you're in SE Michigan...what is your advice on the conditions we've been having? I have been spraying it off only at the coin car washes and would rather sand the paint off than put it through a touch wash. I know the touchless car washes are super harsh too as you mentioned.

Do you guys still try to wash in the winter or do you not bother? I am not afraid of the cold, I just feel like I can't do a good job with the water nearly (or actually) freezing on the paint. That and there is just so much grit/salt on everything. Any tips would be appreciated! Feel free to plug your services if that's the best option too :)

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
Hey Marc,

You guys do great work...I am a hack detailer by your standards, but my brother and I have been doing the Klasse AIO and sealant every 6 months or so and waxing every month or so. We're still learning and your tips have been very helpful.

I see you're in SE Michigan...what is your advice on the conditions we've been having? I have been spraying it off only at the coin car washes and would rather sand the paint off than put it through a touch wash. I know the touchless car washes are super harsh too as you mentioned.

Do you guys still try to wash in the winter or do you not bother? I am not afraid of the cold, I just feel like I can't do a good job with the water nearly (or actually) freezing on the paint. That and there is just so much grit/salt on everything. Any tips would be appreciated! Feel free to plug your services if that's the best option too :)

Hello there,
It doesn't sound like you're a hack detailer by any means. Hacks are the type to do bad work and try to pass it off as outstanding. If you know and understand your limitation, than you're the opposite of a hack. You're an enthusiast looking to better his skills so his car can look that much better. :thumbsup:

Northern Winters suck. There's no way around the elements, so we have to make the best of things. If your car has decent protection, I recommend letting it be. The only reason to try to get it clean or cleaner is for peace of mind. There's no other real advantage. Some guys are worried about salt, but I'd like to remind you that if you get rust, it's not going to be in the middle of the outside of a panel, but rather along the areas you're NOT going to wash like the inside lower edge of a door panel. Therefor, washing your car could mean more salt water gets in the places you don't want it to get. Tough choices to make!

There's no need to plug my services; the fact you know I exist it mission accomplished. People come to me because they want it done right, safely, effectively, and without having to do it all themselves. That doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't have access to accurate information IMO. I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost.

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
Cool, thanks for the tips...I am going to have to let you guys loose on her one day. Detailing is fun but man, it's work!

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I can't stress this enough: if you want to go through the tunnel wash, then DO NOT go to Phil, or David from Street Dreams Detail, or any other "high end" detailer as you'll waste your money.
If you want your car to look like the car featured in this thread for longer than a single wash, then you'll need to do some very specific things to maintain it. If you're not willing or able to do that, then I'd encourage you to not waste your time and money.

Please keep in mind, you're car can still look better than most cars you'll see, and can still be in amazing shape without this type of work being performed. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have the convenience of a clean car a tunnel wash away, and as proof, you'll notice that for 99% of owners, that's more than good enough.

No wax will protect your car from the damage they will inflict. Wax is the least of your problems.

Very true as to the nature of your car being wiped by dirty clothes which will cause tons of swirls in a single use. Most people just don't notice the damage, because what's 1,000 swirls on a car that already has 100,000 swirls?

The problem with touchless washes is they use harsh chemicals in order to clean your car without having physical agitation. This means that a single use will strip your wax or sealant from your paint.
Of course they get around this issue (as do "soft touch" washes as well) by adding "beading agents" into the rinse water. This gives you the illusion you still have protection, because your car is still beading. If you were to take your car home and give her a proper two-bucket wash with properly diluted car wash soap after going to the touchless, you'd notice water laying extremely flat as bare paint does not create enough surface tension to make water bead AKA you'll see you have no protection on your vehicle.

Good points about the touchless wash.. I never realized they used such strong chemicals. I suppose i need to rethink my winter washing mentality.
Would you reconmend a waterless wash lke Adams or Optimum instead? Would there be concern of the products freezing or causing more damage. I did a good wash, sealant and wax in mid november.. but I may have undone all that by going through the touchless wash a few times.. ugh. :(

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
Good points about the touchless wash.. I never realized they used such strong chemicals. I suppose i need to rethink my winter washing mentality.
Would you reconmend a waterless wash lke Adams or Optimum instead? Would there be concern of the products freezing or causing more damage. I did a good wash, sealant and wax in mid november.. but I may have undone all that by going through the touchless wash a few times.. ugh. :(

You likely did, but no fear: your car isn't likely to have any Winter damage in the middle of the outside of a panel anyways. By the time Spring comes (or we get a warm day) give her a wash, clay, and seal/wax and you'll be fine.

I'm the type that simply doesn't wash in the Winter. I'd rather not flush salt water into areas I can't reach.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Just saw this thread, makes my brand new car look like a beater. I'm glad I'm moving from Detroit to PA this weekend or I'd be out $700+ soon :lol:

I feel bad running mine through the crappy washes all of the time, but I feel worse looking at a salty/dirty car.

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
Just saw this thread, makes my brand new car look like a beater. I'm glad I'm moving from Detroit to PA this weekend or I'd be out $700+ soon :lol:

I feel bad running mine through the crappy washes all of the time, but I feel worse looking at a salty/dirty car.

:lol:
Thanks for the kind words and for taking a look. I'm glad this thread has helped so many people to realize that there is a condition that's "better than new" and that it is attainable.

I think it's more important that you have a car you love and enjoy driving than to have a super clean car that you don't. If you ever get tired of the lack of clarity in your paint / b pillars / tail lights and are considering bringing her back to like-new condition, you at least know it's possible if you find the right professional in your area.
If you ever need car care advice, this forum is a wealth of knowledge!

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Menzerna / Meguiars MF (d300...don't really care for d301) are safe choices.

What about PO203 (Power finish) as a first polish?

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-po203.html

I was thinking about getting this, and then after wash, iron x, clay, wash, I would use this polish, followed by whatever you would be kind enough to suggest. I'm all about trying new things since I have only used Klasse and I've only done 3 full details. Also, do you recommend using pads, microfibers, and the like exclusively for one product? I have a friend who said that mixing compounds was bad news, but usually after using a bad I soak it in a really dilute all purpose cleaner, followed by a wash in the machine with Pinnacle microfiber detergent, and then I air dry pads, or dry on low for microfibers.

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
What about PO203 (Power finish) as a first polish?

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-po203.html

I was thinking about getting this, and then after wash, iron x, clay, wash, I would use this polish, followed by whatever you would be kind enough to suggest. I'm all about trying new things since I have only used Klasse and I've only done 3 full details. Also, do you recommend using pads, microfibers, and the like exclusively for one product? I have a friend who said that mixing compounds was bad news, but usually after using a bad I soak it in a really dilute all purpose cleaner, followed by a wash in the machine with Pinnacle microfiber detergent, and then I air dry pads, or dry on low for microfibers.

Sorry for the delay,
203 can work very well as a first step and even as a 1 step polishing product. It has pretty good cut with a nice finishing ability, though has a long work time.

KAIO is a great product, but like other great products; it can only do so much, and many times you'll benefit from having a small arsenal at your disposal.

Mixing pads can be bad if they're contaminated, so I'd recommend thoroughly cleaning them every time to make sure the next use will give you quality consistent results.