GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Two years too late. A tale of my expanding build.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I doubt that I have too much power on you. Im only APR stage 2. I need some better wheels/tires too. Im rocking heavy rep wheels and Nitto Neo gen all seasons.

Ive thought about picking up some lighter 17s and wrapping them with more aggressive tires.
Lighter wheels and sticky tires are certainly nice, but I'd hold off on R-compounds for a few events just because they can be a pretty heavy investment, especially since you'll need camber plates to keep from eating up your sidewalls (something I still need to do). In all honesty, you'll be fine to run your first event with what you have. I ran two events on the heavy ass stock Detroits and still had a blast. Hell, an HPDE in a jankey ass old honda would be fun (maybe not as fun as our cars, but you get the point) so i wouldn't worry too much about your rubber unless it's in poor condition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Lighter wheels and sticky tires are certainly nice, but I'd hold off on R-compounds for a few events just because they can be a pretty heavy investment, especially since you'll need camber plates to keep from eating up your sidewalls (something I still need to do). In all honesty, you'll be fine to run your first event with what you have. I ran two events on the heavy ass stock Detroits and still had a blast. Hell, an HPDE in a jankey ass old honda would be fun (maybe not as fun as our cars, but you get the point) so i wouldn't worry too much about your rubber unless it's in poor condition

I wouldn't go to R-comps anytime soon. Im not to the level that I would need something like that. But I would go to something a bit better. Probably a set of Bridgestone RE-11's or Hankook RS-3s.

Im good on the camber front. If I need more ill just adjust my coilovers.

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I wouldn't go to R-comps anytime soon. Im not to the level that I would need something like that. But I would go to something a bit better. Probably a set of Bridgestone RE-11's or Hankook RS-3s.

Im goon on the camber front. If I need more ill just adjust my coilovers.
Makes sense. I'm actually going to be ordering my camber plates soon since I just got my Christmas/ 4th quarter bonus. Gonna wait until the holidays are over to see how many people give cash for presents, haha.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Bought Vandorins front lip, splitter, and side skirtlets.

I also purchased a vibrant resonator for the exhaust. I need to cut down on the drone. Otherwise the car is the same. I might raise it up some for ride quality and to get it more performance driving oriented.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Installed some parts this weekend. Vandorins oem lip and front splitter. I'll need to get some better photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Installed some parts this weekend. Vandorins oem lip and front splitter. I'll need to get some better photos.

Looking good! Does that lip attach with bolts or screws? I'm looking to build my own soon, and am not 100% sure on how I'm attaching everything

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Looking good! Does that lip attach with bolts or screws? I'm looking to build my own soon, and am not 100% sure on how I'm attaching everything

It's all bolts, locking nuts, and washers.

The three inside holes line up with mounting points for the oem lip. The outside spots we needed to drill ourselves. We then used washers on each side to displace the weight and help stabilize the splitter. Install took 10 minutes.

It was harder putting the bumper back on. So many screws and my mounting tabs are torn up after all the times I have removed it.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
I have a serious question. I like to drive my car pretty hard. But I also like the low look. Im currrently running the stock detroits. But Im looking into new wheels.

How do you fit 18x8.5 et 45 with a car around 24 - 24 1/4ftg? I dont want to run too much camber and wear tires. And id like to keep my 225/40/18 tires for optimal grip.

Am I just asking too much? Or is there a way to make this possible without destroying my car. I already have my front fenders rolled and a minimal pull. Im running ksport coilovers with the rear locking collars maxed out.

This is a quote of you from a wheel fitment thread. I kinda want the same thing, and have the power and handling, and my current wheels are fine. But, looks wise, I want something a bit flashier and can get Avant Garde M230 wheels in 18x8 et45, 18x9 et38 staggered, or square setup in either wheel, BNIB for $740. I need to clear my front brakes too and with the 18x8 I would need to run an 8mm spacer. not sure about the 18x9 yet.

I skimmed through your build thread and surprisingly didn't find specs on your wheel/tire combo? currently running 17x8 et47 Advan Rs with 255/40/17 Hankook evo V12s, but if I can, I'd like to run 235/40/18 Hankook RS3s with the AG wheels. Think this will work for me and what size wheels would you advise? My ftg is 24.75 or I can't get into my parking garage at home (as it is I have to be careful or scrape).

edit: also, I needed -2 degrees of camber and rolled/pulled/fender liner trimmed the fronts and pulled/liner trimmed the rears. Of course, fronts needed ground control camber plates installed for adjustment.

wheel pics (God, love how they look):\ The CW MK6 BS A4 are 18x9 square. Red MK5 is staggered18x8 and 18x9

hmm. This could've been a PM. Lemme know if you want me to delete this post, no worries.

Last edited:

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
This is a quote of you from a wheel fitment thread. I kinda want the same thing, and have the power and handling, and my current wheels are fine. But, looks wise, I want something a bit flashier and can get Avant Garde M230 wheels in 18x8 et45, 18x9 et38 staggered, or square setup in either wheel, BNIB for $740. I need to clear my front brakes too and with the 18x8 I would need to run an 8mm spacer. not sure about the 18x9 yet.

I skimmed through your build thread and surprisingly didn't find specs on your wheel/tire combo? currently running 17x8 et47 Advan Rs with 255/40/17 Hankook evo V12s, but if I can, I'd like to run 235/40/18 Hankook RS3s with the AG wheels. Think this will work for me and what size wheels would you advise? My ftg is 24.75 or I can't get into my parking garage at home (as it is I have to be careful or scrape).

edit: also, I needed -2 degrees of camber and rolled/pulled/fender liner trimmed the fronts and pulled/liner trimmed the rears. Of course, fronts needed ground control camber plates installed for adjustment.

hmm. This could've been a PM. Lemme know if you want me to delete this post, no worries.

No need to delete the post.

My current wheels are an 18x8 Et 42. I run -1 up front and -1.5 degrees in the rear. All my fenders are rolled and I am running the stock 225/40/18 tire size. Ive actually raised the car up some recently and do not know my FTG anymore. I live in an apartment complex and I got frustrated with the speed bumps.

With you moving to an 18 you will likely gain a minimal amount of ground clearance. The 38s will likely have a greater chance of rubbing on the fenders but should clear your brakes. especially if you elect to run the 18x9 wheels.

For the simple cost and ease of fitment I suggest the 18x8 et 45. But if you want a bit better fitment I would run the et38. I just dont see the need for a 9 inch wheel. At that point I bet you will need to run more camber and that isnt something I really agree with.

zrickety

The Fixer
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Don't bother glueing the old headliner, the material underneath continues to fall apart. You'll need new fabric at least. Good luck with the repairs.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Don't bother glueing the old headliner, the material underneath continues to fall apart. You'll need new fabric at least. Good luck with the repairs.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will get some prices on having my headliner redone. Im sure thats going to be another pretty penny. Thankfully its not needed this second.

mamock116

Ready to race!
I too am looking into doing the timing chain tensioner update and carbon cleaning all at once. In Savannah there are not any VW shops other than the dealership.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
I too am looking into doing the timing chain tensioner update and carbon cleaning all at once. In Savannah there are not any VW shops other than the dealership.

Yeah the shops local to me are a bit more difficult to find. Savannah has a slightly better car scene though. I may head to charleston for the job. There are some pretty nice shops around there.