GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unofficial APR Stage 2 Thread- All Things APR Stage 2 Related

allset

Go Kart Champion
first warm humid day in NY above 83 i really feel the power loss in stage 2. looks like i need an intercooler. Im leaning toward forges twintercooler b/c its an easy install i can do myself.

any comments on it vs, s3 or apr? I thnk it more or less adds up to the same volume as the s3.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I just did 365km of tracking today on my APR stage 2 and it I had 0 issues :) Worked very well.

Not sure how long the turbo will last putting it though this kind of abuse though...something i may call APR about. (in terms of tracking where I'm pushing the car very hard for, well as you can see, 365km...which was like 3 tanks of gas if not more haha)

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
first warm humid day in NY above 83 i really feel the power loss in stage 2. looks like i need an intercooler. Im leaning toward forges twintercooler b/c its an easy install i can do myself.

any comments on it vs, s3 or apr? I thnk it more or less adds up to the same volume as the s3.
i had my s3 intercooler installed on a 90+ degree day and i think power delivery is a lot smoother, though there are mixed reactions on how a bigger IC makes more power specially on a stage 2 tune. i think you do need an IC then, whatever it is. i'm straight with stage 2 with an s3 IC but when the modding disease hits me again, if i were to go with a ko4 then i'll just add the forge twintercooler.

dbest6808

Ready to race!

I noticed a lot of drop in power today as well I'm still stage 1. I almost thought I was in stock mode 3rd wasn't really loosing traction like it used to. Humidity really must be a big part of it since I don't think I could of heat soaked that fast. Felt slower from the 1st pull. Cant wait to go stage 2 as soon as the DP and CB finally get delivered.

intense

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

Been on stage 2+ for almost a year now on a mix of concoctions between software and hardware.
- APR Stage 2+ with Milltek motorsports exhaust system + Carbonio + S3 IC

Have tried 100% (h/ware + s/ware) APR stage 2, GIAC mixed, Unitronic etc. Not fair to comment on each of them as each has it's slight differences or advantages.

On power delivery it's bloody good on DSG manual but poor on lower revs as there is lag. Probably contributed by the 100 cel cat from the exhaust. But the positive side, is larger exceleration after the lag.

Reliability seems good as nothing is broken or no CEL (keeping my fingers crossed).

Next step, definitely K04 as craving for more power from the ultimate which is the GTI !

allset

Go Kart Champion
i had my s3 intercooler installed on a 90+ degree day and i think power delivery is a lot smoother, though there are mixed reactions on how a bigger IC makes more power specially on a stage 2 tune. i think you do need an IC then, whatever it is. i'm straight with stage 2 with an s3 IC but when the modding disease hits me again, if i were to go with a ko4 then i'll just add the forge twintercooler.

i dont thuink it gives u more power rather keeps u from losing it to heat soak under hard driving and on hot days completely. I was stock last summer and i diidnt notice such i big difference. I actually ran a scan to be sure something wasnt wrong

I noticed a lot of drop in power today as well I'm still stage 1. I almost thought I was in stock mode 3rd wasn't really loosing traction like it used to. Humidity really must be a big part of it since I don't think I could of heat soaked that fast. Felt slower from the 1st pull. Cant wait to go stage 2 as soon as the DP and CB finally get delivered.

Yeah, it sucks, but everyone says an IC keeps the power. I cant make it through the summer with this much power loss especially after just spending the cash to get to stage 2. ..Mo Money....

what DP and CB u gettin?

allset

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

Been on stage 2+ for almost a year now on a mix of concoctions between software and hardware.
- APR Stage 2+ with Milltek motorsports exhaust system + Carbonio + S3 IC

Have tried 100% (h/ware + s/ware) APR stage 2, GIAC mixed, Unitronic etc. Not fair to comment on each of them as each has it's slight differences or advantages.

On power delivery it's bloody good on DSG manual but poor on lower revs as there is lag. Probably contributed by the 100 cel cat from the exhaust. But the positive side, is larger exceleration after the lag.

Reliability seems good as nothing is broken or no CEL (keeping my fingers crossed).

Next step, definitely K04 as craving for more power from the ultimate which is the GTI !

i know the feeling, but i have to stop at stage 2 :iono: , i want to ge the R in 2 years , so ill have to wait tilll then to taste the K04

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
i know the feeling, but i have to stop at stage 2 :iono: , i want to ge the R in 2 years , so ill have to wait tilll then to taste the K04

This is my plan also but im not waiting 2 years,i'll get it soon as it out

Then alot of stuff will be for sell except the LED tail lights

allset

Go Kart Champion
This is my plan also but im not waiting 2 years,i'll get it soon as it out

Then alot of stuff will be for sell except the LED tail lights

im on a lease until then, gonna buy it out and sell . I guess i could go early. Gonna see what happens in the us with th R first let it wind out for a year then buy if all looks well. Thats the plan any way. Gotta justfy all this fukin money i dumped into the gti somehow.:yikes:lol.

allset

Go Kart Champion
INTERCOOLER VOLUMES

So for my next mod choosing an intercooler, im posting the following combinations of volume for various intercoolers This is rough data, lot of other factors effect how an IC performs, alloys, design, tube/fin- bar/plate etc- this a good start tho. . It gives u some idea on cooling. math was never my strong point but:

Stock Intercooler :16.25" H x 1.26" W x 24.25" L= 496 cubic inches

Forge Twintercooler: 6" H x 2.5" W x 24" L = 360 cubic inches

S3 Intercooler : 16.25" H x 1.58" W x 24.25" L = 622 cubic inches and has approx. 25% more volume over stock

APR Intercooler : 16.25" H x 2.25" W x and 23.2" L = 848 cubic inches and has approx. 71% more volume over stock

Stock IC and Twin IC= 496 + 360= 856 cubic inches and has approx. 73% more volume over stock

S3 Intercooler and Twin IC= 622 + 360 = 982 cubic inches and has approx. 98% more volume over stock

APR Intercooler and Twin IC : 848 + 360 = 1208 cubic inches and has approx. 143% more volume over stock

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
so i guess the best option for me at stage 2 with the stock IC still in would be to add the Forge Twinter

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Just curious, when people say S3 intercooler, is that code like KO3 KO4 kinda thing or is an S3 intercooler because it's designed for an Audi S3?

dbest6808

Ready to race!
Yes its a modified s3 intercooler I believe. AWE sells it modified to fit the GTI. I think Im gonna need one soon getting hot here in NY.

Dude you kinda stole my name lol JK. But my last names Best so I guess I win.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Yes its a modified s3 intercooler I believe. AWE sells it modified to fit the GTI. I think Im gonna need one soon getting hot here in NY.

Dude you kinda stole my name lol JK. But my last names Best so I guess I win.

actually i dont think is modified, i think it bolts right on to the gti same as the S3