GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unofficial APR Stage 2 Thread- All Things APR Stage 2 Related

Clempson13

Ready to race!
its not just volume that affects IC performance. The gaps for airflow, material, finish, and material thickness all play a huge roll in the heat transfer performance.

that being said, similar sized intercoolers can perform vastly different if these aspects are tweaked.

Shinster

Ready to race!
took a major leap and got stage II installed last week at APR headquarters. Very nice facility with nice roads around it for spirited driving so if you're in the area, I definitely recommend going to get the whole experience.

just wanted to chime in and say that it was totally worth every penny but the need for better tires and IC has grown exponentially. I feel like I have a job just for food, shelter, and my GTI lol.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Allset...the stock and s3 are very close, but you also need to remember it has aluminum end tanks, which is huge

right. i wonder if that figures into the measurments they post. i think it does if i remember the schematic, so the tanks are factored into the total volume... im pretty sure.

its not just volume that affects IC performance. The gaps for airflow, material, finish, and material thickness all play a huge roll in the heat transfer performance.

that being said, similar sized intercoolers can perform vastly different if these aspects are tweaked.

absolutely, heat transfer can be defeated by poor design, crappy alloys, on and on. But all of the ones i posted are well know for quality in these areas (I didnt post godspeeds IC / other ebay IC's for instance). and its just a yard stick to give an idea of what u get with each.

LEXSR1

Is it possible to get APR tuned directly to stage 2? I'm hoping to get mine done next weekend and it sounds like stage 2 is what im looking for.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Is it possible to get APR tuned directly to stage 2? I'm hoping to get mine done next weekend and it sounds like stage 2 is what im looking for.

from stock to stage 2, yes but u need the downpipe upgrade then the stage 2 flash

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
what happens if you don't have a down pipe and you get a stage 2 flash? What negative effect would it have?

allset

Go Kart Champion
what happens if you don't have a down pipe and you get a stage 2 flash? What negative effect would it have?

probably damage the turbo b/c the stage 2 flash is designed to deal with the larger Dp and the high flow cat. So the turbo would be boosting 19-20 psi and forcing it thhrough a dense cat and 2.5: pipe. the back pressure would cause all kinds of havoc. i would def not do that.

if u dont have the time or money for the DP go stage 1 u dont need any hardware, its an impressive change from stock.

then go stage 2 when ur bored of 1

allset

Go Kart Champion
what DP is on the left?

CHAP..what type DP is that on the left?

Attachments

• iRy6kl.jpg
    iRy6kl.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 187

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
before u had it did u notice a huge power loss when it was hot out in stage 2?

I noticed it a bit last summer when i was stock, but nothing like the past couple days when its been 85-90

Couldn't say,,,,I had the S3 when i was on stage 1 then 1 month later stage 2

allset

Go Kart Champion
Couldn't say,,,,I had the S3 when i was on stage 1 then 1 month later stage 2

right, its substantial, im pretty shocked about how much weaker the powerband is just from the temps. Ive experiensed it b4 in other turbo cars i had but i guess everything is amplified now including losses and heatsoak.

well illl find out next week...... forge IC should be here tues-wed. They said i got the last one, which is shocking b/c my luck blows and things usually dont work out in my favor.

allset

Go Kart Champion
hey will the sound of a stock catback with apr stage 2+DP sounds remotely like the APR Catback.

i wouldnt think so. the APR cb has RSC - Reflective Sound Cancelling which helps keep drone and other unpleasant sound from occuring by bouncing like frequencies into each other which effectively cancels each other out.- (thats the ghetto science explanation BTW)

but its hard to tell. try and find those two on you tube and compare...not the best way but its something

Last edited:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
right, its substantial, im pretty shocked about how much weaker the powerband is just from the temps. Ive experiensed it b4 in other turbo cars i had but i guess everything is amplified now including losses and heatsoak.

well illl find out next week...... forge IC should be here tues-wed. They said i got the last one, which is shocking b/c my luck blows and things usually dont work out in my favor.

Again another hot and alittle humid day and the car just never stop pulling.Once you put in Forge IC you will smile you ass off.

dbest6808

Ready to race!
Does any one anticipate an issue going APR stage 2 with the AWE Akrapovic combo? I know its not 3 inch dp but I would think it would be ok since AWE has a k04 set up that runs it fine.