GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump leaking issue for 12-14 GTI

ruoyang123

Hi, I am still looking for a 12-14 used GTI, and I am just aware of the water pump leaking issue. After seeing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kaXT7sMRg and reading the comments, I found it is a very common issue for 12-14 models, even for cars with very low mileages. I found many people had their 2nd or even 3rd water pumps before 20k - 30k miles.

I dont mind replace a leaking water pump, but having an endless leaking and replacing another 2 or 3 pumps really make me hesitate to touch the GTI. My question is that so far are there any solutions to fix the water pump leaking permanently? Are there any official recall or permanent solution? Are there any damage to the other parts (e.g., engine) when water is leaking? Thanks!

Last edited:

slowgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the latest OE revision utilizes metal where previous revisions used plastic in the area that tended to leak. Not sure if this solves the problem, but I don't think the design change will hurt. The benefits of owning an mk6 GTI outweigh the risks of having to change a water pump. Just buy the damn thing.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Yes, there is a latest revision but I believe not everyone is entitled to this recall.

I have a 2014 and my first pump failed at 5k miles.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
My fear is that if it keeps leaking no matter how you fix it, will it cause more issues for other parts?
You should always replace a leaking water pump. If you don't you run the risk of overheating your motor if it runs out of coolant while driving. Or you could just buy a 2010 and not worry about it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Just got my 13 back from water pump recall a couple of weeks ago. So there is definitely a recall for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
You should always replace a leaking water pump. If you don't you run the risk of overheating your motor if it runs out of coolant while driving. Or you could just buy a 2010 and not worry about it.

2010s don't have water pump issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I've heard they still do but are not covered. That said, mine is fine at 107k. They may have been more carefully screwed together.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Is the leaking repair covered by the powerstrain warranty?

The warranty is good till 120k miles so no worry i've gotten mine replaced at 30K miles with the warranty and i'm at 47k miles still strong. people with multiple water pump failures after the install of the revision is likely related to improper installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDb7ZQ0tlE