GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Installed an H&R 24mm rear sway bar last night, along with new end links and the sway bar bushings. I got the sway bar for free from my friend who is selling his MKV GLI, all I had to do was put his OEM one on. What a difference it makes, just need new tires now.

I have a 26mm H&R Front sway (brand new) for sale. Would pair great with that RSB!

Deathbyart

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2009 GTI. Just replaced the headliner yesterday. Not super difficult, took 2-3 hours to pull it and same to replace. Give it a shot if it have the time.

It's on my list but I have to wait until it cools down. This heat has been to brutal recently.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
my headliner sags too in the rear around the back dome light. I havent tried to fix it because thats the only place it is and i never notice it.

IAtegeler

Ready to race!
I’m wondering if a good quality window tint would help mitigate the issue. Also keeping the sunroof closed in the summertime when it’s parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No help. I have 5% on the rears and 30% up front and mine is sagging.

Phur

Autocross Champion
What kind of tint do you have? I was thinking ceramic with clear ceramic tinting for the windshield.

My windows were tinted by the previous owner so I’m not sure what’s on there. I know that the sagging took longer to start than my wife’s Jetta and hers has no tint at all.

IAtegeler

Ready to race!
What kind of tint do you have? I was thinking ceramic with clear ceramic tinting for the windshield.

My windows were tinted by the previous owner so I’m not sure what’s on there. I know that the sagging took longer to start than my wife’s Jetta and hers has no tint at all.

I have the 3M color stable. Mine is sagging right at the sunglasses holder. drives me crazy

riceburner

Autocross Champion
(for those who read, my full mods list is on the first page in my signature link)

yesterday we installed a whole slew of fixes and improvements on my car. this is super exciting and one of my best visits to carson's for work performed fromhim and jay.

General problems and grpes I've had about this car from day one:

* Crappy ebay intercooler fitment obstructing fitment of radiator and AC condensor, making everything slop around and radiator fans eating into upper intake pipe.
* Rough idle, very shaky DSG at takeoff/crawling speeds, clanky downshifts, general loss of smooth crispness characteristics that the DSG is worshipped for
* Rough, shaky ride. Lots of harsh bumps, and everythings translated to interior, which to my best efforts to pad and deaden all rattling culprits of the interior just falls short. Again, build quality was supposed to be one of Volkswagens' best characteristics when people talk about them, and I just am not feeling it.
*Subframe clunks/creaks: When we installed the tyrolsport deadset kit, we had to reinstall the subfram afterwards due to an unforseen issue and had to reuse all of the stretch bolts,so I've had subframe creak for over a year now.

Parts used to address issues:
* Neuspeed FMIC & Stock IC Delete kit
* Torque solutions DSG Dogbone mount
* Koni STR.T Street sport strut package
* Passat B6 Aluminum control arms
* * Install powerflex front control arm bushings and swap powerflex anti-lift kit onto the aluminum control arms
*New subframe hardware and all other bolts being touched pretty much

Jay and Carson excel immensely at knowing these cars in and out, and work very efficiently, knowing all bolt sizes, torque specs, and sequencing required for all jobs. Running into issues caused by other car modifications is clearly part of their forte, as nothing ever seems to really slow them down. For instance, my BSH meth pump bracket turned out to be directly inthe way of the longer FMIC outlet hose; they knew exactly what to do to jerry-rig the pump into a new place perfectly to allow clearance.

RESULTS:

So immediately following the installs i of course had to take her out for a test drive and I was blown away at the results.

The DSG INSTANTLY felt a million times better. No vibration at idle at all. Almost ZERO vibrations crawling and no clunks getting into reverse or first, which I was so used to. Engagements are now buttery smooth, and crisp. I wish I had done this mod the day I got the car, because i thought it was just normal wear and tear at this point, and vibrations were just futile, especially with the O34 mounts all around and HPA Puck insert, and DSG Tune. 10/10 recommend to any DSG car.

Intercooler:
Running the stock IC delete kit completely solved my radiator/condensor fitment issues. Obviously neuspeed is a much better IC than the ebay one (Rev9, godspeed, etc) that I had before.

ONE COMMENT/POSSIBLE ISSUE: Following the FMIC, i now hear a ton more boost noise but very different from the intake noise I'm used to hearing. literally sounds like a whistling jet now, with almost a gusty sound to it. Whistles kind of die off when I let off the gas isntead of sounding like it's all going through the diverter valve. Boost appears to hold strong. Can anyone relate to the noise? I'm guessing the IC not being sandwhiched between the other components is now just allowing me to hear the air passing through the core structure much more?

Aluminum control arms:
~2 lbs lighter, much stiffer than the stamped steel, whats not to like? I already 100% loved the antilift kit, which really helps improve straight line stability, but the new control arm bushings helped alot. You would think stiffer bushings = stiffer (harsher) ride, but like the spherical bushings in the back, i have been proven wrong again. The car feels the road how i want it to now, with none of the shaky car drawbacks i used to deal with.

STR.T Struts:
Never really found any good or bad reviews on these, and was originally planning to go with VWR struts, but those are on backorder, so i went with these.
One of my front struts was leaking a bit, not too bad, the others visually looked OK but I'm at 60000 miles now and lowevered for 10/15k of those. Harsh chicago roads definately take a hard toll on a sporty car. These struts made it ride better than ever, I can confidently say these STR.T's are amazing! I'm not a fan of the orange color on my blue springs but i'm just being a stickler here. The ride feels so amazing now. Really no interior rattles to speak of.

Overall, stuper stoked with everything I did here. No longer considering just 'ending it' with this car, it is 900% better to drive now and would recommend everything i did toanyone.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
(for those who read, my full mods list is on the first page in my signature link)

yesterday we installed a whole slew of fixes and improvements on my car. this is super exciting and one of my best visits to carson's for work performed fromhim and jay.

* Crappy ebay intercooler fitment obstructing fitment of radiator and AC condensor, making everything slop around and radiator fans eating into upper intake pipe.
* Rough idle, very shaky DSG at takeoff/crawling speeds, clanky downshifts, general loss of smooth crispness characteristics that the DSG is worshipped for
* Rough, shaky ride. Lots of harsh bumps, and everythings translated to interior, which to my best efforts to pad and deaden all rattling culprits of the interior just falls short. Again, build quality was supposed to be one of Volkswagens' best characteristics when people talk about them, and I just am not feeling it.
*Subframe clunks/creaks: When we installed the tyrolsport deadset kit, we had to reinstall the subfram afterwards due to an unforseen issue and had to reuse all of the stretch bolts,so I've had subframe creak for over a year now.

* * Install powerflex front control arm bushings and swap powerflex anti-lift kit onto the aluminum control arms

Jay and Carson excel immensely at knowing these cars in and out, and work very efficiently, knowing all bolt sizes, torque specs, and sequencing required for all jobs. Running into issues caused by other car modifications is clearly part of their forte, as nothing ever seems to really slow them down. For instance, my BSH meth pump bracket turned out to be directly inthe way of the longer FMIC outlet hose; they knew exactly what to do to jerry-rig the pump into a new place perfectly to allow clearance.

RESULTS:

So immediately following the installs i of course had to take her out for a test drive and I was blown away at the results.

The DSG INSTANTLY felt a million times better. No vibration at idle at all. Almost ZERO vibrations crawling and no clunks getting into reverse or first, which I was so used to. Engagements are now buttery smooth, and crisp. I wish I had done this mod the day I got the car, because i thought it was just normal wear and tear at this point, and vibrations were just futile, especially with the O34 mounts all around and HPA Puck insert, and DSG Tune. 10/10 recommend to any DSG car.

Intercooler:
Running the stock IC delete kit completely solved my radiator/condensor fitment issues. Obviously neuspeed is a much better IC than the ebay one (Rev9, godspeed, etc) that I had before.

ONE COMMENT/POSSIBLE ISSUE: Following the FMIC, i now hear a ton more boost noise but very different from the intake noise I'm used to hearing. literally sounds like a whistling jet now, with almost a gusty sound to it. Whistles kind of die off when I let off the gas isntead of sounding like it's all going through the diverter valve. Boost appears to hold strong. Can anyone relate to the noise? I'm guessing the IC not being sandwhiched between the other components is now just allowing me to hear the air passing through the core structure much more?

Aluminum control arms:
~2 lbs lighter, much stiffer than the stamped steel, whats not to like? I already 100% loved the antilift kit, which really helps improve straight line stability, but the new control arm bushings helped alot. You would think stiffer bushings = stiffer (harsher) ride, but like the spherical bushings in the back, i have been proven wrong again. The car feels the road how i want it to now, with none of the shaky car drawbacks i used to deal with.

STR.T Struts:
Never really found any good or bad reviews on these, and was originally planning to go with VWR struts, but those are on backorder, so i went with these.
One of my front struts was leaking a bit, not too bad, the others visually looked OK but I'm at 60000 miles now and lowevered for 10/15k of those. Harsh chicago roads definately take a hard toll on a sporty car. These struts made it ride better than ever, I can confidently say these STR.T's are amazing! I'm not a fan of the orange color on my blue springs but i'm just being a stickler here. The ride feels so amazing now. Really no interior rattles to speak of.

Overall, stuper stoked with everything I did here. No longer considering just 'ending it' with this car, it is 900% better to drive now and would recommend everything i did toanyone.

You're running a GFB DV so that whistle you're hearing can't/shouldn't be due to that... i'd go with your gut on that until you have a measurable to attribute the whistle to.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

RESULTS:

Intercooler:

Aluminum control arms:

STR.T Struts:

I'm running the ARM fmic (neuspeed knock off lol) and I get a very pronounced whistle under mild-heavy throttle. Been trying to locate the source for a while it's pretty annoying, fuels trims are also a little off (rich, air escaping). I'm going to be switching my neuspeed TOP for the AWE s3 one that extends into the intercooler pipe (eliminates that crappy connector). Hopefully it's just the TOP/IC connector leaking and the noise goes away. I'm going to check all the connectors from turbo to TB again. Shop heard the noise and couldn't find anything wrong, meets requested boost (25psi peak, 16 redline). Definitely a pressure leak somewhere, losing some torque down low.

I agree boost noises are definitely more noticeable with the fmic, car hear it almost at all times w/o stereo on. Especially since I have IE's big ol' open filter intake.

I also had a fizzle noise under heavy throttle/high boost but that went away with a new exhaust manifold gasket and set of studs. It was overlapping with the whistle noise. I love modding this car, such a pain sometimes though.

How much weight saving are the passat arms? I have powerflex front and rear bushings on the stock arms. Probably try to source some Passat spindles next year or whenever I upgrade wheels and brakes + stud conversion.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
The spindles are probably more beneficial as it's either 1.5 or 3 lbs a corner but the control arms are around 2bls lighter I believe.

Thanks for the input! After driving some more yeah I got a little boost fizzle I think so small leak somewhere. Good to hear it is just louder in general with an fmic.

jay745

Removing my other side front strut yesterday was a problem. The nutsert in the 034 strut mount stripped. This has happened on other cars that I've worked on in the past and actually happened to ^ Riceburners car as well the day prior. Most of the time you can put a vice grip on the bottom side to hold it and then it comes out. Mine of course is being stubborn so I am having to cut the mount out. Had to remove the cowl to be able to impact the strut bolt off which allowed me to remove the strut while leaving the strut mount in. Big pain in the ass.

Love these milwaukee tools though.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Removing my other side front strut yesterday was a problem. The nutsert in the 034 strut mount stripped. This has happened on other cars that I've worked on in the past and actually happened to ^ Riceburners car as well the day prior. Most of the time you can put a vice grip on the bottom side to hold it and then it comes out. Mine of course is being stubborn so I am having to cut the mount out. Had to remove the cowl to be able to impact the strut bolt off which allowed me to remove the strut while leaving the strut mount in. Big pain in the ass.

Love these milwaukee tools though.

I remembered when this happened me to me. I also used a drimel to cut the head of the screw so i was able to get it out. such a damn headache

jay745

I remembered when this happened me to me. I also used a drimel to cut the head of the screw so i was able to get it out. such a damn headache

I had to stop yesterday as my garage doesn't have very good lighting and it got dark. Will have to re visit it another day.

Really hoping I can get the car ready and to the alignment shop for a corner balance and setup before aug 18 when I'm hoping to go to Gingerman and dial in the suspension.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Installed hatch button from Double Apex.....