GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

Washed it for the first time in a very long time. Forgot that this thing shines when it is clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I drove it to the dealer and told them to find me a used 2018 golf r. I'm gonna make it happen, one way or another, eventually.

torga

Autocross Champion
I drove it to the dealer and told them to find me a used 2018 golf r. I'm gonna make it happen, one way or another, eventually.

Pretty envious - the Mk7 is something else, even the GTI. Such a power upgrade over the Mk6.
Your Mk7 Golf R is my R32 GT-R. We'll make it happen.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Pretty envious - the Mk7 is something else, even the GTI. Such a power upgrade over the Mk6.
Your Mk7 Golf R is my R32 GT-R. We'll make it happen.

lol, There's just something about the R that pulls me to it. I've been watching a ton of videos on it the last couple days and there's really nothing I can find that I don't like about the car, and so much that I love. Then add in that I've been in love with the R since I got my first gti 12 years ago and drooling over them since...

Right now the 2018 prices are maybe a little high for what I'm looking to pay, and I've decided on this pretty recently so it's not like there's much I can do for a down payment right now. I'll just keep looking, keep saving, and eventually I'll find the right now. They're like 35-38k for a used 2018 right now, and new 2019s are 38-42k, so I'm hoping when the 2020s come out it'll take a couple more grand off the price. If I could find a 2018 that had under 15k miles and was $32k I'd probably sign for it today, but right now that's a little unrealistic. It's not a huge savings from $35k, but I'm just trying to be at least a smarter with my finances over a maybe not so smart purchase.

I still really like my car though. That's why I said maybe not so smart. It's paid off, just under 80k miles, runs awesome, I updated the tensioner and chain on it 5k miles ago, and I put an oem golf r bumper on it just 6 months ago. I'll actually really miss this car if I get rid of it. I was ecstatic when I got rid of my last car, but I think it'll be more bittersweet this time. The only thing that really kills the enjoyment from my mk6 right now is fwd. It would be the perfect car for me if I could just have more fun in the lower gears.

Also I learned today, or maybe it's just my local dealer that does this, but they said they won't do test drives for golf r's. When they sell them the type of people buying them want them to be under 20 miles, or they just won't buy it. Salesmans words, not mine...I think I'm gonna visit the other dealer tomorrow just to give them my name and tell them to keep an eye out for me. They have a used 2017 so I'll check it out and ask for a test drive, but I'm gonna be stubborn here and say it has to be 2018+.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Can get grip in lower gears, with better mounts, tires, etc.

Might be a thing for the R. I know it was the same for the focus RS. No one was allowed to test drive it whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Got some new tires mounted yesterday with alignment (continental dws which replaced pirelli p-zero), car so much smoother now. No longer sounds like a monster truck! Hope to disconnect Soundaktor this weekend sometime to make it even quieter!

I also replaced P-Zero Neros with ExtremeContacts. Soooo much quieter! The way the Pirellis hummed around 20-30 MPH was so annoying. Contis have a lot more grip, too.

Soundaktor delete is a must. It only takes a few minutes, doesn't require any tools, and you can always plug it back in if for some reason you change your mind. I chose to tape a plastic sandwich bag around the harness to help keep crud/corrosion out of the plug.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Ordered a few tools I’ll need to install front camber plates and control arm bushings.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If I could find a 2018 that had under 15k miles and was $32k I'd probably sign for it today

$32k is the going price for a 2016, maybe a 2017.

If I were you though, I'd definitely look for a 2018 or 2019 just for the longer warranty (6yr/72k). And if it's certified, I think it tacks another year onto that.
But you're right...prices are high still, and at that point you might just think about going with a new one.
Maybe find a leftover that the dealer wants to get rid of?

They hold their value very well though, FWIW
(whereas the GTI doesn't very well, in comparison)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
lol, There's just something about the R that pulls me to it. I've been watching a ton of videos on it the last couple days and there's really nothing I can find that I don't like about the car, and so much that I love. Then add in that I've been in love with the R since I got my first gti 12 years ago and drooling over them since...

Right now the 2018 prices are maybe a little high for what I'm looking to pay, and I've decided on this pretty recently so it's not like there's much I can do for a down payment right now. I'll just keep looking, keep saving, and eventually I'll find the right now. They're like 35-38k for a used 2018 right now, and new 2019s are 38-42k, so I'm hoping when the 2020s come out it'll take a couple more grand off the price. If I could find a 2018 that had under 15k miles and was $32k I'd probably sign for it today, but right now that's a little unrealistic. It's not a huge savings from $35k, but I'm just trying to be at least a smarter with my finances over a maybe not so smart purchase.

I still really like my car though. That's why I said maybe not so smart. It's paid off, just under 80k miles, runs awesome, I updated the tensioner and chain on it 5k miles ago, and I put an oem golf r bumper on it just 6 months ago. I'll actually really miss this car if I get rid of it. I was ecstatic when I got rid of my last car, but I think it'll be more bittersweet this time. The only thing that really kills the enjoyment from my mk6 right now is fwd. It would be the perfect car for me if I could just have more fun in the lower gears.

Also I learned today, or maybe it's just my local dealer that does this, but they said they won't do test drives for golf r's. When they sell them the type of people buying them want them to be under 20 miles, or they just won't buy it. Salesmans words, not mine...I think I'm gonna visit the other dealer tomorrow just to give them my name and tell them to keep an eye out for me. They have a used 2017 so I'll check it out and ask for a test drive, but I'm gonna be stubborn here and say it has to be 2018+.

a 2018 Golf R will not have under 20 miles on it. find another dealer.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I also replaced P-Zero Neros with ExtremeContacts. Soooo much quieter! The way the Pirellis hummed around 20-30 MPH was so annoying. Contis have a lot more grip, too.

Soundaktor delete is a must. It only takes a few minutes, doesn't require any tools, and you can always plug it back in if for some reason you change your mind. I chose to tape a plastic sandwich bag around the harness to help keep crud/corrosion out of the plug.

i put duct tape over mine. might go back and bag it like you did.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
$32k is the going price for a 2016, maybe a 2017.

If I were you though, I'd definitely look for a 2018 or 2019 just for the longer warranty (6yr/72k). And if it's certified, I think it tacks another year onto that.
But you're right...prices are high still, and at that point you might just think about going with a new one.
Maybe find a leftover that the dealer wants to get rid of?

They hold their value very well though, FWIW
(whereas the GTI doesn't very well, in comparison)

Yea, I'm being a little unreasonable with what I'm looking for right now. One of the dealers near me has a 2016 with 40k miles for $28.5k, and I've seen a 2017 going for 32k. I don't think it'll be long before 2018s start dropping below $35k. I also found a dealer that does better discounts than most other dealers and they have brand new Rs in the 37k's. Found out a little bit later it's where one of my buddies drove to get his Focus ST because they had the best deal.

a 2018 Golf R will not have under 20 miles on it. find another dealer.

I've never left that dealership totally happy, there's always something that gets to me a little. He was talking about 2019 Rs though, they didn't have any 2018s.

When I was looking for a mk6 to buy years ago I went to their dealership because they told me they had 3 manuals in stock and they'd have one ready for me when I got there to do a test drive. Then I got there and they had no manuals but prepared a dsg for me. C'mon really...I told you on the phone it had to be a manual.

I dunno why dealerships have to be so bad. I work at a boat dealership and we see time and time again that just being honest with people gets a ton of sales. A couple weeks ago I decided I wanted a jetski, so I email our yamaha rep at work about what I should do to get in contact with someone at the yamaha waverunner dealer. My dad owns our dealership and we sell a ton of yamaha outboards, so I was hoping I could get a decent connection that could work up some kind of deal with me. That didn't work out at all though. I got the name of someone at the dealer, so I call them up. The receptionist lady does not want me to speak to the guy whose name I got. She tells me "He's really busy and doesn't have time to get back to you right now, he's just going to have a salesman call you so I can transfer to you a salesman?" I explain my situation assuming I'd get a call back from the guy I asked for. Instead I get a call from one of their salesman and I talk to him for a bit and tell him I'll be in tomorrow about 4:30. The next day at 4:30 I'm there to look at a jetski and he's not really saying much. At some point out of no where he just goes, I'm a shitty salesman. Then a few minutes later he tells me he has to go because his girlfriend is waiting in the car and they share a car. Fuckin really dude? You just told me yesterday you're here open to close every day and now you're just gonna run out after I told you I'd be here? Great connection...That idea is probably dead now, I'd rather have the R.

I always seem to have the weirdest dealership experiences. The local subaru dealer wasn't bothering to spend any time talking to me. I asked for a test drive so they gave me the keys and I went off all by myself. The salesman pulled it out of the parking spot for me, even though he couldn't drive a manual, and then he got out of the car and went back inside.

When I was looking for my first car I stopped at a dealer and got this lady that had to have just moved here from czech or something like that. I told her I was looking for a little car for $10k and then she's just like oh let me show you what we have! Then she takes me to over to freaking dodge nitros. Wtf lady, this is nothing like what I asked for. I was with my buddy and when she went inside to get the keys we ran back to his car and got the hell out of there.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
When I was looking for a mk6 to buy years ago I went to their dealership because they told me they had 3 manuals in stock and they'd have one ready for me when I got there to do a test drive. Then I got there and they had no manuals but prepared a dsg for me. C'mon really...I told you on the phone it had to be a manual.

maybe they thought you said automanual. as if that's a thing.

torga

Autocross Champion
Realized that the Integrated Engineering shifter bracket/bushing kit is simply an OE VW metal bracket and IE's aluminum bushings.
So I found a used OE bracket on eBay for real low cheap and ordered a set of solid bushings.
A $100 IE bracket kit pieced together for $50. Street smarts.