GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I had a shower thought... you know how the mk6 had two different rear brake caliper setups with different diameter rotors?

Is it at all possible that the caliper carrier offset is slightly different between the two by a couple of mm’s? I haven’t shopped for rear hub assemblies so I don’t know if there are different part numbers based on what brakes you have.
I owe you a beer man. That's exactly what the problem is. I just called a dealer parts dept and verified by vin I have 30mm, the part# for these is 32... ughhhhhhh I hope I can source the right ones before thursday. I'm supposed to go to Michigan to a track day leaving Friday morning! UGHHHHHHH

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I owe you a beer man. That's exactly what the problem is. I just called a dealer parts dept and verified by vin I have 30mm, the part# for these is 32... ughhhhhhh I hope I can source the right ones before thursday. I'm supposed to go to Michigan to a track day leaving Friday morning! UGHHHHHHH
Ugh, bummer man. Sorry to be right about that but happy the problem is at least solved.

Maybe a local dealership has them in stock?

Phur

Autocross Champion
Just a tip, when FCP tries to make this right by sending the next part overnight... decline.
In my experience, regular, free shipping = get shit the next day, two days tops. Overnight = you won’t get your shit for about a week.

jay745

Ugh, bummer man. Sorry to be right about that but happy the problem is at least solved.

Maybe a local dealership has them in stock?
I'm so happy I posted here and happy you took a shower today to have that shower thought... This could have ended VERY badly if I tried to go out to the track like that. I'm going to go buy them at a dealer, I don't have time to wait for shipping.
Just a tip, when FCP tries to make this right by sending the next part overnight... decline.
In my experience, regular, free shipping = get shit the next day, two days tops. Overnight = you won’t get your shit for about a week.
Yeah I'm done with FCP. They've screwed me over for the last time. I'm going to tell them I had a track event and couldn't wait and they can refund me.

jay745

Welp. That's confirmed exactly what it was. That is for the help today guys, might have saved my life and my cars life
20200623_201812.jpg

20200623_201900.jpg

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Alright, wanna low key brag about a marginally useful skill I've managed to pick up...

Swapping in the track pads today for Road Atlanta on Friday.... you know those fiddly clips on the front of the stock calipers that you can never quite remember the trick to getting them back on from the last time you touched your pads? I remembered the trick, got them on the first try, each side.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Alright, wanna low key brag about a marginally useful skill I've managed to pick up...

Swapping in the track pads today for Road Atlanta on Friday.... you know those fiddly clips on the front of the stock calipers that you can never quite remember the trick to getting them back on from the last time you touched your pads? I remembered the trick, got them on the first try, each side.

What's da trick??? Lol

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
What's da trick??? Lol
Alright so... insert one side into the hole and get the "flat" part of the clip where it's supposed to go, easy because there's no tension. Then focus on getting the other end started in the hole, and here's the trick: it doesn't have to be in all the way... just enough that it'll hold while you press that side's "flat" piece into position, then the clip will go the rest of the way into the hole.

Where I always screwed up was couldn't remember if you do the second flat part next or the second hole, then if I tried getting the clip into the hole I'd try to get it in all the way and then I couldn't swing the flat part up so I'd sit there and swear at it for a while before getting a hammer, which also never worked.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Alright so... insert one side into the hole and get the "flat" part of the clip where it's supposed to go, easy because there's no tension. Then focus on getting the other end started in the hole, and here's the trick: it doesn't have to be in all the way... just enough that it'll hold while you press that side's "flat" piece into position, then the clip will go the rest of the way into the hole.

Where I always screwed up was couldn't remember if you do the second flat part next or the second hole, then if I tried getting the clip into the hole I'd try to get it in all the way and then I couldn't swing the flat part up so I'd sit there and swear at it for a while before getting a hammer, which also never worked.

True, still tries to pop out sometimes for me. They can be frustrating. These style clips are wayyyy easier.
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 3.09.40 PM.png