GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I beat the absolute shit out of my car today. Show up to meet some people for a fathers day cruise, and it was more of a race than a cruise. There was an S3, an S4, Two S5s (one 4.2 one supercharged V6), and for the first half of it a McLaren 570s. Went down a lot of back roads and averaged 21mpg on a probably 40-50 mile drive and was probably at about 230 degrees for oil temp and dont think the intake temps dropped below 100. The car was amazing though, only chirped the tires once in first but gripped 100% in second, hugged around corners perfectly, and the brakes slowed me down real quick. I'm gonna hopefully figure out my clunking tonight as it's getting worse, but once that is figured out i'll probably take it to some autocrosses and really make use of all the work done to it.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I tested the Brake Assist settings and I think I can articulate the difference between 1 and 2 after switching it back and forth a couple of times. It's basically adjusting the hydraulic pressure curve in relation to pedal position, although it might be taking inputs from elsewhere but I have no way of knowing.

When set to 1, or 'Low', the brake feel is more linear and it ramps up pressure more smoothly. To me, this feels the most natural as I can more easily modulate the brakes at low pedal effort. I'm guessing this is why I was having a difficult time modulating the brakes while trail braking at the track, I couldn't get the fine degree of control I needed at marginal pedal pressure that you need to accurately dial in the right amount of brake to fine tune load transfer at the limit while cornering.

When set to 2, or 'High', you get a lot of brake pressure with very little pedal pressure, very quickly. The effect feels like throwing on a set of Carbotech racing pads, very high initial bite as you begin to lean on the brake pedal.

Depending on your preferences as a driver you may like one over the other. I like 'Low' for the reasons stated above, I like the fine degree of control at partial brake pressure it offers at the expense of immediacy.

What I can't say is if these settings adjust how much ultimate physical pedal pressure is required while at maximum braking. I wasn't really able to test that on the street.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
IMG_3098.JPG

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Guess I'll post here too as a warning for others. I installed FAG rear wheel bearings last night, they are an oem supplier and usually spot on. The fitment with these is not perfect, they stick out about 1-2mm further than oem do. The problem with this is once you bolt the caliper carrier up, the rotor is sticking out further than it should and doesnt sit in the middle of the carrier. My rotor was actually hitting the side of the carrier. Had a brief moment where I was swearing then decided to just put washers in between the carrier and wheel bearing housing. Not ideal but it'll be fine. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-wheel-hub-flange-kit-fag-1t0598611bkit#description

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
What a pain in the arse. Thanks for letting us know.

It seems a lot of parts are now made by different makers in put in the well know trusted companies packaging. Wonder if that is what happened?

torga

Autocross Champion
Wow, good to know. I'm used to anything labeled as "OE" just being cherry.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Guess I'll post here too as a warning for others. I installed FAG rear wheel bearings last night, they are an oem supplier and usually spot on. The fitment with these is not perfect, they stick out about 1-2mm further than oem do. The problem with this is once you bolt the caliper carrier up, the rotor is sticking out further than it should and doesnt sit in the middle of the carrier. My rotor was actually hitting the side of the carrier. Had a brief moment where I was swearing then decided to just put washers in between the carrier and wheel bearing housing. Not ideal but it'll be fine. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-wheel-hub-flange-kit-fag-1t0598611bkit#description
I had a shower thought... you know how the mk6 had two different rear brake caliper setups with different diameter rotors?

Is it at all possible that the caliper carrier offset is slightly different between the two by a couple of mm’s? I haven’t shopped for rear hub assemblies so I don’t know if there are different part numbers based on what brakes you have.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I had a shower thought... you know how the mk6 had two different rear brake caliper setups with different diameter rotors?

Is it at all possible that the caliper carrier offset is slightly different between the two by a couple of mm’s? I haven’t shopped for rear hub assemblies so I don’t know if there are different part numbers based on what brakes you have.

On rock auto it shows two different ones with either a 30 or 32mm bearing ID. 🤔

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Ouch. What a pain indeed. Thanks for sharing.