GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Saabingti

Drag Racing Champion
If a material meets spec for a product designed to last 10 years, then you won't have to replace it in 10 years, assuming it's used properly. That's what "spec" means.
Having to replace something more frequently than stated usually either means improper use, or a knockoff using inferior materials.

One of the maintenance engineers at work sits across the corner from me. More than once we've had this talk: "yeah the machine was designed [read: specced] to use X material on this wear part, but if I can get this machine shop to make me the same part with Y material [read: exceeds spec] we won't have to replace the part nearly as often."

See also: iAbed RMS, aluminum water pumps ;)

torga

Autocross Champion
One of the maintenance engineers at work sits across the corner from me. More than once we've had this talk: "yeah the machine was designed [read: specced] to use X material on this wear part, but if I can get this machine shop to make me the same part with Y material [read: exceeds spec] we won't have to replace the part nearly as often."

See also: iAbed RMS, aluminum water pumps ;)
Ok, but now you're talking about increasing service life by using a part made from a different material.

notovicrious

Drag Racing Champion
Ok, but now you're talking about increasing service life by using a part made from a different material.
& in theory, spending more money which in case a: meeting spec = x and case b: exceeding spec=y, both will work but if improperly used or manufactured poorly, case a will cost more in the long run and whether improperly used or not case b will cost more initially but will withstand said improper use resulting in not spending more money down the line?
(a)x+x+x=z (b)y+x=(y-z)
I suck at math.👨🏼‍🏫

Saabingti

Drag Racing Champion

Sure, but I was talking about that the whole time. Service life of item 1 below is 0.6 yrs, service life of the beyond-spec item 2 is 5 yrs.

Conversely, I could buy something that barely meets spec for $5K and replace it 3 times in 5 years, or I could do a little bit of homework and buy something that exceeds spec for $8K and not need to replace it at all over 5 years :unsure:

==

We could recommend that everyone buys the OEM plastic water pump which is specced for our engine, but we've all seen that by buying the aluminum water pump which exceeds spec people get better results.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
we specify that blue loctite is the way to go.

Engineers: Let's use epoxy to reduce maintenance needs.

vdubnick

Go Kart Champion
sometimes things are designed to fail as a means to save from the more expensive part failing first. gotta think of the big picture before you just start upgrading material because you think it is better. IMO the iAbed is old tech that a lot of people like because they are familiar with it (and not able to figure out the new design), which does not equate to better performance. the updated RMS is better than old tech iabed, and failures are due to improper install.

I stripped out the axle flange bolt when reinstalling my tranny after LSD install... it was my fault for improper use of torque wrench, and luckily the weak point was the bolt threads. So new bolt and i was on my way. Had I try to go over kill, and upgrade the bolt, i would have fucked the LSD and had to disassemble it all. call me crazy, but I put faith into the engineers that spent millions on R&D to develop a successful, reliable product.

Maxey

Ready to race!
Added some cheapo eBay mudflaps to the front. It came with rears, but not sure I'll bother with them as I like the clean look out back, not to mention any stones flung up in rear are only hitting plastic instead of metal as in front. Am dying to hear the engineer's opinions on how the service life of these will compare to the OEM ones. :p

Flap.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Added some cheapo eBay mudflaps to the front. It came with rears, but not sure I'll bother with them as I like the clean look out back, not to mention any stones flung up in rear are only hitting plastic instead of metal as in front. Am dying to hear the engineer's opinions on how the service life of these will compare to the OEM ones. :p

View attachment 217458
Chinese plastic is 3% more rigid than German plastic, so the clear coat on the part of the body that the mudflap touches will wear faster than if you had just bought the super expensive OEM parts. Shame on you 😂

Phur

Autocross Champion

View attachment 217458
The mud flaps will be fine. Your car, however is now liable to spontaneously combust. My sorries. 🥺