GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
PCV breather hose came apart. Thankfully I still had the original one in a box of old parts I was planning on throwing away. The only thing wrong with that one is that the sleeve was tattered. Took the one I bought off and put the old one back on.

The one I purchased from ECS was a brand called Hamburg Tech, so I don't recommend that brand. It popped off on a drive home and I immediately freaked out cause I didn't know what happened. No boost. Came to a stop and car was idling rough and CEL was flashing. Popped the hood and took off the engine cover and it was staring right at me. Popped it back on and everything was fine. Driving home from work 2 days later and it happened again. That's when I put the old one back on with the missing insulated sleeve.

View attachment 255347

Before I realized I still had the old hose, I was looking online for a new one. Maybe Rein or Vaico for the brand. People swear up and down about UroTuning, and they seem like a fine company, but they are missing a lot of random parts I've looked for in the past. They don't have the front breather hose for the MK6. About a year ago when I was fixing up the interior parts of my car that had started to come apart, they didn't have the door trim for a 4 door (only 2 door). They didn't have the center console pieces that surround the shifter and ashtray/coin area. Maybe they just carry more stuff for the newer gen cars. ECS and FCP are my go to. So far no issues with customer service or delivery with ECS. Sure, some things may have taken a little longer with ECS, but not more than maybe a day or 2. I didn't order a new hood strut from FCP and it got to me in 2 days when they promised 5 days, so that was cool.

So... what did I do to my mk6 "today"? Replaced the PCV breather hose with my old one. Changed out the front endlinks. Replaced my hood strut since the old one was no longer holding my hood up.
I had to zip tie mine to stay in place.

smanierre

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Helicoil is installed in the stripped out hole and the bolt threads in... BUT I got a little carried away and didn't realize how fast the drill cut through the aluminum. Overshot the depth of the hole a bit anddddd...

99% sure that hole isn't supposed to be there. I'm assuming that the trans isn't under any sort of pressure inside so i'm just gonna JB weld the shit out of it and monitor and hope it's ok. I really can't believe I did that.
100% USDA Choice fucked threads:

Helicoil installed:

Also got the bolt in for the after-run pump bracket and got that in:

I got my drivers side coilover 90% of the way installed but realized without the spacer there is play between the coilover and camber plate when first compressing the suspension. Sent an email to ground control and posted in the VW Racers fb group so hopefully someone has an answer for me as with the spacer on the top nut can only go on a few threads.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I guess I'll pop the question in here too, is it ok if the top nut on the coilovers is only threaded on like half way as thats all I can get with the spacer. It doesn't seem like it'll really see any load unless the suspension is at full droop aka i'm flying through the air because I suck at driving. The nut itself either has some special threads on it or something as it doesn't spin on easy so I'm not too worried about it backing out at all from vibrations or anything
Also found this pic that shows this person doesn't have the nut threaded on all the way either and no one in the comments made a fuss about it. Granted it's a BMW forum so they're idiots but...

Attachments

• 13109804954_37e7e53c97_b.jpg
    13109804954_37e7e53c97_b.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 28

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
How does this RMS look to y'all?
I just put the new one in, and I'll be honest, I'm pretty nervous that I folded the inner lip or something

20220714_150107.jpg
20220714_150049.jpg

Attachments

• 20220714_145807.jpg
    20220714_145807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220714_150054.jpg
    20220714_150054.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220714_150059.jpg
    20220714_150059.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220714_150102.jpg
    20220714_150102.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I guess I'll pop the question in here too, is it ok if the top nut on the coilovers is only threaded on like half way as thats all I can get with the spacer. It doesn't seem like it'll really see any load unless the suspension is at full droop aka i'm flying through the air because I suck at driving. The nut itself either has some special threads on it or something as it doesn't spin on easy so I'm not too worried about it backing out at all from vibrations or anything
Also found this pic that shows this person doesn't have the nut threaded on all the way either and no one in the comments made a fuss about it. Granted it's a BMW forum so they're idiots but...
That sounds sketchy. I'd contact whoever made the struts and ask their customer support

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yea it should definitely screw on further than that. Is there a way to counter hold the shaft? Maybe you need to compress the spring some. Hard to say with out having it in my hands.
How does this RMS look to y'all?
I just put the new one in, and I'll be honest, I'm pretty nervous that I folded the inner lip or something

View attachment 255372View attachment 255374
Looks alright to me

smanierre

Autocross Champion
That sounds sketchy. I'd contact whoever made the struts and ask their customer support
Yeah i'm gonna be talking to a few people about it to figure out what to do.
Yea it should definitely screw on further than that. Is there a way to counter hold the shaft? Maybe you need to compress the spring some. Hard to say with out having it in my hands.

Looks alright to me
I'm counter holding the shaft, but the nut is hitting the spacer at that point so it won't go any further. Everything is super secure, just seems like the nut should be on there more.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I agree that doesn't look right. I'd grind down both spacers a bit. And against everything I normally say, you want to give those top bolts an ugga with an impact with camber plates. TRUST ME 😂

Edit: ONE ugga, don't send it home to oblivion
Don't have an impact, would a touch of locktite work in place? I don't plan on ever taking them off

smanierre

Autocross Champion