GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the response. I'm running NGK BKR8EIX plugs (APR tune with K04) and learned a long time ago about the need to pull plugs at regular intervals merely to check the gap. I have been surprised at how much the gap has fluctuated over time.
Seriously. I was floored that over ~20k miles my gap went from .32 to about .50… or to .70 on the bad, broken plug. I think I’ll just make this a thing that I do every 10k miles.

I don’t recall the exact part number but I also run (OEM listed on FCP) NGKs.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Seriously. I was floored that over ~20k miles my gap went from .32 to about .50… or to .70 on the bad, broken plug. I think I’ll just make this a thing that I do every 10k miles.

I don’t recall the exact part number but I also run (OEM listed on FCP) NGKs.

Yeah, I change my plugs every year which is way fewer than 10k miles now but track duty is hard. I'm already in there doing my cam follower every season so why not swap plugs while the hood is up. LOL

Buy them from FCP, free replacement and easy 20 minute job (I have to pull my intake rear section to access).

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Ended up being a split 4th injector. Replaced the injector and new seals on the other remaining.
2 weeks later and the damn thing won’t start again. Same symptoms: crank-no start & pissing fuel.

Really need to find a book of matches

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Tuned and air intake/ downpipe that doesn't fit very good. It's hitting something at startup only... I need to get a new tune. Stratified or Sneaky you guys think? Same price...

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Tuned and air intake/ downpipe that doesn't fit very good. It's hitting something at startup only... I need to get a new tune. Stratified or Sneaky you guys think? Same price...
Stratified always did right by me. Haven't had a bad experience with sneeky, but being a one man operation he's definitely been slower with revisions. The sneeky map is hotter too, to the point where I'm not sure whether or not I'm comfortable with his latest revision (5 to 6 degrees timing retard on all cylinders at WOT)

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Stratified always did right by me. Haven't had a bad experience with sneeky, but being a one man operation he's definitely been slower with revisions. The sneeky map is hotter too, to the point where I'm not sure whether or not I'm comfortable with his latest revision (5 to 6 degrees timing retard on all cylinders at WOT)
Enough said, I don’t need it on the ragged edge it’s pretty much just my show/commuter car 🤣

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Took it off the trailer after an awesome track weekend. My student assigned to me was in an 18 M4 and did quite well, had a lot of fun watching his face light up as I showed him what he was doing wrong and got some laps to hook up.

Still need to get under the car and pick the grass out of my undercarriage, took a little mowing trip Sunday second session. LOL Thank God for the AWD. :D

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Detuned to stage 1+ (stage 1 but it's 93oct) and the car feels so much more stable. I don't think I'm going back to stage 2 for a long time, at least until I have a second car. It's less jerky, there's no funny business in the idle (I would get random misses before) and it just feels smoother overall. I'll miss having that extra power to put the hammer down, but I'll live.

Also finally fixed the throttle sensor plug, although idk if I have it backwards or correct. I pulled the replacement plug from one of my spare harnesses, and I'm not sure if the ground is in the correct position. Can someone check this against their own?
PXL_20231019_205740472.jpg

Yes I know this is not an ideal connection, but I didn't want a permanent solution until I knew it was right. Car started right up so I think it is.

Next step, I'm going to get a cat on it for the first time in my ownership 😱 I dearly love the smell of burnt gas, but for the sake of inspection and reliability I'm going to forgo the test pipe for now. I pulled the cat from my 2015 CC before I scrapped it and I think (hope) it'll fit the GTI.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
Detuned to stage 1+ (stage 1 but it's 93oct) and the car feels so much more stable. I don't think I'm going back to stage 2 for a long time, at least until I have a second car. It's less jerky, there's no funny business in the idle (I would get random misses before) and it just feels smoother overall. I'll miss having that extra power to put the hammer down, but I'll live.

Also finally fixed the throttle sensor plug, although idk if I have it backwards or correct. I pulled the replacement plug from one of my spare harnesses, and I'm not sure if the ground is in the correct position. Can someone check this against their own?
View attachment 293737
Yes I know this is not an ideal connection, but I didn't want a permanent solution until I knew it was right. Car started right up so I think it is.

Next step, I'm going to get a cat on it for the first time in my ownership 😱 I dearly love the smell of burnt gas, but for the sake of inspection and reliability I'm going to forgo the test pipe for now. I pulled the cat from my 2015 CC before I scrapped it and I think (hope) it'll fit the GTI.
1 is ECM signal and 2 is to D101.

Edit D101 is Voltage not ground I meant to delete that first part. But missed that because the quote.

Attachments

• iat.png
    iat.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Been having some weird shifting trouble. Clutch engaging inconsistently, gears grinding on up shifts... I was planning to readjust my linkages and bleed my clutch tomorrow, but it just hit me that the clutch stop probably backed out. Sure enough, it was out like three turns.

Had enough problems with that stupid stop, in the trash it goes.

MiteyF

Ready to race!
I picked my car up from the dealership today, after dropping it off over a month ago.

I tried to open my sunroof a month ago, only for it to open about 4", and start clicking. No switch action, nor brute force could get it to close. With a few days of rain coming, I dropped it off at the dealership I bought it from (about 4 months ago) right quick in a hurry.

I'm not one to buy "extended warranties", nor am I the sort to let other people work on my cars/motorcycles. But my wife talked me into it this time, and I'm glad she did.

Over $3k in parts, and 3 whole days of labor ($2k+?), and a month in the shop. Plus 3 weeks of having a loaner car paid for (stay-at-home dad that can't haul the baby on the motorcycle or in the pickup). My 3 year warranty paid for itself today.

I did wash it and start in on the ol' clay bar treatment though. Last time I washed my car, I noticed the whole thing was covered in little tiny black/brown speckles that no amount of washing would remove. I spent a good solid 2-3 hours on JUST the roof with the clay bar. It works wonders, but man is it a PITA. And I though waxing was bad.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Been having some weird shifting trouble. Clutch engaging inconsistently, gears grinding on up shifts... I was planning to readjust my linkages and bleed my clutch tomorrow, but it just hit me that the clutch stop probably backed out. Sure enough, it was out like three turns.

Had enough problems with that stupid stop, in the trash it goes.
The ones that actually thread in are garbage. This one is good, adjust the size by removing/adding washers. So simple and effective
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3147674244...nfJw8ZC0UbYq4bnHg49XF25svQWQTOKBoCzD8QAvD_BwE

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
...Gathering invoices and finalizing a parts list to list my 2dr Candy White up for sale...🥺

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I think my car is just ready to die... more codes this morning...

P0030, P0036, and P0037. One or both of the O2 sensors are bad. I checked voltages and one was at 1.48v which the internet says is too high (I think it was the upstream sensor), so I guess I'm going to change that one and hope that's it.