GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

torga

Autocross Champion
got Insurance quote back for collision repairs.. $4500 for repairs..
they use BASF OEM paint although it's not OEM paint by BASF Glasurit 90-line that i've heard that is what VW uses in production... they do guarantee the work.. and really it's an 8 year old car that had crazy rock chips on the hood that i covered with a wrap so I'm not complaining.
I'm hoping Insurance doesn't write it off.
My state writes off the car if repairs are 80% of the car's value; you might be able to find that information for your state. So if you lived in NM and your car was worth at least $5,625, you'd be in the clear.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
#stonks

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I picked up my GTI from the shop this afternoon. According to the paperwork:

Pre-replacement of chain+tensioner:
62mm intake length, 126mm exh(aust?) to intake cam length
Block 93 of -4.77

Post-replacement:
62mm intake length, 125mm exhaust to intake cam length
Block 93 of -0.09

If I'm understanding the above correctly, the chain was barely stretched so I probably could have just replaced the tensioner and been good. But then again, they were already in there anyway (and there was a newer chain revision), so might as well.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
My state writes off the car if repairs are 80% of the car's value; you might be able to find that information for your state. So if you lived in NM and your car was worth at least $5,625, you'd be in the clear.
Canadian Eh?

I just noticed this forum no longer puts up where we're from..... or do i need to change settings somewhere. No one else is displaying either.

Yes, I have this feeling it'll get written off which will suck cause I know every angle and sound it makes. 8yr old car 300Kms (186K mi).. body/interior/ components were in great running order. No codes, exhaust leak etc... we'll see what happens in the next couple of days.
Driving my buddies '13 GTI that he was going to put up for sale. Leather/6pd/sunroof/2Dr.. no nav, no DynaAudio, no tune, weird noises from front end over every bump, steering wheel vibration at highway speed. Will lift her up and check the tie rod and tie rod ends for play.
It's got KESSY though.. i feel like I'm cheating,. the clutch is a lot smoother to engage than mine but I guess '13 vs '11 and it only has 105Kms (65K mi) on the clock.

If I'm written off I'll prob buy it vs going through the paces of shopping for another unknown GTI with similar set up. Low ball for sure though lol ??

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Canadian Eh?

I just noticed this forum no longer puts up where we're from..... or do i need to change settings somewhere. No one else is displaying either.

Yes, I have this feeling it'll get written off which will suck cause I know every angle and sound it makes. 8yr old car 300Kms (186K mi).. body/interior/ components were in great running order. No codes, exhaust leak etc... we'll see what happens in the next couple of days.
Driving my buddies '13 GTI that he was going to put up for sale. Leather/6pd/sunroof/2Dr.. no nav, no DynaAudio, no tune, weird noises from front end over every bump, steering wheel vibration at highway speed. Will lift her up and check the tie rod and tie rod ends for play.
It's got KESSY though.. i feel like I'm cheating,. the clutch is a lot smoother to engage than mine but I guess '13 vs '11 and it only has 105Kms (65K mi) on the clock.

If I'm written off I'll prob buy it vs going through the paces of shopping for another unknown GTI with similar set up. Low ball for sure though lol ??

That's how I feel about mine. Sure it sounds and feels like it's gonna fall apart, but I know what sounds to ignore and which to be concerned about. At this point, I really can't think of anything that could go wrong I wouldn't be comfortable fixing.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
That's how I feel about mine. Sure it sounds and feels like it's gonna fall apart, but I know what sounds to ignore and which to be concerned about. At this point, I really can't think of anything that could go wrong I wouldn't be comfortable fixing.
EXACTLY!! I know which cars to test vs not even bother...plus I do love the sound of my stock exhaust minus the soundaktor...sigh

BUT...then i spotted a '12 R... fully loaded 6sd...comes with xtra doors though , 205Kms (127K mi) for 10K USD... they have GTI's listed for that much for crying out loud with not too much less mileage... if i get written off I may forgo my buddies GTI and get into the R world.. don't want payments...but who could afford to pass up on that? Should I stay or should i Rrrrrrrrrrrr o_O

GolNat

Autocross Champion

If you hover the mouse over the avatar it tells you location if the user wants it to be displayed.

I'm still adjusting to the new layout ?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
EXACTLY!! I know which cars to test vs not even bother...plus I do love the sound of my stock exhaust minus the soundaktor...sigh

BUT...then i spotted a '12 R... fully loaded 6sd...comes with xtra doors though , 205Kms (127K mi) for 10K USD... they have GTI's listed for that much for crying out loud with not too much less mileage... if i get written off I may forgo my buddies GTI and get into the R world.. don't want payments...but who could afford to pass up on that? Should I stay or should i Rrrrrrrrrrrr o_O

I'm not a fan of FSI motors, mainly because of the cam follower and i'm just not as familiar, besides that an R would be dope.

Ashwarawu

Passed Driver's Ed
Had to order a new key and set an appointment to get reprogrammed. Someone broke into my house and took my spare. Currently parking it with the fuel pump fuse removed in case they come back. I'm not losing the car after all that timing chain work!!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
The first bulge is indeed a cat. You should honestly be able to set readiness without going to these extravagances. I'm k04 with a catted downpipe and CBFA engine. What eventually worked for me after A LOT of experimentation was a Vibrant J spacer on the rear o2 bung (I think the middle size insert although you will have to play around with this for your setup), flashed to stock tune, and drove like a granny (no boost) for 50-60 miles.
Had to order a new key and set an appointment to get reprogrammed. Someone broke into my house and took my spare. Currently parking it with the fuel pump fuse removed in case they come back. I'm not losing the car after all that timing chain work!!
Wait for them and then beat them with the old chain once they show up.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If you hover the mouse over the avatar it tells you location if the user wants it to be displayed.

I'm still adjusting to the new layout ?
Hey thanks for that!! I had no clue.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I'm not a fan of FSI motors, mainly because of the cam follower and i'm just not as familiar, besides that an R would be dope.
I feel the same.. it'll be a bit of an adjustment.. went from FSI in the Passat to the GTI which i loved..

but those hopes as dashed to own a Unicorn anyway.. .Insurance is paying for the repairs. Aftermarket parts though..right down to the headlight. Once the cosmetic stuff is done they'll road test to see if anything else is in need of repair. >>>

AND it was in CSGM, haven't seen that colour frequently. Big note that even though it's being sold at a dealership here's what's on their site
NO HAGGLE PRICING AS IS SPECIAL, certifiy (<< spelling mistake on site) and save, certification not available, what is needed for certification is unknown, financing is not available. This vehicle is being sold “as is,” unfit, not e-tested and is not represented as being in road worthy condition, mechanically sound or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicle may not be fit for use as a means of transportation and may require substantial repairs at the purchaser’s expense. It may not be possible to register the vehicle to be driven in its current condition.”
So, all in all I'll take a pass. I guess i could always bring a mechanic and jack it up, scope, see if it cough's... but i think instead I'm going to see if my 300Km motor is sound enough for K04 :cool::p:unsure:

GolNat

Autocross Champion