GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Focused mainly on the oil cooler mounting today. I had a stroke of genius that saved me a lot of work. Instead of having the bracket behind the crash bar, I realized if I put it in front then I wouldn't have to cut any of it, just drill holes for the bolts. I also trimmed the lower plastic so the cooler sits flush with that now instead of sticking out. The hardest part so far about mounting it is drilling through the crash bar. Brand new drill bit and barely made any progress before it was shot. I'll look for a better one at the store tomorrow, or just buy like 5 or 6 of them unless someones got some tips.
Cut lower plastic:

How the cooler will sit in there:

Not much progress on the drilling:

Got the stress bar installed and tightened back down since i'm done working in the trunk. Also got the plastic piece near the latch back in. it's missing more than half the clips though so if it rattles i'll just pull it out.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Dude, I honestly thought of him when I bought it. He would ask me if I knew that it serves no benefit and that it looks like a good place to eat my lunch on.
Then you should name the mid-wing Joe Mamas Lunch & Lean

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Focused mainly on the oil cooler mounting today. I had a stroke of genius that saved me a lot of work. Instead of having the bracket behind the crash bar, I realized if I put it in front then I wouldn't have to cut any of it, just drill holes for the bolts. I also trimmed the lower plastic so the cooler sits flush with that now instead of sticking out. The hardest part so far about mounting it is drilling through the crash bar. Brand new drill bit and barely made any progress before it was shot. I'll look for a better one at the store tomorrow, or just buy like 5 or 6 of them unless someones got some tips.
Cut lower plastic:

How the cooler will sit in there:

Not much progress on the drilling:

Got the stress bar installed and tightened back down since i'm done working in the trunk. Also got the plastic piece near the latch back in. it's missing more than half the clips though so if it rattles i'll just pull it out.
I used Masonry bit to drill the crash bar for my intercooler. Cobalt and titanium bits didn't make a dent, masonry bit was through it in 2 minutes

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I used Masonry bit to drill the crash bar for my intercooler. Cobalt and titanium bits didn't make a dent, masonry bit was through it in 2 minutes
Gonna go out and get one tomorrow. What speed did you use? Also any cutting oil?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Buy a good drill bit for steel. Speed depends on size of hole (material we know is steel). I’d probably start off with a 1/8” bit then step it up but depends on how big the final hole is. Yes use cutting oil, makes a big difference.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Gonna go out and get one tomorrow. What speed did you use? Also any cutting oil?
I didn't use any cutting oil on the masonry bit. I just went slow speed with moderate pressure. I'm sure there's a better way to do it but it got the job done

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Smell that? Smells like progress and body odor. Went out to Lowe's and grabbed a carbide tipped mason bit and was able to get the holes drilled. Still took about 10 min per hole, but I was probably going a bit slower than necessary, the cutting oil definitely seemed to help. After getting those bolts mounted I decided it was secure enough where I didn't need the bolts on the plastic below. For now it's not going to be hooked up since I didn't get the proper sized adapters in yet for the oil filter side, but that shouldn't take long once I get the car back.

I tested out my oil temp sensor by using my heat gun to heat up the block the sensor is in and it seems to be working properly. Gonna see if the pressure sensor works when I crank it for the first time with no fuel to build up the pressure.

Got my front clip on and friendly reminder to NOT forget to attach the hood release, or you're in for a bad time.

Got the headlights hooked up and tested out the low beams. Everything seems good with them, so I think that rusty bolt and a bad ground was causing the flickering I was seeing, will know for sure once the engine is started.

Since I moved the battery to the trunk, I had no need for the battery tray anymore. Luckily I saved it though because the intake shield mounts to the rubber grommets on the front of the tray. I was able to just cut off all but those parts that way the intake still mounts properly without taking up space or looking bad over the MC brace. Also highly recommend the dremel oscillating tool, makes cutting through plastic and other things super easy.

Everything looking pretty good. Only things not plugged in are the fog and side marker lights since the bumper isn't on. I may need to adjust the charge pipe as it's got only a few mm of clearance from the rad fans, but i'll see after the first startup if it's rubbing or not.

Next stop once I drain the trans and get the wheels on is the shop to get the exhaust manifold made, notch filled, and an alignment done.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Just heard back from the shop and I won't be able to bring it down until week after next 😒. At least i'll have time to go over stuff again and get everything sorted so that right when it's back I can hopefully have it started in a few days.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Today I picked up the car after having a K04 hybrid turbo installed (HPA kit). Also had them slap a neuspeed intercooler outlet pipe on there to remove that restriction. Wanted them to put the neuspeed turbo outlet pipe for K04 in but the coupler just did not quite fit over the metal. so the pancake pipe remains until i get a couple that fits.

This was brought on by a failed wastegate on the stock IHI/K03 at 143xxx miles. I was told that the wastegate was toast, and that the gasket on the turbo was cracked. I guess the hanger bracket for the exhaust was also all fucked up so they hooked me up with a new but modified hanger bracket from the MQB platform to that the exhaust hangs a little lower to help with the turbo fitment. the heat shield by the fire wall had seen better days so they hooked me up with a new one of those as well. i was honestly thinking of removing it and painting it black since it was rusty.

Thanks going out to my buddy Dan for the install and to my friends at Urotuning for helping me navigate the finer points of ordering what i wanted.

I have an European S3 intercooler coming in to go with all of this, that arrives monday. With all this I can finally justify a protune. I also had bought a PTP k04 turbo blanket to go on but I guess install of that was gonna be sketchy once the lines on the turbo were in place. might sell it. might try to put it on anyway. On the drive home i babied it because i know the turbo needs special tuning to work to capacity. but i did hit 19.3psi and no signs of boost/vacuum leaks yet.

is..... is this.... stage 3? i think i'll be calling it 2+ for a while...

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Today I picked up the car after having a K04 hybrid turbo installed (HPA kit). Also had them slap a neuspeed intercooler outlet pipe on there to remove that restriction. Wanted them to put the neuspeed turbo outlet pipe for K04 in but the coupler just did not quite fit over the metal. so the pancake pipe remains until i get a couple that fits.

This was brought on by a failed wastegate on the stock IHI/K03 at 143xxx miles. I was told that the wastegate was toast, and that the gasket on the turbo was cracked. I guess the hanger bracket for the exhaust was also all fucked up so they hooked me up with a new but modified hanger bracket from the MQB platform to that the exhaust hangs a little lower to help with the turbo fitment. the heat shield by the fire wall had seen better days so they hooked me up with a new one of those as well. i was honestly thinking of removing it and painting it black since it was rusty.

Thanks going out to my buddy Dan for the install and to my friends at Urotuning for helping me navigate the finer points of ordering what i wanted.

I have an European S3 intercooler coming in to go with all of this, that arrives monday. With all this I can finally justify a protune. I also had bought a PTP k04 turbo blanket to go on but I guess install of that was gonna be sketchy once the lines on the turbo were in place. might sell it. might try to put it on anyway. On the drive home i babied it because i know the turbo needs special tuning to work to capacity. but i did hit 19.3psi and no signs of boost/vacuum leaks yet.

is..... is this.... stage 3? i think i'll be calling it 2+ for a while...
Hate to be a Debbie downer but I don't think k04 qualifies as stage 3, definitely 2+ tho

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Depends on the tune but I don’t think any consider K04 stage 3, 2+ typically.

That being said I don’t tell people it’s stage 2+, I usually just say bolt on’s and a tune unless they have a VAG product then I tell them it’s K04.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Depends on the tune but I don’t think any consider K04 stage 3, 2+ typically.

That being said I don’t tell people it’s stage 2+, I usually just say bolt on’s and a tune unless they have a VAG product then I tell them it’s K04.
This is the way