GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Generation GTI Reigns Supreme?

zrickety

The Fixer
Well, let's not forget the mk6's better dampers/ springs/ sways, electronic lsd, and the cam-follower-less TSI motor..

I've owned both. The mk5 opened my eyes
Me too. All the things you mention were the same on the mk5 in mid 2008. I had an 09 GTI and aside from the ABS fault it was perfect.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Rofl, I put an extra large cup from taco bell in the cup holder once. Then immediately after leaving the parking lot I punched it...Yea, that ended up all over this girls lap and she wasn't happy.

It's not even the risk of cups falling out, but the condensation that builds up on the cold drinks and begins to drip all over the electronics below. Terrible.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Yup, had that problem too. Some of the buttons on my climatronic were fucked. I could never change the air speed.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Did they skip an entire segment about the 6?

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!
I personally am biased towards the mk6 because I own one, I love the LED headlights on the mk6 over every other headlight that has been offered but I have a huge soft spot for a mk2 with a vr6 swap

mamock116

Ready to race!
I may be crazy but I have always loved the MK4's. It is what started me into my love of VW's. The 337 and the 20th AE are so sexy to this day for me.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I Have owned a mk3, mk5 and mk6 and the Mk3 will always hold a soft spot for me. Had it 6 years and other then floor and hatch rust it was bulletproof. Never had any issues.

It went from a 8v to a 16v turbo and then it was ran over by an oil truck :(
Then came the mk5.

Now i think the Mk5 felt more expensive but buttons wore out. I liked the FSI motor but having to change the cam follow every other oil change got old.

Then had a kid and then i bought a 4 door Mk6. so far my favorite but with low miles i have had 2 water pumps go, sub frame creeks, Fuel pump died and the throw out bearing being noisy. (replaced with RSR clutch)

So i would have to say my order Best to worst:

1: Mk3
2: Mk6
3: Mk5
4: Mk2
5: Mk7
6: Mk1
7: Mk4

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I may be crazy but I have always loved the MK4's. It is what started me into my love of VW's. The 337 and the 20th AE are so sexy to this day for me.
The mk4 is one of my favorites. I think this guy just hated on it because it had zero design cues to differentiate it from the standard golf. That doesn't bother me in the least as I like sleepers. He is kinda right but I think he placed waaaaaaay to much weight on that IMO.

I think I agree that the mk5 is up there. I like the looks. It was revolutionary with the DSG. The honey comb grill with the red grin and bi-xenon headlights is tight. I prefer the front end of the mk5 to the mk6 but prefer the mk6 rear-end over any gen. Mk6 has a sweet ass.

He really only dinged the mk7 because it is too easy to drive.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Bc #thishoeaintloyal, i'm gonna go with the MK7. I like nice new things, maybe you can call me a sheepish american consumer.

If anyone calls the 7 anything less than a "revolution" from the 6, they simply don't know what they're talking about :)

More reliable, responds even better to tuning, gets even better gas mileage, weighs less, rides smoother while performing better (non-PP as well as PP, and non-DCC as well as DCC), (i'm gonna get flak for this one) more "features," is more Audi than any previous GTI has ever been.

Complaints: absolute travesty LP doesn't come with LED tails, cloth only available on base model, doesn't look as good from behind as the mk6 (miss my '12 SB's booty shot)

Last edited:

Lupin

Ready to race!
The mk6 is rarely discussed in car comparisons and car videos. In some sense it is a reskined mk5 and why waste everyone's time on the mk6 review when there is one for the mk5 already. haven't said that, the mk6 looks far better with superior interior and bullet proof motor. The mk6 is like a luxury version of the mk5.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
One thing I wish VW never dropped is the 10x100 on the tach instead of 1x1000. I'm a bit of a hipster so the uniqueness is just cool to me :)

Cyrok

Passed Driver's Ed
The mk6 is rarely discussed in car comparisons and car videos. In some sense it is a reskined mk5 and why waste everyone's time on the mk6 review when there is one for the mk5 already. haven't said that, the mk6 looks far better with superior interior and bullet proof motor. The mk6 is like a luxury version of the mk5.
Agreed! I loved my 20th mk4, when I sold it ( I still regret it to this day) the mk5 wasn't doing much for me, ie the headlights and tail lights were ugly to me, it didn't look sporty at least to me.
After driving the mk7 the chassis feels so much more lively so I think they did a great job improving the 6.
The exterior is definitely a reason why I still love my 6 after 2.5 years though...[emoji106]

And I haven't tuned it yet... [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
There's just way too many things on the mk5 that I don't like, it has to go at the very bottom of my list. The rear bumper has way too much plastic and it's carried way too high. Even if you get rid of the plastic you still have a line going through the middle of the bumper. Then also I hate the tail lights and the side rub strips. I don't think I like anything on the front bumper either, especially that massive black hole right in the center.

Then I saw the mk6 and they fixed everything I hated about the mk5 and fell in love.

I'd have to put the mk3 just above the mk5. I don't dislike them, it just doesn't do anything for me.

The mk1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 I really really like though.

Last edited:

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
The superior vehicle is the mk7. If I had to rate which one I liked based off paper and aesthetics, then it would go:

mk7
mk2
mk6
mk5, mk4, and mk1
mk3