GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Run the Nokian Hakkapellita R2 on both my car and my wife's CX-5. Pretty much made my wife's car feel unstoppable here in Chicago...Ground clearance was my only issue. I used her 4 wheel drive to flatten the alley for my GTI. Could not recommend more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Hakkas are in a league of their own. Surprised more people don't run them. They are a little to "focused" for where I live.

Variant1

Hi, few words about Nokian tyres...I live in Finland and yes, they are designed and made in here. Nokian tyres has huge test center in Ivalo, here some info about that: http://www.nokiantires.com/innovation/testing/ivalo-testing-center/

I got now Hakkapeliitta R2 and i like them a lot. Previoiusly i had Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tires, but last winter i wanted to try how i manage with studdless tires. In most cases in winter time studdless tires are as good as studded tires, but if you drive on icy roads then the studded is the best. And on dry asphalt studdless in much better than studded. So, it depends where do you drive which is the best winter tire for you. Studded tires are of course more noisy than studdless. I live in South Finland so studdless are quite good for me. I think the most important winter safety equipment is sitting between steering wheel and the drivers seat.

I have read some Finnish tiretests and new Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 won the studded category and R2 won the studdless category. On my opinion other good winter tire is Continental, they use finnish studds in their IceContact 2.

Shax

Passed Driver's Ed
Running Falken Eurowinter HS449s this year again. I wasn't super blown away by their performance last year but I guess we will see how they go. My last setup was Winter Sottozero 3s and they also didn't really impress me. If I still have this car by the time I need another set of winters I will try some Hakkapeliitta 8s or R2s. It's a shame you can't buy Nokian tires online in NA anymore.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Any good snow tires for 225/40/18?

I live in West Chester, PA.

There are budget options too.

DiscountTireDirect.com has the GT WinterPro for only $80/each, which = $320 SHIPPED for a set
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...do&fl=w&pc=17015&counter=0&ar=40&rd=18&cs=225

Or you can get Falken EuroWinter tires right now for $328 SHIPPED for a set on ebay from DiscountTireDirect, after the $100 coupon ($428-$100 = $328)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-225-4...ash=item2ca24d476e:g:kvkAAOSwhcJWHtkm&vxp=mtr

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Thoughts on doing 235/40/18 for MK7 GTI PP, Yes I am sticking with 18" Austin wheels for winter because of the huge brakes.

I was thinking maybe 235/40/18 for more protection against the rim.

Or stick with 225?

zrickety

The Fixer
Narrow for snows, 225 or even less.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
From what I understand a 17" wheel will clear the brakes on a MK7 PP. Narrow is better for snow & ice.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Thoughts on doing 235/40/18 for MK7 GTI PP, Yes I am sticking with 18" Austin wheels for winter because of the huge brakes.

I was thinking maybe 235/40/18 for more protection against the rim.

Or stick with 225?

IMO, 225/40R18 or 235/40R18 + cost to mount/balance are expensive enough that if you spend a little more you can get 205/50R17 or 225/45R17 with some Sport Edition Wheels.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
I am playing it safe with the 18" than risking with the 17". I personally tried the 17" on my GTI, too risky.

zrickety

The Fixer
Lol nothing wrong with a 17" you just get more sidewall.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Snow tires are flexible by nature. A taller sidewall doesn't hurt a thing & is even more resistant to pot hole damage.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
I am playing it safe with the 18" than risking with the 17". I personally tried the 17" on my GTI, too risky.

What do you mean by risky? I run 16" snow tires on steel rims no problem. Actually more safe for the winter than an 18" setup since its also a narrower tire.