GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
What material is the oem Euro lip made from? Trying to figure out the best way to strip paint off of one without damaging it.

it is polypropylene, i believe.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Gonna be leaving my car outside for the winter since I don't have anywhere indoors to keep it. Anyone have a recommendation for a good cover to toss over it for a bit of protection?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Gonna be leaving my car outside for the winter since I don't have anywhere indoors to keep it. Anyone have a recommendation for a good cover to toss over it for a bit of protection?

I was thinking of doing this but I'm concerned that the contact will leave a weird mark on the paint from moisture.

Still thinking I can find storage for decent coin... holding out hope

smanierre

Autocross Champion
We used to have a massive garage that I would easily be able to leave it in and it would never see a flake of snow, but of course, right when I get a car i'm actually gonna build and care about we get rid of it. I was thinking maybe get some sort of paint safe buffer that would prevent the cover from touching the car itself. Like a stand that has a base that is fine on the paint and holds the cover up.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Snow wont ruin the car. Neither will water. If you park out of salt's way, then it should be fine imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Alright, I guess I'll find out. Hopefully getting it wrapped in the spring too so that will hide anything that may occur

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
I recommend a sealant over wax if you are looking for protection. They are longer lasting. I make sure mine has a fresh coat of sealant every fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
I just had a new weapon against winter salt delivered today...

No longer will I have to fight a frozen hose.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Indeed...
[emoji57]

Phur

Autocross Champion
After reassessing what I had written, I see that it could be interpreted as “put on wax, then put on sealant.” I meant sealant instead of wax for the purpose of protection. A sealant with a coat of wax layered on top of it will provide both the protection from the sealant and the visual appeal of the wax.

I don’t remember what kind it was now, but I remember seeing something on YouTube, possibly on the rag company channel, there is one specific sealant/wax combination that gets installed in the opposite order. The sealant somehow goes through the layer of wax to bond to the clear coat underneath. It was pretty wild. In other words...

“Yeah, Science Bitch!”
-Jesse Pinkman

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I just had a new weapon against winter salt delivered today...

No longer will I have to fight a frozen hose.

I bought optimum no rinse a year or 2 ago..still havent used it. Should probably give it a go, i wasnt sure if it was a product youd want to use with salt on the car.

#i fear change #traditional washes only
After reassessing what I had written, I see that it could be interpreted as “put on wax, then put on sealant.” I meant sealant instead of wax for the purpose of protection. A sealant with a coat of wax layered on top of it will provide both the protection from the sealant and the visual appeal of the wax.

I don’t remember what kind it was now, but I remember seeing something on YouTube, possibly on the rag company channel, there is one specific sealant/wax combination that gets installed in the opposite order. The sealant somehow goes through the layer of wax to bond to the clear coat underneath. It was pretty wild. In other words...

“Yeah, Science Bitch!”
-Jesse Pinkman

breaking bad ftw

Phur

Autocross Champion
I washed the car yesterday using the ONR. I am totally sold. It feels odd that it is not foamy at all, but the lubricity is legit. This product is going to totally change my game.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I used ONR today to clean all the smutz off my car. It works so well. The version I use is blue & not green. No wax in it other than what they use in it is supposed to leave a protective layer behind. I have a gallon of Prima Hydro so I'll keep spritzing with it after the washes.

If your car is really dirty I don't think ONR is the right way. When mine is really bad I go to the local touchless wash to get most of the crud off & once home I wash it again with ONR. No marked up paint for me.