GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

jeez

Ready to race!
I've lived through that, had to do my rear main seal because of oil leaks from failed PCV. Not a fun bill.

Yah! And as it is I've spent enough money on the car. I've also done the updated tensioner to avoid pistons and valves saying hello up close. That's another big one, you probably know this.

anyone have experience with an HPA k04 stratified tune?

I do, I'm actually the first one to get a K04 tune. It's almost been a year since I started tuning, no joke, but it's partly be cause of hardware. The one thing that definitely delayed stuff was my wastegate which was giving in at around 21 PSI, took us a little bit of time to figure it out. There's others that had the same turbo but their wastegate was fine. So it's a toss. Now, I'm troubleshooting limp mode and a whoosing/whistling sound, not sure what that is but I'm hoping it's not the turbo itself leaking. I'm replacing my PCV on the weekend hopefully to see if that's it..and I'm really praying that it is cause then it's going to be between the turbo or the tune. I've been told by separate shops I don't have a leak (about 3 separate times)...so I just have to figure this out by process of elimination. They did say the sound could be something the turbo has developed and could be nothing to worry about.

The car pulls though. Especially when it's cold, it pulls like a freight train. I've had tuned Mk6 R guy tell me it's pulling really well. He's a mechanic and he's got a balls out tuned R at 30+ PSI from Integrated Engineering. He said it's as fast as his. I would hope it's faster.

We'll see.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Yah! And as it is I've spent enough money on the car. I've also done the updated tensioner to avoid pistons and valves saying hello up close. That's another big one, you probably know this.

I do, I'm actually the first one to get a K04 tune. It's almost been a year since I started tuning, no joke, but it's partly be cause of hardware. The one thing that definitely delayed stuff was my wastegate which was giving in at around 21 PSI, took us a little bit of time to figure it out. There's others that had the same turbo but their wastegate was fine. So it's a toss. Now, I'm troubleshooting limp mode and a whoosing/whistling sound, not sure what that is but I'm hoping it's not the turbo itself leaking. I'm replacing my PCV on the weekend hopefully to see if that's it..and I'm really praying that it is cause then it's going to be between the turbo or the tune. I've been told by separate shops I don't have a leak (about 3 separate times)...so I just have to figure this out by process of elimination. They did say the sound could be something the turbo has developed and could be nothing to worry about.

The car pulls though. Especially when it's cold, it pulls like a freight train. I've had tuned Mk6 R guy tell me it's pulling really well. He's a mechanic and he's got a balls out tuned R at 30+ PSI from Integrated Engineering. He said it's as fast as his. I would hope it's faster.

We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully that doesnt happen to me and it honestly sounds like maybe that just the way your turbo sounds, let us know if you ever figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laimface

Ready to race!
Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully that doesnt happen to me and it honestly sounds like maybe that just the way your turbo sounds, let us know if you ever figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wooshing and whistling then into EPC limp mode? I had that for a while, was overboosting / compressor surge when rolling on or off the throttle. For some reason clearing fault codes would make it go away for a month and it would come back. Maybe the ecu is learning bad habits over time?

zef

Drag Racing Champion

We'll see.

I'm dealing with an occasional limp mode with stratified as well. P1335. Confirmed no boost leaks, it usually only happens when going uphill in a low gear. I swapped out my wastegate for a forge unit since I've heard HPA folks have had issues with theirs. Pretty sure it's a tune issue, turbo is brand new. Hopefully will have an updated file soon since it's been about a week.

Worst case there are a couple good cobb pro tuners in my area that can dial this in for me.

lleron

Ready to race!
Wooshing and whistling then into EPC limp mode? I had that for a while, was overboosting / compressor surge when rolling on or off the throttle. For some reason clearing fault codes would make it go away for a month and it would come back. Maybe the ecu is learning bad habits over time?

I had the same problem, and still have the "whooshing", though it no longer goes into limp mode (with an APR K04, I'm on tune rev#8). If you look at the logs you can see that the APP vs ETC aggressively cut the throttle upon takeoff when it starts overboosting resulting in the whoosh noise. It's honestly quite frustrating to drive in traffic, though I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with it.

You can at least see what my car is occasionally doing here, the part throttle boost control seems to be very inconsistent in first and second gear overall making the car very "surgey":

https://datazap.me/u/lleron/3-28-18-drive-work-v17-3rd-wot-rest?log=1&data=3-4-8-21&zoom=5868-5952

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I had the same problem, and still have the "whooshing", though it no longer goes into limp mode (with an APR K04, I'm on tune rev#8). If you look at the logs you can see that the APP vs ETC aggressively cut the throttle upon takeoff when it starts overboosting resulting in the whoosh noise. It's honestly quite frustrating to drive in traffic, though I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with it.

You can at least see what my car is occasionally doing here, the part throttle boost control seems to be very inconsistent in first and second gear overall making the car very "surgey":

https://datazap.me/u/lleron/3-28-18-drive-work-v17-3rd-wot-rest?log=1&data=3-4-8-21&zoom=5868-5952

Yikes, 8 tune revisions and you're still having limp mode issues?

Might be making that call to a local cobb pro tuner sooner than I thought..

LOL STRATIFIED GOT NO ISSUES

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
LOL STRATIFIED GOT NO ISSUES

For stock turbo applications, that appears to be largely true. Once you're into other turbos and wastegate actuators, all bets are off IMO.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've been running a crackle tune for about a year now, so just for the fun of it I decided I'd turn them off and see what it was like again. It didn't last long...I drove it once and then turned the crackles back on. Just feels like something is missing without them.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I've been running a crackle tune for about a year now, so just for the fun of it I decided I'd turn them off and see what it was like again. It didn't last long...I drove it once and then turned the crackles back on. Just feels like something is missing without them.

you can turn them off? legit i dont know how any of these cobb/ stratified tunes work

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
you can turn them off? legit i dont know how any of these cobb/ stratified tunes work

If you pay for crackles they send you 2 tunes. One with the crackles, and one without. It's the same tune other than that.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
COBB Stage 1+ Stratified tune running lean

Took it to the dealer. For $390 they:

Performed GFF found faults for system too lean at idle.
Performed test plan mass air flow, tested ok.
Checked for leaks, no leaks found.
​MBV in within spec.
Replaced the crank case breather valve.
Cleared faults.
Rechecked MBV for mass air flow 2.8 at idle.

The hitching I felt at certain rpms, the rev hangs, all of the drivability issues seemed to be resolved on 30 minute drive home.

I'll send in my latest logfile to Stratified and see what they say.

Hoping this does the trick. I can also see going with 91 octane map, there is periodic knocking.

Dave

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Replaced the crank case breather valve.

That was 100% of it. PCV valve failures have very non-specific driveability symptoms, it can be pretty infuriating.