GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mishimoto MK6 Intercooler R&D Thread

Mishimoto

Ready to race!
Hey Guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto to announce that we've started working on a new performance intercooler for the MK6 platform!

I'll be here to guide you through the development and testing of our new intercooler. Feel free to shoot me any comments, questions, or concerns you might have!

-Nick

smanierre

Autocross Champion
How much power are you aiming for this intercooler to handle? Stock location or front mount?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The MK6 market is pretty saturated with intercooler options already. Now if you guys made a radiator and fan shrouds, that would be awesome, since most can't afford the TyrolSport and that's pretty much the only option for this platform. Guys who track these cars suffer from coolant temps since beefier aftermarket intercoolers tend to restrict the amount of air the radiator gets.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I agree with others, a affordable radiator would be awesome. The Intercooler market for this car is really saturated. I'd make a fmic, most of the current options are stock location.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I agree with others, a affordable radiator would be awesome. The Intercooler market for this car is really saturated. I'd make a fmic, most of the current options are stock location.

They’re stock location because if you have a front mount your radiator will struggle without that air flow. Hence the reason of making a stock location one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
They’re stock location because if you have a front mount your radiator will struggle without that air flow. Hence the reason of making a stock location one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really ain't about stock location vs front mount. They simply asked for suggestions/questions. There are less fmic options, which is why I suggested a fmic for a over saturated market. I'd love to see a well implemented stacked design that provided flow to both but I doubt anyone is gonna develop that given the age of the platform. We have a pretty packed engine bay, gonna be space/flow constraints somewhere.

I've been running a fmic here in Texas for a while now, deleted the stock intercooler haven't seen any cooling issues. Probably would on the track, but idk.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Stacked is a terrible design and just the very cheap way out. More flow but it's not good for temps.

I said well implemented lol, I know it rarely works.

I think CSF made a combo radiator/oil cooler for some platform, but that's totally different.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
It would be great if it was affordable. The intercoolers for these cars are ridiculous costing around $1000 for a "known" brand. For the people like myself and others we'd rather spend $300 on a eBay Rev9 intercooler. Hopefully yours has a reasonable price!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Stacked is a terrible design and just the very cheap way out. More flow but it's not good for temps.

By stacked do you mean how it comes stock with the intercooler in the middle?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
It would be great if it was affordable. The intercoolers for these cars are ridiculous costing around $1000 for a "known" brand. For the people like myself and others we'd rather spend $300 on a eBay Rev9 intercooler. Hopefully yours has a reasonable price!

Rather have a quality functional piece. There are some parts to cheap out on but IMO intercooler isn't one.. especially since front mounts cause issues. Not all about the scene points.

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Rather have a quality functional piece. There are some parts to cheap out on but IMO intercooler isn't one.. especially since front mounts cause issues. Not all about the scene points.

Been running my ebay front mount for over 3 years no issues. I am referring to the front front mount not the oem location mount.